Belkin problems (no suprise huh)

ZebraheadDude

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am using a Belkin F5D7630UK4A ADSL Modem, and am having problems connecting to XBox Live. I have no MAC Address filtering on, only a WEP key

I go to test xbox live connection, and it shows the network, with full bars of reception, great, I choose it and it asks for my WEP key, so I put that in. This is where it gets annoying, it always says "Not Connected" when it tries the "Wireless Network" test in the test page. How can it be not connected if it's on the list of networks to pick?

I ran a search, and found out I am running firmware 1.08.03 on the router, and have been told it is not compatible with the XBox 360 (typically), but have been told 1.04.03 works like a charm.

Can somebody send me this firmware? Belkin themselves are not helping at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I have the firmware. PM me your email address and I'll sort it.

Let me know of your success!

email address sent :thumbsup:

Ok, I installed it, but now the WLAN light won't turn on? The wireless signal is not being broadcast, at least I don't think it is. It is "enabled" in the router settings too. :(

Let me know if you get is sorted wont you. As if this is the definitive fix for this I'll add it to my website.

JasonSantucci said:
Ok, I installed it, but now the WLAN light won't turn on? The wireless signal is not being broadcast, at least I don't think it is. It is "enabled" in the router settings too. :(

I had the same problem with that router when I tried the same firmware downgrade - all wireless functionality stopped. You could try resetting the router to factory defaults and then configuring it again by hand (rather than loading saved settings). I had a bit of a scare after downgrading because I had some trouble upgrading again. I saw the 'reference' web interface a couple of times, rather than the Belkin one, and a couple of times it claimed that the firmware update I was applying was invalid. It even locked up during upgrade at least once. All of which was designed to change the colour of my hair. Persistence paid off and I managed to get back to the latest firmware, but of course it still wouldn't talk to the 360 wireless adapter.

I have to admit that I gave up in the end. It's a pity, because in all other respects that router worked perfectly well for me. I ended up buying the latest Belkin Pre-N router and ADSL modem because I didn't want to buy another router without upgrading somehow. So far, apart from a couple of occasions where it "forgot" its configuration settings early on, it is working very well. It seems to have a fairly powerful processor under the hood for this class of device, and it appears to have less latency (presumably through the firewall) than the previous router. I have to say that Belkin tech support have not yet bothered to reply to my query about the router forgetting its settings early on though, so it's up to you if you decide to give them any more of your custom. I have mixed feelings about it, but I'm happy with the performance of the device at the moment.

Jim

Strange, the downgraded firmware worked fine for me, but it was my last resort after resetting, defaults applied etc.

The only suggestion I could give is to re-apply the latest firmware, reset everything to default, then apply the older firmware and set up the router again. :rolleyes: Its a pain!

After several resets, re-upgrading firmware, messing around with restoring defaults etc. it still does not work. I noticed the WLAN MAC Address is 00-00-00-00-00-00, perhaps that is the problem. Is there a way to change it?

Thanks!

Ah I give up. I'm going to buy a Netgear.

Thank you everyone who offered assistance, particularly you english bob!

:thumbsup:

JasonSantucci said:
After several resets, re-upgrading firmware, messing around with restoring defaults etc. it still does not work. I noticed the WLAN MAC Address is 00-00-00-00-00-00, perhaps that is the problem. Is there a way to change it?

Hmmm, that happened to me too! Perhaps there are different hardware revisions and both you and I have the same revision, different from english_bob's. I couldn't find anywhere to change it, and was worried that it had gone permanently, but after upgrading to the latest firmware it reappeared.

My guess is that the later firmware changed the location where the MAC address was stored, copied the old one to the new location and zeroed out the old location. That would explain why the older firmware doesn't know the current address, and probably also why wireless networking stops working. Since all the firmware files are the same, they are unlikely to include an image of the location where the MAC address is stored, so I doubt even a hex editor would help. It's possible that Belkin could provide you with a firmware upgrade that would roll back successfully, but their support is less than stellar in my experience. When I reported the 360 wireless adapter incompatibility to them they were completely useless. The router does work with the 360 via a wired connection, if you could contrive to set it up that way, at least temporarily.

I don't know whether to cheer you on or not - I've spent good money on a replacement router now! :)

Jim

JasonSantucci said:
Ah I give up. I'm going to buy a Netgear.

Thank you everyone who offered assistance, particularly you english bob!

:thumbsup:

Be really carefull if you are going for Netgear, i had nothing but problems. Since i have bought a D-Link Wireless Router and it works a dream :)

DarkEntity said:
Be really carefull if you are going for Netgear, i had nothing but problems. Since i have bought a D-Link Wireless Router and it works a dream :)

Your the only person I've ever heard of having problems with Netgear. What model did you get and what was the problem?

I speak to hundreds of people about Xbox live and the Netgear routers are out so far in front for reliability and ease of use.

I have had problems with Netgear also. I recently tried the DG834G and worked fine until I noticed problems with the way it handled UPnP. We also have a very expensive 48 port smart switch at work and causes no end of problems. Saying this though I have found issues with a lot of routers but at least the main functions worked correctly.

royster said:
I have had problems with Netgear also. I recently tried the DG834G and worked fine until I noticed problems with the way it handled UPnP. We also have a very expensive 48 port smart switch at work and causes no end of problems. Saying this though I have found issues with a lot of routers but at least the main functions worked correctly.

Cant speak for their switches. But the DG834G works fine with UPnP and the latest firmware.. I'm using it right now. Nat Open all the way.

As for work. You should have gone with a Cisco Switch. They are the daddies.

Unfortunately we could not afford cisco prices though. As for upnp on the netgear, try using a bittorrent program such as azureus as soon as the computer has booted. UPnP would not initialise properly and I had to go into the management console and apply the settings for UPnP everytime the router was switched on. Incoming connections from the xbox were fine but still... Took it back in the end because the support from Netgear was terrible also.

I've not tried any other apps with UPnP as I dont use any p2p stuff.

UPnP is a nice lazy option. But when I used p2p in the past, portforwarding worked a treat. Its easy to set-up.

Yeah Cisco aint the cheapest..

:thumbsdow I'm gutted for you guys. I must of been lucky to get away with this, I mean generally downgrading firmware is always very risky. Strange that it did'nt work for you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom