1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Pre-N : Ronseal

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by philipb, Jan 17, 2005.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Or - it does what it says on the tin.

I finally took the plunge, in the hope of getting the best video streaming possible round the house. Bought the router to hook up to my modem and upstairs PC, and a network card for the downstairs PC. Hardware install was a breeze and got internet sharing going dead easy.

I couldn't get the two PCs to talk to each other though to share files etc. I guessed it might be a XP issue but decided to call Belkin support anyway.

The guy was great. It was a XP issue - had to get the firewall settings sorted out (SP2). He led me through it for about 20 minutes until all was working perfectly.

Now I can stream video smooth as silk, including HiDef stuff. I can even get Showshifter, installed on the downstairs PC, to record video on to the PC upstairs where the storage drives are. No dropped frames on record or playback :)

So happy to report that the product does what it says on the tin, is mostly easy to install (XP home SP2 apart) and the Belkin support is great.

If you've been thinking about going Pre-N i can testify it is a big step up from .11g.

2. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Another vote for Belkin PreN here too, now streaming Video around the house with ease, not only is it significantly quicker but the range is also a lot better.

Steve

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Steve

It was your earlier posts that finally prompted me to go for it.

Just as well it worked or I would have sent the boys round ;)

Ta mate.

4. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Just ordered this based on your positive comments... :smoke:

5. Ward

Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had to echo the comments above, just received my Pre-N kit, only problem the setup CD was for the wrong equipment. Belkin support, very good, received replacement disk within 48hrs and walked me through the Alternative setup.

And it is a dream, previous g standard blown away. A little expensive being new tech, but this is how wireless is meant to be.

6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Arrived today... Only installed the router so far, so it's running 'b' to my desktop, but the range/signal strength is much better... Now for the desktop card!!!

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Installed the software, fitted the desktop card and it doesn't work... It can't find the router and seems to cause my mouse pointer problems... Typical!!! :mad:

8. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    What a pile of cr*p... I tried to load a more recent driver file and now it's really screwed, as soon as I push in the card as per the wizard instructions, my PC freezes... Belkin technical support, what technical support..? 24*7, but I've got to call them again in the morning!!! :confused:

Really pis*ed off...

9. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Could one of you good people please let me know which driver you are using with the desktop card..?

Many thanks

10. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Finally got through to Belkin... The guy was pretty helpful but, as I suspected, it looks like a hardware conflict of some sort, which is a nightmare because Sony haven't released an updated BIOS for my Vaio desktop since I bought it...

My motherboard is an Asus OEM to Sony, now I'm no expert but do you think I could try another Asus BIOS..? My motherboard is a P4B266-LM but Asus do list a P4B266 without the LM..?

What do you think..?

PS It doesn't do what it says on my tin!!!

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Got your PM, not sure I can contribute any help though since my experience of WiFi is pretty limited to using my Netgear router.

Starting from first principles, what networking did you have before embarking on the Belkin road? What does the Device Manager think of the card, does it know what it is for example? A lock-up when you insert it would certainly point to a conflict, what resources does Device Manager think it's using?

I'd be leery of advising a BIOS update to a brand like a Sony, I've not had one but I treat them warily like I do Dell because they tend to fiddle with the components they buy in and so a 'standard' BIOS may be come non-standard and thus cause problems if you flash from the mobo supplier.

12. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Thanks for the reply... Having done a bit more digging on the BIOS I agree with you that I shouldn't touch it...

I've been using a Netgear 'b' router with a 3Com card for a couple of years without any problems, however I've just moved my PC to a different room and it's now just out of range so I thought I'd treat myself to an upgrade... The Belkin router works fine, it's just the desktop card which rather than being a straight PCI, is a PCI adapter and a laptop card... No conflicts in the Device Manager however as soon as I turn on the wireless card my mouse becomes erratic (sticky) and it can't find the network... Belkin say my two year old PC is too old!!!

Actually my existing 'b' desktop card does connect to the new router from the new position, but that kind of defeats the object...

What a pain...

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you install any Belkin-specific drivers, or any for 3Com before that? As I said, my only experience is with a Netgear router and Netgear PCI cards, never had a laptop so it's kind of hard to come up with any ideas as I've never tried to upgrade something like this and I know WiFi changed when SP2 came out, though I've no idea of the details.

In your situation I think I'd rip out XP's networking and re-installing it in the hope of getting it to forget the 3Com and play with the Belkin .. of course that burns your bridges unless you have an imager to recover the system if things go from bad to worse. :(

14. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Yes I installed all the new Belkin drivers and I even deleted everything 3Com wireless related from the registry... I've wasted too much time with this already, so I'm going to admit defeat and send it back...

Shame, because the router features look the business...

15. akash

akash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree i have the same probelsm especially constant disconnections. Even tried 3 pre-n different routers+desktop cards.
    Now fedup. Waiting for linksys to release their version.

16. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It took me 2 hours last night to get my old 3Com card to work properly again... :mad:
    I'll be going for a regular PCI card next time round... Unfortunately there's nothing else out there ATM...

17. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    akash, I'm now having the same problem with constant disconnections (ntl:home cable modem)... I wouldn't recommend this kit to my worst enemy!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: