1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Pre-N & Nebula networked TV

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RobsterD, Mar 17, 2005.

1. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi
    Hope someone can give advice
    Running Pre-N wireless router to a laptop this replaced a Dlink SuperG 108mps setup.
    The Pre-N stuff is far more reliable as many have said for streaming DVD's etc,but I'm really having probs with streaming TV via the Nebula server/client setup.
    The Dlink SuperG setup worked but was dropping frames,therefore hoping for improvements upgraded to Pre-N,but am really struggling to resolve this.
    Thought maybe it was a firewall issue but can stream to my other PC's but not wireless to my laptop.
    Upgraded/downgraded Nebula software and have also upgraded the firmware of the router with no diff.
    Anyone successfully running this setup?
    Cheers
    Rob

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Do you have a Pre - N compatible card in the laptop? This stuff like your previous setup is non standard and is fussy over what it works with. But if it works with everything else then points to an issue with the Nebula software and the Pre - N kit.

3. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yep got the Pre-N card in the laptop,dvd/music is brilliant can now sit in the garden and watch a DVD/music,but no TV :confused:
    Nebula has been tried with multicast/static IP config and is set not to send complete TS but still no joy.
    Running 3.128 on the Nebula side but I'm sure its a router configuration prob between the AP and the laptop.
    Rob

4. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can you set the Pre - N to handle the laptops IP as a DMZ so no port blocking or restrictions?

5. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I've set the Nebula to stream to the laptop instead of multicasting and enabled the DMZ feature I'm now getting sound but no video :rolleyes:
    Getting close
    Cheers for your input.
    Rob

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Do you find that the PC with the Nebula in can't use the sound card for anything else (e.g. listen to music on the main setup) whilst you are streaming TV to another PC in sever/cilent mode (i.e laptop)? I chatted to Nebula about this and it appears to be a serious issue......

As for your issue ours works fine over 802.11g, don't suppse its your antivirus software checking the files unecessarily?

7. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I use the Nebula in a server in silent mode,antivirus is not an issue as I can stream to another PC via cat 5 no problem.
    Finally got it working by using static IP's and not using multicasting.
    As soon as I go to multicasting it streams OK to one PC but not wireless to the laptop,this is with DMZ enabled/disabled.
    The router is not allowing the UDP stuff thro for some reason.
    Thanks for your input.
    Rob

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    You can only have one DHCP server in the system I assume the PC and the wireless route added up to two? Seriously, only ever set up these things with fixed IP's as it cuts down massively on obsqure issues.

Did I miss something in your reference to "silent mode" regarding the sound card issue?

9. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The wireless streaming didn't work with DHCP enabled or static IP addresses,the router was the only DHCP server on the LAN when I tried,running static at the mo.
    A bit frustrating as the only reason I got Pre-N was to stream TV to my laptop.
    "Did I miss something in your reference to "silent mode" regarding the sound card issue?"
    My sound is onboard and disabled as I only use the PC as a server so have not come across the problem you described.
    Again thanks for your input,I'll keep on playing :)
    Rob

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Although it won't help I tend to use a wired network switch for the PC's and plug a bog standard access point into it for the wireless stuff and the laptop etc. All set to static IP, my hardware firewall is the DHCP server and only gives out an address for my iPaq as that is the only thing I can't give a static IP to...... I wonder if your issue is the router in the system?