Belkin Powerline to new shed

frog61

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I have a shed in the garden, connected to our mains / meter at the side of our property. Its about 40-50ft away the shed from the meter.
My home wifi (BT) is not strong enough to cover my garden, so my idea was to have a powerline feed an ethernet cable to a spare BT hub I have going to act as an AP.
I have followed all the steps on this site Reuse a spare BT Home Hub as a Wireless Access Point | Unix etc.
Having now connected the powerline to the shed hub, I am getting a purple light, indicating no internet.

So my question is, with regards to a powerline, would it work going to shed, even tho the mains to the shed is not from the house but rather then actual meter as side of our house?

I'm not sure what else to do, the main router is on a basement, with the garden on the 1st floor.
I have a AP already on the 2nd floor covering that floor, but its not strong enough to cover the garden as well.

Any thoughts? - THX

Incidentally I am using Belkin Powerline F5D4078 V1

yes, i believe a link to the router is established, the lights are on and green on the belkin, nut no internet

I would ensure that the link is working first, can you plug a laptop into the Belkin Powerline With a network cable in the shed and see If you can get Internet

Having re-checked, the powerline link light is not showing. Meaning its not getting a connection, so theres the problem.
I guess therefore that its not seeing the powerline over the 2 separate mains, although they come off the same electrical input into the house.

Is the "purple light" on the BT router of the powerline plug...?

If you've repurposed an BT router as a stand alone Wi-Fi AP/switch combo (as described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum) then the "Internet" light will indeed whinge that is cannot find the Internet.

BT routers expect to "see" the Internet through their WAN/Internet port and don't "look" for it anywhere else. If you've repurposed your router as per the FAQ, then the WAN/Internet port on the shed router is disconnected and thusly the router will whinge that it cannot find the Internet there. But that's OK, it doesn't need to, it'll still work fine as a second AP/switch combo. Connect up a client (wired or Wi-Fi) and see if it works - it'll probably be just fine (assuming the HomePlug link back to the house is working correctly.) If he light bothers you, (it'll probably flash from time to time) stick some tape over it. I don't think it can be turned off on BT kit.

Powerline can work across two rings but very unlikely to work just because on the same incoming supply

Options

Lay cat6 cable
Create a wireless link between house and shed

As the powerline link light is not showing green, its the powerline not getting a connection. Router seems fine from a wifi perspective albeit no internet. Seems like back to drawing board.

Is the "purple light" on the BT router of the powerline plug...?

If you've repurposed an BT router as a stand alone Wi-Fi AP/switch combo (as described in the "Using Two Routers Together" FAQ pinned in this forum) then the "Internet" light will indeed whinge that is cannot find the Internet.

BT routers expect to "see" the Internet through their WAN/Internet port and don't "look" for it anywhere else. If you've repurposed your router as per the FAQ, then the WAN/Internet port on the shed router is disconnected and thusly the router will whinge that it cannot find the Internet there. But that's OK, it doesn't need to, it'll still work find as a second AP/switch combo. Connect up a client (wired or Wi-Fi) and see if it works - it'll probably be just fine (assuming the HomePlug link back to the house is working correctly.)
Thx, yes purple is showing, indicating no internet.
I reckon its the powerline. If powerline were working, I would be able to plug in my laptop to it and get network, but I cant.

Powerline can work across two rings but very unlikely to work just because on the same incoming supply

Options

Lay cat6 cable
Create a wireless link between house and shed
laying additional cable not an option anymore, too much other work has taken place now.
Wireless link, thats the idea, but getting something strong enough down there is proving difficult.
I do have UnFi AP, but its not strong enough to get to garden.

Wi-Fi transmit power is limited by law and most kit is, and always has been, transmitting at the permitted max, so don't hold out hope for some "uber-router" with "much better signal."

What you might be able to find is something to form a point-to-point Wi-Fi "bridge" (as they are sometimes called) possibly with some highly directional antenna. Some of them may even offer a "remote" end unit that integrates client access and p-t-p bridge in a single unit. Such things exist, though I've never installed one myself (last time I needed one, I subbed it!)

Last edited:
Thanks all, need to do research on this.
Seems like getting another UniFi bridge is needed. Not too bad a price at £70 odd.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Personally if you already use Ubiquiti I would use the pTP bridge I linked to and a UNiFi Ap Lite in the shed rather than the repurposed router . You can then add the new UNiFi AP to your existing system so can be managed together

Personally if you already use Ubiquiti I would use the pTP bridge I linked to and a UNiFi Ap Lite in the shed rather than the repurposed router . You can then add the new UNiFi AP to your existing system so can be managed together

Thanks! I am just getting started with UniFi, I have an AP Pro so far, using my NAS as a controller, but I'm still not totally sure what a controller does etc, so need to do a lot of research

The controller is just the software to manage the APs , it can be forgotten about to some degree once the APs are installed . It doesn’t need to be permanently running

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom