belkin n1 vision range issues / repeating

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by forever, Jan 6, 2012.

1. forever

forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So long story but I have had to move my router from the middle to one end of my house, this now causes issues with wireless access at the opposite end.
    I have a spare net gear 3500, so thought about using it as a repeater, but I don't think the N1 can work this way...
    Any suggestions? Shall I just buy another of the generic N extenders e.g. Edimax Wireless-N (802.11n) Range Extender (EW-7416APN) - dabs.com
    Or should I be able to connect the n1 and net gear up??
    Thanks for any help....

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    The latter: Ditch repeating unless you have no other option. Establish a cabled backhaul between your two devices (either using proper network cables or over the mains using HomePlugs) and create multiple wi-fi hotspots to service each area.

Have a read of the "HomePlugs" and "Using two routers together" FAQ's in this forum.

3. forever

forever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for the reply, should have mentioned that for some reason home plugs don't work at my house, also don't fancy running a load of cat 5 around seems very old hat :).
    I guess the only option is a wireless extender the netgear N one seems popular...

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,610
    Far from it: UTP cabling is a much superior networking paradigm than wi-fi (and homeplugs.) Currently Wi-fi can't get anywhere near the performance of switched Gigabit ethernet for lots of reason I won't get boring about.

However, if you don't want to cable and HP's don't work then you've got little choice that to use wi-fi repeating. Bear in mind that repeating wi-fi will half (or worse) you wi-fi bandwidth.