• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Belkin N+ Modem Router + PSP (only likes Channel 6)

Uniformis

Standard Member
Hello,

I've got a Belkin N+ Modem Router. My PSP would sometimes have trouble maintaining a stable connection and drop all of a sudden like from 30 secs to 30secs.

After trying several settings I've found that only with Channel 6 can I maintain a stable connection... However I've always been using Channel 1 on my previous routers, since it's recommended for gaming on Wii and PSP.

The Wii works fine with any channel, but I wonder if it'll be slower on Channel 6...

What should I do?

Thanks

Uniformis

Standard Member
Well the Wii runs better when the router is set to Channel 1 and runs worse on Channel 6.

The PSP runs better on Channel 6, worse on Channel 1.

With previous Ovislink Airlive WL-8064ARM I could run both on Channel 1 no problem.

t72bogie

Prominent Member
the channels overlap, they are only at 5 Mhz centres - 11x 22Mhz channels in 83.5Mhz of bandwidth - you do the maths ;)

generally most radios are tuned for max dBm output at centre or ch 6 with a few dB drop off at the edges of the curve - so 1 and 11 are worse as far as power goes, in general

anything else you notice is pure coincidence with interference/local conditions

the reason why an "N" router will work best at ch 6, is because it bonds 2 channels, either side of centre (6) to make the 300Mbps - an N router wont give "N" speeds if it is not on ch 6, it will "only" be 150Mbps at best

Uniformis

Standard Member
the channels overlap, they are only at 5 Mhz centres - 11x 22Mhz channels in 83.5Mhz of bandwidth - you do the maths ;)

generally most radios are tuned for max dBm output at centre or ch 6 with a few dB drop off at the edges of the curve - so 1 and 11 are worse as far as power goes, in general

anything else you notice is pure coincidence with interference/local conditions

the reason why an "N" router will work best at ch 6, is because it bonds 2 channels, either side of centre (6) to make the 300Mbps - an N router wont give "N" speeds if it is not on ch 6, it will "only" be 150Mbps at best

Hmm I'm not sure I understood what you're talking about, but you seem to know well how these things work.. So it's best I set to Channel 6?

Both PSP and Wii don't support N protocol. If I set to 802.11n only they won't connect. I have to set a mode that includes 802.11b (for PSP and Wii) and/or 802.11g (for Wii). Would the Channel issue you mention affect anyway?

Also if I choose Channel 6 what do I choose for extended channel? I can choose 2 or 10, but I don't know what it means. Wireless bandwidth is at max - 20/40MHz and mode at 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Hmm I'm not sure I understood what you're talking about, but you seem to know well how these things work.. So it's best I set to Channel 6?

There's no wifi channel that is inherently "better" than any other. The "best" channel in any particular location depends on loads of "local" factors like building structure, interference and any other wifi (or other) devices sharing the same and similar channels (and this varies from channel to channel.) As descibed, B/G wifi channels "overlap" each other, so choose one from the set of 1,6,11 and see which works best.

Both PSP and Wii don't support N protocol. If I set to 802.11n only they won't connect. I have to set a mode that includes 802.11b (for PSP and Wii) and/or 802.11g (for Wii). Would the Channel issue you mention affect anyway?

Imagine "B" is like speaking French, "G" is like speaking German and "N" is like speaking Spanish. It doesn't matter what you do to configure your "multi-language" access point to speak Spanish quickly, if the end stations "only" speak French and German, then the router must speak to them in French and German, Spanish is pointless until you have Spanish speaking end stations.

The channel selection has no bearing on which language is choosen, in the same way that cellphone network you and your mates use has no bearing on the language you use to talk to ech other. (Though see the caveat below.)

Also if I choose Channel 6 what do I choose for extended channel? I can choose 2 or 10, but I don't know what it means. Wireless bandwidth is at max - 20/40MHz and mode at 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n

B/G wifi channels are 20MHz "wide." Wifi frequencies are allotted (1-13/14) 5MHz apart ie there's a 5MHz difference between each frequency. Say you tune to C6, to get a 20 MHz "channel" the radio energy is spread out 10MHz either side of C6 into C4,5 & 7,8.

"N" style 40MHz channels are even wider so their radio energy spreads even further (20MHz either side) from the choosen centre frequency. So C6 would be into 2,3,4,5+7,8,9,10. There's some leeway to "favour" speading that channel towards the low end or the high end of the frequency range and that's what choosing c2 or C10 is all about.

However, this is all irrelevant if your end stations don't talk "N" (Spanish) as your router will have to ignore all the N features and "fall back" to B/G compatibility (French/German) mode.

Here endeth the lesson for today.

Last edited:

Uniformis

Standard Member
Thanks. Then I guess this specific modem router and the PSP have some odd incompatibilities if I'm able to use any channel on other routers, but forced to use Chan 6 on this one.

Oh well. At least the Wii doesn't seem to be different if I'm either on Chan 6 or 1.

Last edited:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
What is it that's "forcing" you to use C6?

I can see that setting the router to "N" mode and use 40MHz channels may do so - for example, my router has a "SuperG" mode which forces channel to C6 if I enable SuperG.

If none of you're end stations support "N" then there's no point in using 40MHz mode, so if you disable it (ie set 20MHz channels) I'd be surprised if you cannot then choose any channel you like.

Uniformis

Standard Member
What is it that's "forcing" you to use C6?

I can see that setting the router to "N" mode and use 40MHz channels may do so - for example, my router has a "SuperG" mode which forces channel to C6 if I enable SuperG.

If none of you're end stations support "N" then there's no point in using 40MHz mode, so if you disable it (ie set 20MHz channels) I'd be surprised if you cannot then choose any channel you like.

The PSP is. Even if I set the router to use 20MHz it won't maintain a stable connection. It works for some time then stops working, then works again, stops working again etc etc, like every 30 seconds. I've tried every channel and it only maintains a continuous stable connection on Channel 6, no matter what the other settings are.

All my other end stations can maintain stable connections on any channel.

But this router's range is better than my old one, so I've decided to not mind this... It could be the PSP that it's at fault by not supporting certain Belkin routers on certain channels, and not the router itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom