1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin Hi Speed DVD Creator & Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Ginnser, May 8, 2005.

1. Ginnser

Ginnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

Real novice here.

Trying to copy a program from my Sky+ to my Sony Laptop.

I have purchased the Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator and installed on my laptop, it acknowledges it is working ok in the system.

I have an S-Video cable from the Sky+ box to the Belkin USB box. I mark the program in Sky+ to copy, select it and it tells me that its about to play, so start recording, but when i run any capture software, nothing appears in the preview window, and get error messages.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mark

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    What error message are you getting?
    How much RAM and disc space do you have on the laptop?
    Is the processor fast enough to do the job? Check the specs on the Belkin box to see what is needed.
    What version of Windows are you running?
    Can you capture from another source? ie VCR, video camera etc.
    Is the S-Video lead (and the separate audio leads) ok?

Sorry to throw loads of questions back at you, but video capture problems are normally down to lack of resources or simple software setup errors.

Mark.

3. Ginnser

Ginnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Sony Viao laptop 3 months old with 512mb ram. meets all t
    e requirements for belkin. Running Win XP. Thr S-Video cable is new today. Tried to capture from my Sony DVD system with same cable and no joy. I am able to connect my Sony camcorder but using the cables supplied with it, not the s-video cable.

is tne s-video socket on the Sky+ box an output socket?

Win XP tells me the Belkin box is working ok.

Any ideas? Many thanks

Mark

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Well it could be the cable. Just because it is new does not mean it will work for sure! Try connecting it on another piece of equipment, perhaps Sky+ to TV. If that works then you know the cable is ok.

Yes, the S-Video socket on a Sky+ will be an output as it can't record from another source so would be no point in it being for input.

You said in your first post that you get error messages when you try to capture. Can you tell me what they say as this will help to narrow down where the problem is.

Mark.

5. Ginnser

Ginnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark

Cannot remember the error and bird watching Sky+ at the moment.

Just tried a moment ago to connect the S-Video on the Sky+ to the S-Video on my Sony DCR-HC14E camcorder and thought I might be able to record onto the camcorder, but I think I must have to set the camcorder uo to pick the S-Video cable up as an input source. All connected, and sky+ running on the copy function, camcorder set to video setting but all i get is the view through the lens and not the Sky+, S-Video input ?

Cheers for you help, thus far, much appreciated.

As you say it might be the cable !

Mark

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Camcorder needs to be set to 'playback' or 'VCR' mode to record via the S-Video input. This is assuming that your camcorder has the AV-in enabled, as most sold in the UK don't!

Mark.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    Just had a look on the Sony web site and the DCR-HC14E does not have either the DV-in or AV-in enabled, so you will never get your cam to record from an external source.

Mark.

8. uk_jih

uk_jih

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A silly question maybe, is the S-Video connection on the sky box working?

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another silly question but have you selected s-video as the input source? I had a quick look at the manual and it says connect a composite cable, are you sure it will capture s-video?

Dave

10. Ginnser

Ginnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave

Do i need to select s-video as an output source on Sky+ ?? I have selected the COPY function on the Sky+ box.

I have tried the S-Video cable from my camcorder to the TV and I only get a monochrome picture? So I now suspect that the canle is faulty, am going to change it today, will report back !

Thanks

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to enable the s-video output on the sky+. It should output the same picture as that on the scart. You don't have to go through the copy process to obtain a picture.

Let us know how you get on with a new cable.

Dave

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    The chances are that there is nothing wrong with the S-Video cable. Getting a B&W picture from an S-Video connection normally means that the TV input is not expecting S-Video but only composite. Make sure the input on the TV is set to/capable of S-Video and you should get a colour picture.

Mark.

13. Ginnser

Ginnser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Well changed the cable, and reconnected it to the camcorder just to test. B & W again, but then read you post, so set TV to expect S-Video, and bingo ! colour. So the cable is ok!

No connected the S-Video Cable to the Sky+ box, into the Belkin Hi Speed USB Creator and then into the USB on the computer. Then connected the whith and red cables fron the Sky+ box to the adaptor that came with the Belkin kit and plugged it into the Mic on my soundcard.

I check the control panel, Belkin Hi Speed Creator is fine, but when i run the software I cannot see an picture. So ran Windows Movie Maker, I have used this in the past to copy off the Sony camcorder. Used the capture button, but no video is being supplied to the computer, so nothing to capture!

Really dont know where I am going wrong?

Could it be that the Belkin Hi Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator needs a USB 2.0 port? How can I find out if my laptop has a USB 2.0 port? its a Sony Viao VGN-A217M only 3 months old?

Any help much appreciated, I am trying to copy my sons first birthday card message which was read out on BBC CBEEBIES channel last week !

Regards

Mark