Belkin gateway problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ged, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have a Netgear wireless router set up for my AOL account.
    Recently, I bought a Belkin Gateway and went through an hours worth of set up.
    The problem I keep getting is that I get faster response by turning it off and running the Netgear in a low signal situation.
    Sometimes the belkin will work and sometime it just takes ages to load pages (if at all), even though it clams a good connection!

Any ideas as to what is going on?

2. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What is this belkin gateway of which you speak? (model/part number)

I would guess that by 'gateway' you mean some form of wireless access point, but I am only guessing. If this is the case then it may be that when you connect to the belkin wirelessly it is unable to always connect to the internet either because it is not using the the Netgear router for DNS or or it is giving out it's own DHCP addresses which are conflicting with those given out by your netgrear router.

Apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick here, if you can post the model numbers of both the netgear and belkin devices and explain why you needed to buy the belkin device in addition to your netgear router I'm sure you could get a solution to your problem.

3. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Stuzo.

You are right, it is an access point/range extender.
    It was bought to increase the range of the netgear as the laptop would get a very low signal downstairs.
    I spent quite a while on the phone setting it up. When it works is is great. Intermittently, whilst claiming a good signal, pages don't load, so I turn it off and although the netgear signal is low it works.
    Leave the Belkin off for a while and restart it and it works OK.
    It is very odd, I was hoping to fit this in a remote location to hide it but cannot due to the necessity of switching it.

4. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    What model is it? and the netgear?

It sounds very much like the network settings on the belkin access point are not configured correctly to work through the netgear router.

Also, where about in your house is the netgear router. A Wifi signal behaves like a fountain of water would, rising up a short distance before falling down and out like a dome:

[​IMG]

It isn't quite this simple, as walls, floors and other obstacles are going to effect the signal, but if you have the opportunity to try out some different locations for the Netgear Router/WAP you may find that you don't need the Belkin WAP at all.

5. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The Netgear router is in the corner of the house, upstairs in a bedroom.
    Going off your diagram, if the laptop is in the lounge it will be OK but fades (as it does) when moving out to the dining room then conservatory.
    What I cannot work out is, why the range extender stops downloading?
    Like I said it works, is giving a good to excellent signal, then for some reason will stop (still says excellent connection).
    I don't think I can move the Netgear because of cables and power points etc.

6. Stuzo

Stuzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, well chances are that the problem is occuring because the DNS on you belkin device is not looking to the netgear router, or it is giving out DHCP addresses of its own.

What are the models of the Netgear router and the Belkin device?