1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belkin ADSL Modem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rasczak, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Could someone help with a minor but annoying problem I am having? I recently installed a Belkin ADSL 802.11g Wireless Router. I have it connected by a wired LAN connection to my main Desktop PC and by a Belkin Wireless 802.11g wireless card to a second PC.

The problem is on the Desktop PC only (i.e. the one physically connected by cables) I am having trouble accessing a (very) few internet sites. For example I cannot access www.pcformat.co.uk or secure banking at www.halifax.co.uk These sites work fine on the PC connected via the wireless network though.

I have tried disabling my Firewall (Norton) and it makes no difference.

Cany anyone suggest a possible solution? I appreciate it is a 'minor' problem but it is quite disabling being unable to access my finances!

:lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What do you mean you can't access these sites? What error are you getting? I presume they used to work, can you say at what point they broke (in relation to your adding the router)?

Try this, open a command prompt on both PCs and enter this:

ping www.pcformat.co.uk

(ignore the fact that this web board made that URL into a hyperlink, simply type the URL as you would do into a web browser) and compare the results, are there any differences (ignoring the 'ping' times).

Right now I can't get through to it all the way, I get stuck in Nildram's domain .. however if your WiFi-connected PC does and your desktop doesn't then you may see some difference, if you don't then more head-scratching will be needed. :)

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Cheers for the reply. The access to the sites stopped as soon as I installed the Belkin ADSL modem (I previous had a Speed Touch USB modem issued by BT Internet). I assume it must be a network setting or modem setting that is incorrect somewhere but I am sure I have tried just about everything.

I tried the Ping Command you suggested -on the Desktop PC it just times out. On the wireless PC (which is working with all sites) it pings it as normal.

I am certain it's not just because the sites are down - I have been having these issues for weeks but have been trying to solve it myself.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    what are the security setting on the router? Also Try belkin Tech support (based in india unfortunatley and have you the latest firmware?

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What I have a problem with is coming up with any idea as to what could block a handful os sites but not the vast majority .. especially in view of the fact that you say disabling your PC-based firewall doesn't affect it.

Please confirm, when you say

you're mean the you CAN access the vast majority of sites, there's just a small number you can't, yes?

BTW, I got that command wrong :blush: .. I didn't mean to say 'ping' I meant 'tracert', try that one. This prduces a trace of every 'hop' between you and the destination, even if the target system is down you should still see the route packets are taking there.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Yes I know it sounds odd - I have never come across a situation like it before - it allows access to virtually all sites: the only ones which it doesn't allow access to is www.pcformat.co.uk (inc their forums) and Halifax online banking. No other site seems to be blocked :confused: And I know the sites are working because I can access them on the Wireless PC.

I thought it might be a problem with 'secure' sites: but its not because I have been into countless secure shopping sites since I installed the modem.

Cheers for that. I tried this on the Dektop PC that doesn't have access to PC Format. The trace works upto line 7 where it reports 'lon1-9.nildram.net [195.66.224.59]' and then line 8 onwards just reads 'Timeout'. I'll have to wait before I can do the same on the wireless PC as it is being worked on at present. If the problem is with Nildram can I re-route it?

Cheers hornydragon - I may well end up trying that although I don't fancy my chances much. When I was researching which modem to buy the comments all seemed to say get the Belkin (unless you need tech support)!

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    Just as an update I have done the 'tracert' command on the 'working' wireless PC now - it does exactly the same as the Dekstop, i.e. it times out after line 7 'Nildram'. But the wireless PC remains able to access the webpage :confused:

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, Nildram did that to me, clearly they've some sort of DDoS prevention in place .. but as you say, the main point is that one PC got through the other didn't.

While not a networking 'expert' I like to think I know something about the subject, have been configuring firewalls for 5 years and networking for 10, but this one has me beat .. if you were using 2 ISPs I'd have some ideas but something specifically on one PC on a router but not the other is something I've never seen.

Sorry mate, I admit defeat. :(

One thing, is there any logging in the Belkin? A Linksys router I had could log activity inbound and outbound either in its' own web interface or shunted to a PC on the lan, does your have any such logging?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No problems - thanks for trying to help. I might just give up on this one.

10. HarshKarma

HarshKarma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's what I would do:

For ease of reading PC-A is current wired machine, PC-B is current wireless machine.

When I initially read this thread, my gut reaction was that it was a DNS misconfiguration on PC-A. Type " nslookup " (without quotes) into each machine. The information that pops up should be identical on both machines. For example, every machine connected to my network says:

Default Server: dsl
    Address: 192.168.0.1

If they are different, then change PC-A to match PC-B.

If they are identical then try:

Unplug router from PC-A. Unplug wireless card from PC-B. Plug wireless card into PC-A.
    Try again and see what happens.

If you can now access the sites, then the problem is with the router. If you still can't access the sites, then it's a problem with the configuration of PC-A.

The router probably has a built-in firewall (access normally via web - see router documentation) and if you're using XP SP2 then you get a firewall with that as well (access via control panel).

Let me know how you get on and I'll see if I can take it further.

--
    Edward

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ah, DNS, didn't think of that in this context, again due to the apparent very limited nature of the problem .. however, as well as doing what Edward's suggested, go to Settings | Control Panel | Network Connections, then right-click on the LAN connection, select Properties then double-clickTCP/IP and check the DNS Server settings on both PCs.

My guess is that they could be using different DNS servers, which can produce weird results from time to time when resolving the same domain name.

If fact, I didn't ask the most basic question of all :blush: .. exactly what error message are you getting?