Belden 1694A by the metre

ectoplasm

Established Member
Reaction score
Where in the UK can I order Belden 1694A or the equivalent Canare cable by the metre?

Farnell do 1694A in black, but I'm after white ideally.

Also, what kind of crimping tool would I need to do the job properly? Not looking to spend too much as I'm only going to be making a couple of cables.

Would something like this do the job, or am I barking up the wrong tree: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIRE-STRIPPER...040131211QQcategoryZ30928QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I think you will need a new crimping tool. I 'lost' my Canare some time and I am looking to replace with a cheaper one like a Palladin but all the companies involved are less than helpful at the moment. I will post when I know more.

I have black 1694 if you need a small amount.

Thanks for the replies :)

Nic, what kind of crimping tool would I need? Would any of the cheapo ones on Ebay do the job? As mentioned, I'm looking to spend as little as possible as I'll only be using it to make a couple of cables. Is it just the metal cylinder that needs crimping?

Thanks for the Canford link keyser :) How does that cable compare to 1694A?

Still trying to find something in white though...

You need to crimp both the pin and the hex grip. Previous experience has shown me you NEED both a crimper didicated to the cable ideally (1694a as opposed to RG6) and as you probably know you will need a canare socket specially for that cable (ie 1694 socket).I have tried compromising in the past and just had failed crimps. I am waiting to hear again from canare confirming what plugs I need, then I can match a cheaper (but not ebay cheap) crimper to match the canare plugs and cable. God knows where my crimper went :( borrowed and not returned I expect. I would have thought my new crimper would be £40 and £20 for dies, so don't expect to do it on the real cheap which is why I often use Mark and Paul for this stuff now.

Thanks Nic :)

Are there any diagrams floating around on the net that show the 1694A/Canare crimping procedure? I haven't physically examined a bare cable and connector yet and would like to know what's involved in pictorial form.

I don't think I'd be willing to fork out in the region of £60 for something I'd only use once or twice either. You mention you've tried crimping with standard tools before without much luck; in your opinion is it impossible or just a bit hard to do? Which tools/dies are the closest match to the proper Canare gear?

LFCRules said:
Are Mark Grant's special's no good to you, here?

I am buying several cables from Mark but I need to get a few custom bits done myself, namely Playstation 2 to component, 3.5mm to 2x phono and XLR to phono.

Nic Rhodes said:
I think you will need a new crimping tool. I 'lost' my Canare some time and I am looking to replace with a cheaper one like a Palladin but all the companies involved are less than helpful at the moment. I will post when I know more.

I have black 1694 if you need a small amount.

That's an expensive loss!

It was suggested in the 'homebrew' thread that people might like to lend out their tools, but given the cost of special deliver postage of the tools etc... I suggested it would be cheaper for people who own the tools to make the cables and send them.

Looks like there are no specific Paladin dies at this moment but they are investigating further, tbh I have printed out the Canare crimp details again :(

update from Paladin

Thank you for contacting us again. I have spoken with our engineer in
our office regarding you issues. Our part# 3240 can only strip your
items mentioned below but CANNOT crimp or cut them. This is due in part
to the non standard sizes Canare manufactures.

Looks like it is Canare or nothing which explains previous experience.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom