Belated Sequels - Shameless Nostalgia And Best Left Alone?

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
There‘s a lot of hopes pinned on on Top Gun 2, Ghostbusters: Afterlife and The Avatar sequels (though they’re not out til the year 3000).

richp007

Distinguished Member
There‘s a lot of hopes pinned on on Top Gun 2, Ghostbusters: Afterlife and The Avatar sequels (though they’re not out til the year 3000).

None of us will be alive to see the Avatar sequels, so we don't have to worry about those. We can ask our grandkids in the afterlife what they were like (no Ghostbusters pun intended).

It's all about one film. The TC making his return to the TG.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Surprised that Jumanji hasn't been mentioned yet. I never particularly held the original in high esteem but thought what was done with 'Wecolme To The Jungle' was pretty good. It was totally it's own thing, but still continued the story of the original 22 years later! And it had Karen Gillan in it too...:love:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Both Top Gun 2 and Ghostbusters : Afterlife have a lot riding on them in terms of keeping the existing fanbase happy and huge expectations. Wouldn't it be great if both delivered on those fronts ?! I'm cautiously optimistic that we might just get a couple of killer belated sequels based on the footage so far.

Amoku

In fact TV has it's fair share of comebacks too.

Unfortunately though the first two I can think of - The X-Files and Twin Peaks - absolutely shambolic. Although I'm sure some did appreciate the latter. I did love the original run.

Twin Peaks The Return is one of the greatest works of art in history. Let alone TV.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Twin Peaks The Return is one of the greatest works of art in history. Let alone TV.

Yeah we're never going to agree on that :) But I appreciate your view.

I expect we will agree on the masterpiece that was the original series however.

Amoku

Yeah we're never going to agree on that :) But I appreciate your view.

I expect we will agree on the masterpiece that was the original series however.

Well. It's enjoyable and entertaining, certainly. I hold it close to my heart but it's clearly compromised as a literary text.

However, I suggest you return to The Return one day. Not only do we leave our expectations out the second time, we also lose that anxiety for what is (or isn't) coming and stop lingering on the absent. Instead, we see what is present: a behemoth of depth and breadth that grasps at so little but reaches the ends of the universe.

The original series was a novel where they let everyone have a go at each chapter. The Return is poetry expressed as abstract visual art.

Personally, I struggle with poetry and struggled with this film at first. But there's a musical beat there waiting to be heard.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Interesting that Avatar 2 has become a belated sequel by default. It's just down to Cameron's endless tinkering about, and could have been in cinemas about 5 or 6 years ago. Can't honestly believe that it will have taken 13 years to come out! (assuming the 2022 date sticks...)

Lucky woman

Interesting that Avatar 2 has become a belated sequel by default. It's just down to Cameron's endless tinkering about, and could have been in cinemas about 5 or 6 years ago. Can't honestly believe that it will have taken 13 years to come out! (assuming the 2022 date sticks...)

I agree, we have been waiting for him for too long ...o_O And after all, most importantly, the sequel was planned almost immediately. It all comes down to the complexity of filming, money, and now the release ...

And therefore, I am very pleased with the continuation of all these films. Not only because of nostalgia, but also because now the sequel can be made much better thanks to progress in all areas.:cool:

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Edit: oops obviously not a remake but a reboot/reimaging. My mistake

If you are including TV remakes surely you have to include Battlestar Galactica which in itself is about to be remade again.
Very much agree over Battlestar Galactica , but only in terms of a worthy reboot rather than a belated sequel. As much I enjoyed it, I would have loved to have seen the surviving original cast members return for a true sequel. They almost managed it bringing Richard Hatch back into the fold, and was one of the better elements of the reboot.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
I'll give Psycho II a mention. I'm well overdue a rewatch, but remember it being a pretty respectable sequel, and a full 23 years after Hitchcock's original. Bringing Anthony Perkins back was definitely key to it working.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom