1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bel Canto eVo 6?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by mailaht, Oct 11, 2004.

1. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that.

A friend of mine auditioned Lowrider's Bel canto. What I can remember:

Audiophile amp (works well with krell processor. smooths it)
    Very tight/controlled bass
    Lots of power.

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think he claims it is very tube-alike. I never heard any of belcantos but someone I know claims they are rather bright.
    Different people different ears...

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bright the BelCanto, I wonder what else your friend has... :eek:

Actually I got the eVo 6 to replace Bryston 4B ST for front speakers, and Powerpac 120 for center speaker, they sounded a bit on the bright side with my Krell Showcase processor, (sounded better with the TAG DP), I use the BC bridged, 3 x 360 watts...

The biggest improvement is that the "distortion" I had on high frequencies, wich translated in some harshness, is completely gone, it sounds like analog, really tube like, but all the detail and extension is there...

What I didnt expect was that bass is also more controled, somehow room ressonances are minimized, someone sujested in Audio Asylum that it must be more imune to sound feedback than the Bryston...

Somehow my system now sounds cleaner, no distortion, no ressonances, so much detail, it really is a large step forward... :smashin:

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He has Lex, I guess reason for calling it bright is he swapped Mc Intosh 7106 for belcanto.

... will ask him...

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Some friends even "complaint" that they would like more treble, IMHO they miss the harshness they are used to, but the BC doesnt do... :rolleyes:

8. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not bad, still they have now a new Tripath chip, better board, redesigned circuits, plus new output CAPs... :rolleyes:

Also, those figures are "normal", bridged it sounds even better, plus digital powers have their problems near the max output, wich is 3 times higher bridged... :smashin:

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Steve.
    Quoting "stereopile" whatever next..... :rotfl:
    I actually found a belcanto to listen to, not bad really, the sound is certainly different and some did comment on maybe distortion being a bit strange at certain freqencies but I suppose it is the future... ;) I'd love Doug Self to comment on this.....

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Anyone who plans to assemble a top-flight, no-holds-barred home theater system simply must audition the Bel Canto eVo2...Need a superb amplifier for your new space-age system? Welcome to the 21st century of digital amplification-the age of the eVo2."

Steven Stone, Stereophile Ultimate AV, September 2004

Graham, you naulty boy... :p

12. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "The modified (Gen II) eVo upped the heat in that 'shock department' as though a minuscule amount of fuzz or blur had been removed to render wooden cracks on metal, hand claps, finger snaps and foot stomps that little but significant amount more immediate and unprocessed...It's both subtle and completely obvious - subtle in that it's not frequency-domain specific as in more bass or less treble; obvious as in you relating more powerfully to the music because some kind of invisible barrier or drag has been removed. From a certain point onward, this type of improvement in audio transparency and immediacy can come at a very high price."

13. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "This time, though, the hair stood up on the back of my neck. This is what our hobby is about, and why I keep seeking the holy grail of perfect music reproduction! At the end of the song, Alison's voice again slows, tapering off to complete a song drenched in the emotion of lost love, but I had found my new love in the Bel Canto eVo2s...

If the eVo2's only advantage was its lack of heat, it would be worth consideration for that reason alone. The fact that it sounds better than amps costing twice as much makes it a keeper in my book."

14. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll be warming my house with single ended triode amps next! :D

For those who fancy doing a bit more reading about digital amp technology Bruno Putzey of Philips did quite a reasonable summary of what's what here:
    http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/amplifiers/digital_classD_amplifiers.html
    A polished up version is also available on the bryston site:
    http://www.bryston.ca/newsletters/74_files/vol7is4.html

For those who want some industrial bedtime reading monsieur Self has done the subject of the inner workings of the analog amp classes to death in his books... for hardened audiophiles skip the first chapter as you will be spitting blood at some of his statements!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...73272/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_8_1/026-0887226-5034803

Digital amps the future? - personally I think it's a very useful addition to the arsenal of designs to use, but a well designed modern class B can still consistently outperform class D (and the so called class T) and I don't think that situation will change for a while.

Bottom line is have a listen to it in your system and see if it can deliver the goods for you. You might be pleasantly surprised ...

15. kraal

kraal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Bryston :thumbsup: :clown:

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I replaced a Bryston 4B ST with a BelCanto eVo 6... :eek:

Also, all my friends that heard both preferred the second, more powerfull bass, more detailed mids, absolutely no harshness on highs, go figure... :hiya:

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Personally I'd prefer a Bryston 7BSST (lots of them) but room acoustic and a miriad of other influences almost certainly will mean that a BelCanto might well fit the bill nicely. I remain "sitting on the fence" for a while yet though as class "d" (or whatever you want to call it today) needs a bit more work yet to convince me. Mind you "power for buck" warrents an audition....... I worry that because its easier, cheaper and smaller means we will be forced into using these things and the likes of TAG and Bryston users will be looked on like valve amp people are now :rotfl:

18. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Graham,

Have you heard a BelCanto power yet? (GEN2 is supposed to be a nice improvement, as I never heard the original, I wouldnt know for sure), better yet, compare one with equivalent Bryston on the same system... :rolleyes:

I lived with Bryston ST for quite a long time, tested SST but didnt like, maybe improper setup, but I doubt, so it is not just a first impression I am talking about... :smoke:

Anyway, Bryston matches TAG well, but is a bit too bright with Krell...

19. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meanwhile I had the opportunity to try a Bel Canto eVo4 (same as the eVo6, but only 4 channels). Stephen Harper of AudioConsultants in Reading managed to get the UK distributor to send the eVo to me for a week of testing. Both very helpful chaps, highly recommended.

Btw, I did all comparisons in bridged mode, so as 2-channel amp, which sounded marginally better to me than the 4 channel configuration.

At home, I pitched the eVo against my old Rotel 5-channel amp (see equipment below). Not surprisingly, it beat the old Rotel in all aspects, although not by as much as I would have hoped for the price.

Then I tried it against two Audionet Amp II max mono blocs, fed by the Audionet Art V2 CD-player via the Audionet Pre G2 pre-amp and Nordost Quadrofil XLRs, driving Wilson Benesch ACT II speakers via Nordost Red Dawn cables. A bit unfair, I admit, as the Audionets cost about £7000 compared to about £3500 for the eVo4, but this Audionet/Wilson Benesch system (owned by an envied friend of mine) is a bit of a Benchmark for me and the Amp II max are clearly the most impressive amps I have ever heard (not because of their sheer power, but because of their control, resolution and the sweetest sound I have heard of transistors so far). However, I was still surprised how clearly they declassed the eVo. At these prices, according to the law of diminishing returns, I only expect subtle differences. Not so. The Amp II max had far more control in the base and significantly more open and detailed (not bright) treble. Switching between them was a bit like opening and closing a heavy curtain in front of the speakers. Anyway, no need to describe the differences in flowery wine-tasting-like high-end sales speak. This was a clear knock-out.

Next I tried the eVo against a Musical Fidelity NuVista M3 integrated hybrid in the same price class as the eVo, fed by a Michelle Orb Turntable (I forgot the details of arm, cartridge and phono pre), driving Monitor Audio 50 speakers via Nordost Blue Heaven cables. But again, the eVo could not compete regarding control of the base and detail in the treble.

Generally, after all I read here, I was a bit disappointed by the Bel Canto eVo. Admittedly, it looks great, feels great (heavy) and appears well manufactured. Unfortunately, the sound is not my cup of tea. It has a beautiful, musical midrange, but not enough control, not enough detail for my liking. And I would not support the view that the eVo sounds like valves, as I quite like the sound of some vacuum tube amps and hybrids (e.g. Pathos, T+A V10, Octave).

T.

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I tend to agree with that, having had a long listen to the latest BC eVo6 with what I consider to be my favorite speakers (PMC OB1, CB6, DB1+ surrounds,), I am still quite impressed with the mid range power and control but things do still fall apart a bit at higher frequencies (silk dome tweeters don't like it much....) and things are much more controlled using Bryston 7BSST's even if the new BC eVo6 gives it a close run in the 2.5kHz - 6Khz range...... The BC is good but not giving the heavyweight analogue amps a really hard time yet. BTW I noticed for the first time ever a mains borne nasty whilst using the eVo6 which instantly disapeared when it was turned off...... I'm not going down the fancy mains leads and power conditioner route as the amp isn't good enough to warrent it yet, worth an audition though in your own home with your chosen kit, any other demo is a waste of time....... Of course other alternatives in this "class D" amp technology exist like "Moles" and their modular ranges which I believe people like PMC are looking into.........

21. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First, happy 2005 for you all... :beer:

I am glad you tried the Belcanto eVo, after all it does the job, no weird digital sounds come out of it... :clap:

And I respect your opinions, just would like to make sure the units had at least a month running prior to your tests, it sure improves bass and treble with at least that time running... :rolleyes:

22. mailaht

mailaht
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Difficult to tell if the eVo 4 (Gen II) I tested had a proper break-in before I got it. Over the week I used it, I could not really notice a change in sound. But it surely had no signs of use and still smelled new, so to be fair, it may have been brand new.

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The one I had ran for over 300 hours in my hands......It wasn't new when we got it..... Apart from speakers nothing needs that amount of running in.........

24. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought 2 eVo 6 Gen2, the first I sold to my brother as they used different output CAPs on the newer version, but I did run-in both, and the sound changed considerably during the first two weeks, and a bit more during the next weeks...

And I mean a lot, particularly bass (wooly at first) and treble (sounded thin), I was very worried when I first heard it, I bought without testing, (with a good discount, as it was the first unit in Portugal), but after 2 weeks was ok and keept improving... :rolleyes:

Dont ask me why... :suicide: