1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beko 20lb450 Lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Carl G, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience/reviews of the BEKO 20LB450 LCD (20")? It's currently on sale for £499 which on face value seems a brilliant deal. Is it too good to be true?

I've been looking for 2 LCD's, one for the kitchen and one for the bedroom with a total budget of under £1000. I had originally decided on two Sharp LC 15E1E's but after a trip to Cu**ys I'm now undecided. If it's any good I'd be willing to pay another £75 for the extra 5 inches :)

Cheers

Carl

2. Psycho_Hamster

Psycho_Hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Carl,

I have just come back from having a close look at the aforementioned street vendors LCD display wall and I can say that initial impression was impressed with the Beko for the price. Then the detailed look kicked in...........

On the plus side - thin and wall mountable and has 2 scart sockets - great for the video sender and a local DVD in the bedroom. Has a good look to it and doesn't look 'cheap'.

The negatives :-
    The screen is very reflective - if you have a black/dark screen or dark borders you get a great view of the rest of the shop plus you looking right back at you. Handier than one of those mirrors you get for the corner of monitors to stop people creeping up on you - not so good for watching film noir or space thrillers.

On screen menu also looked out of focus and hazy (compared it to the LG next to it which was crystal clear to check the eyes) - fiddling with the sharpness setting helped some but it did not go completely.

Compared to the others on the display it did not appear to be as bright and clean as I would expect. Again fiddling with the settings to make it comparable to others there got closer but still didn't convince me.

True the £499 price tag is a draw but why the sudden drop from £1000? Is it a £1000 LCD for half price or is it a market adjustment/end of line model? The LG 20" next to it RE20LA70 looked better but it is £100 more - guess you look at what you are prepared to compromise on - the reflective screen is something that gets a cross on my personal check list.

Anyone else with any views on this?

P_H

3. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after much consideration I ended up buying it. Two infact and I am mightily impressed. In the shop I compared it to the LG and the best of the 15 inch bunch and found no comparison. The screen is reflective but will be fine in the environments I will be mounting it in. I do actually prefer the glossy feel it gives. Comparing it to the 23 and 30 inch Philips was no contest either. The Philips are more greyed out and and much more pixelated than the BEKO.

I've been testing it out at home and the autoswitching between 16:9 and 4:3 broadcasts on different SKY channels works well.

My real concern with buying it was the name. I'd never heard of BEKO but I don't think I really care now. "At the end of the day" it looks great and sounds great. That's all I was looking for in an LCD. If it said the word "Sony" on it I would have bought it a week ago.

I am no AV expert though and my only big purchase has been a Sony 32FX66 until now. But when comparing the BEKO to the Sharp 15e1e which I've heard is probably the best 15", my layman eye could not provide a reason to not go with the BEKO.

Maybe in 6 months both my TV's will blow up and I'll wish I'd gone with a brand name. Time will tell

To be honest though, the remote control is a piece of **** but I'll be using a sky+ remote anyway.:)

I hope others out there can see past the name and if they admit they actually like it, seriously consider buying it.

Cheers

Carl

4. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, I imagine the salesman was lying. I don't think the BEKO's ever seen a £1000 price tag in its life except for the plasmas next to it.

5. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Carl, I've just bought one for the bedroom. Price was key in the decision. After getting it home I've noticed the following;

In some dark scenes at the top and bottom edges of the picture there appears to be a fault resulting in a lighter area, almost like when you put speakers next to a crt. I'm currently asking questions about this. Do you notice this fault ?

Picture appears to not be so clear when viewing off horizontal axis. I think this is a problem with LCD's in general.

I'll let you know ...

6. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

The problem you mention above is what happens on LG's 20 inch panel which I believe BEKO is using. This is a common occurance on cheaper panels, I've seen it on Panasonic models too. Light leakage I believe it's called?

The Sharp E1E (discontinued model by the way, S1E has replaced it) doesn't have this problem as it has 170 horizontal and vertical viewing angles.

7. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't set them up properly yet, but I'll be viewing the TV's face on so I'm not sure if I'll notice any angle issues. I'll have a look for the light issues too.

If that's all the problems they've got I'll be well chuffed as they're only for bedroom and kitchen use.

I'l let you know.

Carl

P.S. The remote control is pretty impressive isn't it.:laugh:

8. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I was impressed by the LG 20" in dixons at the weekend for £599. is this beko effectively the same (same screen - rebadged unit?)

If so, for £499 it seems a bargain (in the strangely distorted world of LCD pricing :)

9. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From memory, I actually preferred the BEKO screen - don't recall it being the same one though

10. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The thing that would annoy me about the Beko would be it's shiny surface.

Why o why do companies put a shiny panel over their non-reflective LCD panels? Might as well stick with CRT!

For worst offender, check out Thomson's 27 inch.

11. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be devil's advocate, they've put a jet black finish behind the glossy front so that when the TV is off it does look particluarly nice and not a matt greyish panel. Looks nice on a white wall when it's off which I suppose is most of the time.

12. Psycho_Hamster

Psycho_Hamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - just to add my 2p worth.

I steered away from the Beko due to the shiny surface - looking at angles and position from bed to wall I came to the conclusion I would be able to see the light in the ceiling in the screen.

Went instead for the LG 20" for the £100 more and am impressed with what I have seen so far. Took some setting up as the default factory settings were far from optimal - too much colour, brightness and contrast too high but now looks more than acceptable.

Even getting comments from she who must be obeyed as to how much room we have reclaimed now that the 21" CRT TV has gone.....bonus points and an LCD - life is good.......

Just got to work out a way now for the wireless network to stop interfering with the 2.4GHz Video Sender short of moving the wireless to 802.11a standards!

P_H

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Couldn't agree more. Lovely image but like looking into a mirror. Appalling.

14. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i was looking to get this screen my salf to use as a pc screen asi have a 15 inch tft naw and thats a 20 + tv its a bargin

15. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

That's great! Now she won't mind when she comes home and finds you've introduced an 80 inch plasma to the living room!

;)

16. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Well, I decided that the Beko picture was just not good enough and returned it to Curry's who admitted that even their instore model showed signs of leakage, grey areas near the edge where it should be black. In the end without spending silly money ie 1000 for a bedroom tv I opted for the 20" LG. They even knocked a 100 quid off the LG as the Beko which was on offer at 499 is now 799!!!!. The LG can also be tilted downwards the picture was a lot better and the blacks were not grey ... Although there is a slight deteriation right next to the edge where it seems lighter. The LG's sound is also slightly on the thin side .... but overall the picture quality seems much improved.

17. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after finally installing my 2 BEKO's I was impressed with the picture......for 1 hour. After that, both TV's went greyish showing lots of leakage and generally very greyed out.

So I'm going back to Curry's with the two to return them and consider the alternatives.

Is the 20" LG definitely recommended and what's the best price?

18. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Carl definately the LG 20" for the price I think is the one !

The picture is miles better with only a hint of the greyish edge in v.dark scenes. The rest of the screen contrast for blacks is fine.
    The sound also does not have much weight with it , which again doesnt bother me as I normally have it on quietly late at night. You also have the option for external output to a midi system.

I also haven't noticed any 16:4 auto switching. I'll double check the manuals later.

I think that without spending 1K on a bedroom/kitchen TV that the LG is well priced. Well it is if you manage to get a £100 off like I did.

19. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get it for £499?

If so I'll definitely give it a go

20. ebarbour

ebarbour
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Psycho_Hamster,

what settings are you using for your Lg? I have purchased one and was not very impressed with the factory ones - have played a bit - but always looking for improvements.

Any help much apprec.

21. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Carl , no didnt get £499 as with the Beko which btw is now £799, but the manager at curry's worcester met me half way at £599 for the LG which is £699 and I also managed the same price for the warranty whic moved up a bracket due to the price.

I'll check what settings I've used tonight.

22. Carl G

Carl G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, they've brought the price down to 599 so I'll see what I can do, obviously I'll threaten to take my £1000 elsewhere or buy two LG's

Look forward to hearing if the LG is really up to scratch as I've got myself used to the size of the 20 inch, and especially the low price..

23. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I have no problems with the picture everything seems to behave itself. Pictures sharp the darks scenes are satisfactory and the colour vivid. If I remember correctly Sharpness and brigthness I have set to about 40 and colour and contrast about 70. The picture seems very natural at these settings without any greys where there should be blacks. A s I said there is a v.slight grey leakage on the border sometimes, but not noticible and certainly no where near as bad as the Beko. Check out the sound quality to as the LG is slightly less weigthy than the Beko.. I'd Go For It !!

24. Dexstroyer

Dexstroyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Have you got any info on this model? I am looking to find out the refresh rate m/s if you know of a site with tech spec etc?

Cheers