Behringer nu6000 dsp help setting up software file for sub woofer

LOWSUB

Basically I want to build my own subwoofer and put the parts together to save a packet in the process, I have decided on the FI ASP4 15" sub woofer and to power this subwoofer the power amp I have been recommended is the Behringeri Nuke NU6000DSP simply because I will be running a second sub woofer in a couple of months after I have the first one installed and set up. The only fly in the ointment is the set up of the Behringeri it seems to be software based & a very complicated intricate process for a complete novice like myself who would need weeks if not months to figure all this out is there anyone who could help with making a file for me which I can then upload to this power amplifier so the above mentioned sub woofer will work perfectly in my sub box set to the correct I am going to go with the FI ASP4 15" and the subwooefr box build is going to be a 20'' Cube which will be about 90l with 2200wrms 108db at 20hz all this information I'm pleased to announce was provided by Scotthehat so anyone wanting to know how I arrived can read my previous posts. So basically if someone who is handy and knows more than me who can write em a sound file so I can upload to my power amplifier or how to go about doing this any advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Sure someone else with more know about the dsp side of things will be along soon.

But just wanted to say do you not have any other eq built in your av amp.
Also remember that the driver in that size box is not far off flat so it will depend on room. And Im pretty sure when you get it running you will know its limits.

My driver has no protection as i have a non dsp version. But the dsp version has hpf so you can do alsorts and from what i have seen its not hard software to use.

LOWSUB

Sure someone else with more know about the dsp side of things will be along soon.

But just wanted to say do you not have any other eq built in your av amp.
Also remember that the driver in that size box is not far off flat so it will depend on room. And Im pretty sure when you get it running you will know its limits.

My driver has no protection as i have a non dsp version. But the dsp version has hpf so you can do allsorts and from what i have seen its not hard software to use.

Hi! Scotthehat I have an Anthem MRX 300 so to a certain degree I can set the crossovers from the AV Amplifier it then things start to get complicated trying to marry the Behringeri to my AV Amp! This is where I need some advice, wow this is the stuff nightmares are made of, lol...

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
Hi! Scotthehat I have an Anthem MRX 300 so to a certain degree I can set the crossovers from the AV Amplifier it then things start to get complicated trying to marry the Behringeri to my AV Amp! This is where I need some advice, wow this is the stuff nightmares are made of, lol...
To be honest that should be all you need then maybe just set a hpf. For added protection.

hoppaz

Scott has given some great advice. If you want to find out what the dsp function in the amp can do why not email Behringer direct. Look a few threads below and you will get the [email protected] email address.

Edit: This isnt to say that advice here is not the best its just I asked Behringer to join so it can help the diy community here. Chase from Behringer did so why not make his joining process worth while and ask questions direct to the horses mouth so to speak.

Last edited:

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
The only fly in the ointment is the set up of the Behringeri it seems to be software based & a very complicated intricate process for a complete novice like myself who would need weeks if not months to figure all this out is there anyone who could help with making a file for me which I can then upload to this power amplifier .... So basically if someone who is handy and knows more than me who can write em a sound file so I can upload to my power amplifier or how to go about doing this any advice would be welcome.

Thank you in advance
don't take this the wrong way but it's really hard to read 1 big wodge of text, a few carriage returns go a long way :thumbsup:

anyway to answer your Q the file format is mentioned here and that format is exported from the inuke software. You can also work out your filters in REQ by telling it to create filters for the DCX2496 (there are minor differences as the DCX appears to offer slightly more precise control over the filters but it's v close) and then manually translating from the REW eq screen to the inuke software.

I don't think this is what you're asking though as this is a fairly trivial manual transciption process of 1 form or another. The more difficult task is "what filters should I enter?" so is that what you're really asking?

LOWSUB

don't take this the wrong way but it's really hard to read 1 big wodge of text, a few carriage returns go a long way :thumbsup:

anyway to answer your Q the file format is mentioned here and that format is exported from the inuke software. You can also work out your filters in REQ by telling it to create filters for the DCX2496 (there are minor differences as the DCX appears to offer slightly more precise control over the filters but it's v close) and then manually translating from the REW eq screen to the inuke software.

I don't think this is what you're asking though as this is a fairly trivial manual transciption process of 1 form or another. The more difficult task is "what filters should I enter?" so is that what you're really asking?

Hey mattkhan it's nice you decided to drop by and say hello! Suppose you came late in the discussion thus far so it would be a big wodge of text to read but really take your time and it will all come clear in the end as this is supposed to be a forum for like minded people to share ideas and converse in this medium so how else is one to explain one's self here in full without doing just that. As for the the items you have suggested I don't need them as the amp has all the crossovers and if I'm not being cheeky I think you are muddying the discussion by suggesting components that to my mind are not necessary for my particular setup as my AV amplifier will suffice along with the internal eq of the Behringer power amplifier in itself will suit me as I'm not looking to EQ this sub setup to extreme limits of the human audiophile listening thresholds of purism all out audio control, all I want is base with trouser flapping aplomb not purist audiophile tweaking, but hey thanks anyway for your suggestion I have no doubt future readers of this thread might do as you have suggest but for my needs isn't necessary. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I think he meant more like the edited version below as it's harder to read when it's all bunched up:

Hey mattkhan it's nice you decided to drop by and say hello! Suppose you came late in the discussion thus far so it would be a big wodge of text to read but really take your time and it will all come clear in the end as this is supposed to be a forum for like minded people to share ideas and converse in this medium so how else is one to explain one's self here in full without doing just that.

As for the the items you have suggested I don't need them as the amp has all the crossovers and if I'm not being cheeky I think you are muddying the discussion by suggesting components that to my mind are not necessary for my particular setup. My AV amplifier will suffice along with the internal eq of the Behringer power amplifier in itself will suit me as I'm not looking to EQ this sub setup to extreme limits of the human audiophile listening thresholds of purism all out audio control.

All I want is bass with trouser flapping aplomb not purist audiophile tweaking, but hey thanks anyway for your suggestion I have no doubt future readers of this thread might do as you have suggest but for my needs isn't necessary. :thumbsup:

However, it doesn't make it any less polite. ;) All Matt is suggesting is that you take some measurements so that you can apply the EQ correctly,otherwise it's purely guess work. If you really want anyone could create a file for you, based only on what WinISD shows based on the parameters you supplied. The chances are that it won't be right though.

You don't even need the file: All you need to do is to enter the settings using the software (it really isn't hard; I had a play with it and it's pretty simple to use especially with the graphs it shows how the adjustments work).

If you like I'll have a play with WIn ISD later to see if I can find out what settings might get you in the ball park. You still might be disappointed though since it very much depends on your room so you still might not get the 'trouser flapping' effect you crave if there are nulls in your room that reduce the appropriate frequencies. So you may still have to resort to measuring and fine tuning (which isn't 'purist audiophile tweaking' IMHO it's just part of setting a sub up properly).

It seems like you're willing to put the effort in to build the sub, then taking a short cut at the end which won't have it working anything like as well as it can. However, I'll help out if I can or there are plenty on here who can help you learn how to use REW to get really good results instead of just 'loud base' (sic).

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Suppose you came late in the discussion thus far so it would be a big wodge of text to read but really take your time and it will all come clear in the end.
my point is that if you want people to help then making it easy for them to help by making it easy to read is a good thing. If you don't want to do that then that's entirely your prerogative.

As for the the items you have suggested I don't need them as the amp has all the crossovers and if I'm not being cheeky I think you are muddying the discussion by suggesting components that to my mind are not necessary for my particular setup as my AV amplifier will suffice along with the internal eq of the Behringer power amplifier in itself will suit me as I'm not looking to EQ this sub setup to extreme limits of the human audiophile listening thresholds of purism all out audio control, all I want is base with trouser flapping aplomb not purist audiophile tweaking
tbh you seem confused by my reply, as Kelvin suggests I am talking about the ability to make measurements that will enable you to do any tweaking at all. If you don't measure then you might as well just plug in some random numbers to eq it which would be a waste of a good sub. Note I'm talking about DIY (do it yourself) not get it done by someone else :)

Last edited:

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Hey mattkhan it's nice you decided to drop by and say hello! Suppose you came late in the discussion thus far so it would be a big wodge of text to read but really take your time and it will all come clear in the end as this is supposed to be a forum for like minded people to share ideas and converse in this medium so how else is one to explain one's self here in full without doing just that. As for the the items you have suggested I don't need them as the amp has all the crossovers and if I'm not being cheeky I think you are muddying the discussion by suggesting components that to my mind are not necessary for my particular setup as my AV amplifier will suffice along with the internal eq of the Behringer power amplifier in itself will suit me as I'm not looking to EQ this sub setup to extreme limits of the human audiophile listening thresholds of purism all out audio control, all I want is base with trouser flapping aplomb not purist audiophile tweaking, but hey thanks anyway for your suggestion I have no doubt future readers of this thread might do as you have suggest but for my needs isn't necessary. :thumbsup:

I think the best thing for you to do next is too go and have a word with my anti-mode and see what she comes up with:devil:

LOWSUB

I think he meant more like the edited version below as it's harder to read when it's all bunched up:

However, it doesn't make it any less polite. ;) All Matt is suggesting is that you take some measurements so that you can apply the EQ correctly,otherwise it's purely guess work. If you really want anyone could create a file for you, based only on what WinISD shows based on the parameters you supplied. The chances are that it won't be right though.

You don't even need the file: All you need to do is to enter the settings using the software (it really isn't hard; I had a play with it and it's pretty simple to use especially with the graphs it shows how the adjustments work).

If you like I'll have a play with WIn ISD later to see if I can find out what settings might get you in the ball park. You still might be disappointed though since it very much depends on your room so you still might not get the 'trouser flapping' effect you crave if there are nulls in your room that reduce the appropriate frequencies. So you may still have to resort to measuring and fine tuning (which isn't 'purist audiophile tweaking' IMHO it's just part of setting a sub up properly).

It seems like you're willing to put the effort in to build the sub, then taking a short cut at the end which won't have it working anything like as well as it can. However, I'll help out if I can or there are plenty on here who can help you learn how to use REW to get really good results instead of just 'loud base' (sic).

Hey KelvinS1965 thank you for your input that is very much appreciated as with everyone who has had a say so far you were correct apologies to Matt I will send him a personal apology later. As for the effort you have suggested to get me in the ball park that would be appreciated as I will download the software I assume it is a free download and you don't need a serial no to download this software and I'll have a tinker I'll add another sub woofer so there will be two in the mix eventually.. So if you could suggest where I start with thsi software and where I should be looking to configure this amplifier for the best place for me to set the correct frequencies that would be a big help indeed. :thumbsup:

LOWSUB

my point is that if you want people to help then making it easy for them to help by making it easy to read is a good thing. If you don't want to do that then that's entirely your prerogative.

tbh you seem confused by my reply, as Kelvin suggests I am talking about the ability to make measurements that will enable you to do any tweaking at all. If you don't measure then you might as well just plug in some random numbers to eq it which would be a waste of a good sub. Note I'm talking about DIY (do it yourself) not get it done by someone else :)

Hello Matt first off please accept my sincere apologies for being rude to you and I hope you have no bad feelings towards me I really meant no harm and if you knew me you would understand I really am a very nice guy, I just find all this talk very confusing as this is all alien to me and I do strugle to get to grips with everything I am learning but I am determined to build my own subwoofer and I will be saving £1700 in doing just that as opposed to purchasing a Paradigm Sub 15. That was my sub of choice X 2 as I was going to purchase two of these so i'll build 2 and save almost £4000.

Again sorry for being abrupt with you.

Sincerely

LOWSUB

Hi! Kevin

Ok downloaded the software and it is very intricate and somewhat alien to me so a rough guide to help with a starting point for me to grow from.

So there is configuration filter crossover parametic eq dynamic eq setup under each setting what would you suggest would be a starting point of parameters for me to input to get me started with setting the Eq so this amplifier send the correct signal to my sub woofer for the lows in movie soundtracks. I'm not looking for you to go into infinite explanation as I know that is not practical but a little info as to where I should be looking and what settings would be a start the rest I can teach myself, lol. :lease:

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Hi! Kevin

Ok downloaded the software and it is very intricate and somewhat alien to me so a rough guide to help with a starting point for me to grow from.

So there is configuration filter crossover parametic eq dynamic eq setup under each setting what would you suggest would be a starting point of parameters for me to input to get me started with setting the Eq so this amplifier send the correct signal to my sub woofer for the lows in movie soundtracks. I'm not looking for you to go into infinite explanation as I know that is not practical but a little info as to where I should be looking and what settings would be a start the rest I can teach myself, lol. :lease:

You need to send a test tone to measure your rooms acoustic parameters peaks and nulls and then have the dsp do the smoothing bringing the lows/nulls up and the peaks down so to get a smooth curve and flat response.

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
I've been trying to load in the details of the Fi SP4 into Win ISD but there are some items missing from the specs so I'm getting an error with Win ISD. Shame it isn't listed in the database already. :(

However, as Mojogoes says, if you can measure the response, you need to counteract the natural drop off using the various EQ stages to boost (or cut).

In simple terms: Suppose you had a 6dB peak in the response at 40Hz, then you might configure the parametric EQ to reduce this like in the screenshot I've shown below. I've set the first control to 40Hz (this is default anyway), gain to -6.0dB and changed the width of the effect by altering the Q (quality) control to 5. The shape of this correction is shown on the yellow line in the chart. This basically needs to be the opposite of what you measure if you are aiming for a flat response. In practice you won't be able to get it perfectly flat and it's better not to boost big dips (likely room nulls which will just waste headroom), but you can save the files then experiment with different responses.

Attachments

• DEQ 40Hz cut.jpg
    DEQ 40Hz cut.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 340

mojogoes

Remembered (1961-2016)
Yeah if you do boost dips / nulls +2 or 3db is all you want to boost them by.......but then again it can depend on the width of the boost.......but great point about losing headroom when you boost too much id forgotten about that.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Hello Matt first off please accept my sincere apologies for being rude to you and I hope you have no bad feelings towards me I really meant no harm and if you knew me you would understand I really am a very nice guy, I just find all this talk very confusing as this is all alien to me and I do strugle to get to grips with everything I am learning but I am determined to build my own subwoofer and I will be saving £1700 in doing just that as opposed to purchasing a Paradigm Sub 15. That was my sub of choice X 2 as I was going to purchase two of these so i'll build 2 and save almost £4000.

Again sorry for being abrupt with you.

Sincerely
np & apologies from me for a somewhat snippy reply :thumbsup:

ewizzy

I wish I knew someone near me with the equipment to run REW :(

I would love to be able to measure my room response and correct with the dsp. I do have an antimode, but as mentioned before, it can only cut and not boost.

I might try a wide band boost at 25 hz and then run the antimode to cut any room modes caused by the boost.

Mojo, I don't suppose you are coming down to Cambridge any time soon? ;) :laugh:

s_inman

ewizzy said:
I wish I knew someone near me with the equipment to run REW :(

I would love to be able to measure my room response and correct with the dsp. I do have an antimode, but as mentioned before, it can only cut and not boost.

I might try a wide band boost at 25 hz and then run the antimode to cut any room modes caused by the boost.

Mojo, I don't suppose you are coming down to Cambridge any time soon? ;) :laugh:

Where are you based?

Edit: how did I not spot Cambridge! To far for me which is a shame as I have the fear :).

ewizzy

:laugh: yes, just outside of Cambridge in st. Ives.

You have the fear? Fear of fen dwellers?? I'm not surprised in all honesty ;)

s_inman

Who invented the qwerty keyboard? It was a daft idea to put the f next to the g, I meant gear.. But now you mention it! I am rather scared of Cambridge :smashin:.

ewizzy

Well, if you are ever in the area, let me know!! I'll provide tea, biscuits, and BBQ if its sunny :) :smashin:

S7M0N

Well, if you are ever in the area, let me know!! I'll provide tea, biscuits, and BBQ if its sunny :) :smashin:

I'm there too, if theres a bbq! maybe we should all collectively gather our subs in one place... Now that would be loud ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts