Behringer Feedback Destroyer

Stellavision

While doing some sweeps with my sub it's apparent that there are a couple of significant peaks.
I'm thinking of getting a Behringer Feedback Destroyer as I know a some of you have used them to good effect.
I have just located the DSP1124P available HERE

Has anyone come across this model and is this likely to flatten my response?

I may be moving into my new house next week so I may find I have different peaks/dips, but the room is very similar in size and shape so I am not expecting any miracles.

Stellavision

Just checked the manual and it doesn't have phono in/out so I may have to consider something else.
Came across it and thought it looked cheap!

eviljohn2

That's the one that everyone uses.

I havn't seen one myself, but I gather input/output is on 6.5mm jack plugs (as with headphone sockets and described as 1/4" TRS sockets in the manual) so is entirely compatible with coaxial cable. The manual mode bullet on that site is what you're after.

What I did notice, however, is that the frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz so what about sub 20Hz signals? :confused:

Stellavision

I guess everyone uses some kind of jack to rca connector to hook it up.

avanzato

Originally posted by eviljohn2
What I did notice, however, is that the frequency response is 20Hz-20kHz so what about sub 20Hz signals? :confused:

I hadn't registered that before and more accurately the BFD spec sheet says 20hz-20khz at -3db. Anyone got a link to a site that's actually measured the output of the BFD, to see if it rolls off the low end.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It's been a while since I set mine up, but I remember getting some XLR plugs and connecting a long phono lead to it - I think I may have commoned up two of the three connections, but there are plenty of leads out there from places like CPC (Farnel) that will be able to supply them for you ready made.

HTH

Gary.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
I made my own leads , Neutrik xlr plugs (BFD end) , Canare Phonos (sub end) and Canare LV77S cable.

Daran

bob1

I think you need this Web page.;)
And this one.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
Those of you using the XLR connection, that should be used with a proper balanced feed or else significant problems with noise are induced. Havn't you noticed any problems of this nature?

No problems at all , if you wire up the xlr to the phono for balanced to unbalanced conversion.

XLR PIN 1 - PHONO GROUND

XLR PIN 2 - PHONO TIP

XLR PIN 3 - PHONO GROUND

Or you can make or buy yourself a transformer.

Daran.

Stellavision

I am interested now to here how many people are actually using one of these with their sub. I have posted a poll to see how many of you have one and how positive/negative the results.

mw3cdj

Standard Member

mw3cdj

Standard Member
All done ;)

The reason that i wanted to try this was because there was a strange noise coming from my sub when the bfd was in line, it was a sort of ?hash? sound but very quite and unnoticeable unless you knew it was there.

The ?hash? has now gone:clap: with no other noticeable differences. My spl reads the same at reference level , haven't plotted another response graph as i cant see why that would have changed.

I suppose if someone runs a long length of balanced to unbalanced the problems would get worse. But as i only use 1m and .5m lengths the problem was hardly noticeable .

Anyway it's made a positive change to my system if only a small one.:D :D

BTW anyone use a fancy power cable on their BFD???

Daran

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
So what's the difference between the XLR connector and the Neutrik connector? Is there a wiring difference?

Gary.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
So what's the difference between the XLR connector and the Neutrik connector? Is there a wiring difference?

Neutrik is just the make of XLR and TRS plugs that i use (the best that i found) all that i have done is replaced the xlr (which is designed for balanced lines) and used a trs (or mono jack plug)

So now instead of attempting to convert a non balanced output to a balanced input through the way the leads were wired . I'm now using an unbalanced connection.

I'm Crap at explaining things , but the Beekeeper isn't http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...d+interconnects

Hope that made sense:zonked:

Daran

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Thanks - so now you're using a large jack plug instead of an XLR? Instead of phono to phono, it's jack plug to phono?

I might try the same thing with mine if I get time, just to see if I get a difference like you did.

Cheers.

Gary.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
Thats right,
mono jack plug to phono.
The BFD accepts a balanced input/output via the xlr connection and a non balanced input/output via the 1/4" jack(TRS). As i don't have a balanced output and now understand a little more about the topic then its a mono Jack plug i should have been using from the start.

Daran

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I'm using a phono from my Denon receiver to XLR input on the BFD, and then XLR from the BFD to phono on the sub. It sounds like I should be using jack plugs instead of XLRs all round then...

Gary.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
It sounds like I should be using jack plugs instead of XLRs all round then...

Yep...... I too was using XLR's but as the 3803 dosent have a balanced output........pointless and asking for trouble. Do you suffer with noise then Gary??

Daran.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Not that I was aware of - what kind of noise is it exactly? A background hiss or something? I need to go and have a listen. :)

Is it there when the amp or BFD is off?

Gary.

mw3cdj

Standard Member
I don't really know how to describe the noise , it sounded like a MW radio which had not been tuned in to any station:confused: .
As i said it was hardly noticeable but it's gone now:clap: .

The noise was only there when the amp and bfd were on together (and the sub of course !!).

Daran

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Hisense announces US TV and soundbar ranges for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 5th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 4th May 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Creative launches Dolby Atmos SXFI Carrier soundbar