Question Behringer EP4000 Set up has me stumped

Clay10sf

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I searched extensively but could not find an answer hope someone can help me out. Sorry for any clunky phrasing too not used to audio speak.

I am trying to get some music in the shop. Main source will be phone and laptop.

Current setup:

Phone or laptop connected via USB C to USB B cable to

Cambridge DacMagic Plus connected via 2 XLR cables going into Channel 1 and Channel 2 from the DacMagic's L and R XLR outs to

Behringer EP4000

Amp is connected to 2 of Peavey PV215 via the speakon cables

Issue: It seems only the Channel 2 is receiving music. I can unplug channel one with zero impact on the music. It plays on both speakers though. However, both channels provide a signal from the DAC. I can plug either the left or right XLR out into channel 2 and get the respective "half" of the stereo music. Sound is clear with no issues. I played with the switches on the back and can't seem to get stereo sound or channel one to play. I assumed it was a faulty amp and got a second one to see returning the first. Same issue persists. Given that I am likely doing something wrong, but would not know what. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

C

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Can you post a photo of how you have things connected and where you have the dials set?

If you are sure that the cabling is OK then have you checked that the DIP switches on the back are not set to parallel mode mode - they should be set to stereo mode - Section 2.3 in the manual

If you are sure that the cabling is OK then have you checked that the DIP switches on the back are not set to parallel mode mode - they should be set to stereo mode - Section 2.3 in the manual

switches are too the left which would be stereo according to manual.

Can you post a photo of how you have things connected and where you have the dials set?

Here some pictures. Note on the switches. I tried them a few ways. I get sound in parallel and stereo. but stereo mode is missing either left or right depending which one I add to channel 2. i don't think it is a faulty amp since both act the same way.
20191107_163733.jpg
20191107_163733.jpg
20191107_163715.jpg
20191107_163742.jpg
20191107_163726.jpg

So, you are saying that you cannot get any sound from output 2 of the Behringer?

Try switching the cables round - output 1 to output 2, and vice versa, does the fault change to output 1 or stay with output 2?

So, you are saying that you cannot get any sound from output 2 of the Behringer?

Try switching the cables round - output 1 to output 2, and vice versa, does the fault change to output 1 or stay with output 2?

Not quite. Switched cables back and forth but I can only get sound on channel 2. If I switch cable R to channel 2 I get R sound. If I switch cable L to channel 2 I get L sound. No matter what channel one does not seem to pick up a signal and that is the case with BOTH EP4000 units, which leads me to believe I am missing something.

Okay. It sounds like something in the chain isn't working, possibly a faulty cable / connection, possibly a setting, maybe even the source.

Let's start at the beginning...

What are you using as a source input to the DAC? Is it stereo?

Okay. It sounds like something in the chain isn't working, possibly a faulty cable / connection, possibly a setting, maybe even the source.

Let's start at the beginning...

What are you using as a source input to the DAC? Is it stereo?

I have tried both computer and phone running spotify. I believe it is stereo since I get different sounds from L and R from the DAC I just can's seem to get both channels playing through the AMP

Okay. What have you done so far in terms of testing to know that you are getting both left and right output from the DAC?

Okay. What have you done so far in terms of testing to know that you are getting both left and right output from the DAC?

I can plug either XLR into channel 2 and get one "side" of the stereo signal. When i plug both XLR into the amp I still only get one "side". Both sides (L and R) send signal to channel 2 on Amp but not at the same time.

Have you switched the speakers around?

Are the speakons wired correctly and on 1+ and 1- not 2+ and 2-

Okay so input and output into channel 2 is working. But nothing from channel 1, so we don't know if the input or output from channel 1 is the problem.

Have you tried swapping the speakers round?

Hi All, thanks for all the help. Tried everything to no avail. Ended up buying a Peavey amp and returning the EP4000. All is working well with the new amp! Still no idea why the EPs did not play nice with the equipment but oh well.

It has been well known that the dip switch allocations , according to the manual are incorrect, and apparently this continues to be so on the ep 4000s. Do not know if it was part of your issue , but if others have the same they may want to check this.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom