1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Behringer B2031's Anyone heard them?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Orbital, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Over the last few months I've been giving some serious thought to going down the active route with my speakers. I've been looking at all the usual suspects PMC/Mackie/ATC/Bluesky etc and then tonight as I've been trolling through the old interweb I came across the above Beringer Truth B2031.

Reading some reviews and looking at the specs these look like perfect home cinema speakers to me (check out the rear panel controls) and to top it all off they have a UK RRP of £387 a pair!!! pretty much unheard of for actives. Even better I've actually found them online for considerably less than that.

Now I don't know about you but the first thing I thought of when I saw the price was "they must be ****e" but after reading some reviews (both magazine and by owners) they seem to gaining quite a reputation in the old bang for buck area, with a lot of comments in the manner of "as good as monitors costing 3 times as much". At the price I’m seriously considering buying some just to see what they are like.

Anyway HERE is the link to the Behringer site and the B2031. Have a look and see what you think.

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dave, how's it going mate.

I've heard the Behringer Truths.

For the money, they are competent speakers.
    They dont have the overall abilities of the Dynaudio's, Mackies & Genelecs (but we wouldn't expect that)
    I haven't heard the Blue Sky's so cannot comment.
    I reckon you could pick 3 sets of these for well under a grand.
    I remember them getting a little hard in the sound when they were pushed very loud, but, that's not a surprise given their price point. A slightly better sounding monitor which sits just above them price wise are the Circle 5's by HHB which was a tie-in with the well respected Harbeth brand.
    They had a good tone & could play at good levels without the feeling of the sound being pushed. You could probably get them at a reasonable price too.
    Mackie, Genelec & Blue Sky are the next level from that.

Adz

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Adz mate,

I thought they may be too good to be true :)

The whole passive/active thing has left me not knowing what to do really. Would I be better off sticking wit my Rotel 985 mkII and getting some better speakers. I'd set my heart on some M&K K17's and some K4's (getting them sent over from a friend in the States) but I've heard some mixed reports about the K17's. The other route is the second hand one. S85's, LCR55's etc etc but I feel nervous about spending close to a grand on second hand speakers. Don't know why. It never bothered me spending £750 on my second hand Meridian 565.

Then we move onto the active side of things. Now having only about £1K to spend on speakers it would pretty much mean I would only have enough money for the front soundstage if I went the active route "but you could sell your amp" I can hear you cry but in reality I can't. I would still need the 985 to power the rears, including getting my rear 7.1's up and running again which at the moment are laying dormant because I haven't got a stereo power amp to run them at the moment.

So as you can see I'm in a bit of a fix to what to do for the best. Any idea's of what speakers to look/listen out for would be much appreciated either passive or active.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    M&K have a lengthy guarantee but even so if one of the drivers fails it isn't the end of the world to obtain a replacement from the UK distributors.

There is a set of S85's that have appeared on Flea Bay today and are currently standing at £1 but I feel that they may end up a little higher than that.

I have the Pro equivalents of the S85 at the front and a pair of K4 tripoles at the rear. If you want to hear what M&K sound like together with a top notch subwoofer :D you're only a mile away from me.

You can always contact me via the little green thingie on the bottom right of the screen Mr Bunny :rotfl:

5. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Ian as I live and breath :)

What? you want me to bring my Servo 15 round? Can't we just use your SVS and I'll try to imagine the Servo sitting there :)

But really. Thanks for that offer. I may well take you up on that as it would give me a good idea of what a good M&K system should sound like (plus your only about a mile away:)).

I need to get a listen to some active's then I guess and hear the difference.

And Ian, thanks for letting my "fluffy bunny" MSN handle out of the bag :) That was just between me and wife OK :rotfl:

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've asked you before not to refer to me as "the wife" in public :rolleyes:

7. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,
    Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, I wanted to ask Adz what active Genelecs he had heard and comments on them?

Regards
    John

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Genelec speakers were used at Event 2 and most people were raving about them. The posts should still be in the Event forum.

As a sideline Genelec speakers were used to master the Disney Enhanced Version of Lion King DVD which is probably the DVD of the year soundwise.

9. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136

John.

I've heard Genelec 1030a & 1031a.

Very impressive, both of them.

Clarity, midrange & ability to play, very loud indeed.

The bigger 1031a's i heard were cranking out the beats big time & had good bass response from their 8" woofer.

Very good build quality on both sets.

Both sets were heard in a stereo setup, but i can well imagine that they would offer a top draw 5.1/6.1/7.1 system.

Add a sub, and you're cooking.

Adz

10. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi orbital
    Rags was selling his m&k 850sx3 for around a grand and they are only about 6 months old.There the replacement for the thx 750 series and they do sound very good.
    Cheers Gonzo.

11. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Where do the Genelecs sit within my £1K budget? I always thought they were well out of my price range?

12. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian/Adz

13. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dave.

The genelecs are out of your price range.

1030A's are around £950 (before shopping about)

1031A's are around £1900 (before shopping around)

Adz

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Have a word with X3ELS as he seems to be the Genelec whizz kid

15. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adz
    Is that a pair or each?
    regards
    John

16. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So what do you think Adz/Ian. Better to go with some better passive speakers rather than the cheaper active route?

17. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    You prolly found um HERE for £289

I listened to them extensively and all the other makes.

If you dont go and demo them against any of the more expensive actives you will probably be a very happy chappy, but if you do go and have a good demo and side to side comparison I doubt very much you would walk out with the Truth's, more than likely you would have a large dent in the wallet instead LOL

I walked out with Dynaudio BM6A's and only 3 as thats all I could afford at the time.

On the passive side you could do far worse than get yourself 3 pairs of Quad 11L's which have been praised many times here and also is what I am now living with :) and very happy I am.

I also got £200 worth of QED XT400 speaker cale FOC with the Quads ;) from Superfi Manchester.

IMO the Quads will have more longevity/saleability than the Truths.

Bry

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that active monitors will be the bandwagon to be jumped on this year. They may well suit some people as Spligsey has had more than one set but JSW has gone back to traditional speakers.

With people spending money on quality amplification like TAG or Rotel to improve the sound I fail to see how slapping a couple of cheapo Chinese amps on the back of a speaker will make it better.

Not quite the same but there were a couple of interesting articles on Monitors versus Hifi Speakers on Sound on Sound magazine's website here and here in which they compared a couple of hifi speakers with pro monitors and the results may well surprise you considering that it is a pro magazine

19. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    John.

That's for a pair mate.

To me, active speakers represent great value for money.
    The proof is in the listening and how you like the sound presented.

Go and have a listen Dave.

My all Mackie system was a cut above my old M&K system.

(6 x Mackie HR624/HRS120 sub)
    (M&K 750THX - Surround 55 Tripole - VX-100)

I dont expect everyone to like this route, but there ARE many good things about them.

Adz