Behringer A800 power amp announced

Try connecting the klipsch to it?
Yes, they are! I am using it for two klipsch atmos speakers. However, it might be that I have lower pre-out voltage in my pre-amp than yours. What pre-amp are you using with it?

Marantz 6012

A-ha, I think that explains it. I had a Denon 4400 and a Marantz SR7011 before my Arcam AVR550. The pre-out voltage was much higher on those, so the gain on power amps were lower.

I tend to balance my power amps so that the volume from those speakers are more or less the same volume as tho speakers that are powered from the AVR. If you do the same with yours, do you still get an audible noise floor?

A-ha, I think that explains it. I had a Denon 4400 and a Marantz SR7011 before my Arcam AVR550. The pre-out voltage was much higher on those, so the gain on power amps were lower.

I tend to balance my power amps so that the volume from those speakers are more or less the same volume as tho speakers that are powered from the AVR. If you do the same with yours, do you still get an audible noise floor?
I tried a few different volumes, approximately 12 oclock on the behringer gave me a 0db volume reading in the audyssey set up menu. The noise floor was acceptable but i was losing some of the power of the amp. Around 1-2 oclock was a fair balance but not ideal.

What is the rest of the system, have you got any speakers powered by the AVR? The RCA inputs have a higher gain than the XLR and TRS inputs, 41db vs 30db. So, the RCA input may be quite 'hot' for the voltage that your Marantz is putting out, turning the gain knob down would be usual.

You could try the XLR and TRS inputs also, they might work better with your pre-amp.

Did you need an extra power cable from trigger to amp? Looks like it would be non standard?

Ive been playing with one of these, stonking value!
Sounds perfectly fine to me although i get some slight noise due to my speakers being fairly sensitive.
Overall I really like it but ultimately its going back as i wanted to a/b it against a crown xls1502 but none were available at the time.
I may return to it if the crown doesn’t better it.

I am excited to hear your feedback with this comparison, because I am between that very crown model xls1502, and either an A500 if I can find one, or the new A800 if I can determine it's at least as good...

No, i don't think i want to have a class d amp (have had one hifi class d amp)

So putting aside the power ratings, the new version is at least in one qualitative way a downgrade, in going from class a/b, to class d, amplification type? Will I still notice a SQ difference, if I'm only powering a subwoofer with it? The a500 is hard to find now, but I see crown has a similar priced class a/b amp, with rca's and binding posts, in their xli800.

I just liked that the behringer A500 & A800 also have no fans.

Last edited:
Well I "preordered" the a500, from a site who claims they'll have the original A500 back in stock next month, although everywhere else they say it's been discontinued by the manufactures, so we'll see.

Meanwhile also have the A800 on order, so if/when they both arrive will report how they compare in this specific duty (powering a single ultimax UM18-22 in a 2' x 2' x 4' box with an 8" x 35" 16hz tuning port.

It's been claimed, though no measurements, the A800 is quieter, but I have more trust in A/B amps for no good reason. Better and worse in both types.

I have tried my 15” ultimax with the a800 bridged. The inuke 6000 gave far better results imo.

I was considering the A500 and A800 for two reasons, over the iNukes/NX- 1. They have no fans, which may not be an issue since it'll be behind my tv & l am aware of the fan mod; and 2. RCA ins and binding posts vs. speakons & XLR only. Plus I already borrowed an A500, which proved more than enough power for my application.

They do seem to be the best value, and even have DSP. I'll reconsider, look into converter cables, thank you.

I was considering the A500 and A800 for two reasons, over the iNukes/NX- 1. They have no fans, which may not be an issue since it'll be behind my tv & l am aware of the fan mod; and 2. RCA ins and binding posts vs. speakons & XLR only. Plus I already borrowed an A500, which proved more than enough power for my application.

They do seem to be the best value, and even have DSP. I'll reconsider, look into converter cables, thank you.
Just an observation, i had my system close to reference yesterday and the inuke was barely showing 2 lights, so it may well be overkill for me but i just noticed it sounded a fair bit fuller with the inuke.
The downside is the inuke sounds like a jet engine, im actually thinking about routing it to a cupboard that backs on to the cinema room.
Overall i think the A800 is great when ran with my speakers and @Rambles suggestion about using xlr did indeed reduce the noise floor a bit.

Guys what's the least expensive way to achieve a high pass filter in the low teens. I understand the meager power level it shouldn't even be a problem below tune, just want to make certain.

miniDSP?

Just an observation, i had my system close to reference yesterday and the inuke was barely showing 2 lights, so it may well be overkill for me but i just noticed it sounded a fair bit fuller with the inuke.
The downside is the inuke sounds like a jet engine, im actually thinking about routing it to a cupboard that backs on to the cinema room.
Overall i think the A800 is great when ran with my speakers and @Rambles suggestion about using xlr did indeed reduce the noise floor a bit.

Yeah I might not do well with that. Despite the ridiculousness of my sub's cabinet dimensions, I actually don't listen at super high volumes, and likely would be able to hear that fan.

I'll just have to come to terms that I'm leaving something on the table with inferior amplification. So long as the A800 is in the same neighborhood as the A500, I will be satisfied.

Shipping delayed until tomorrow :(

Last edited:
Got it, & DOA. Zero output, two different systems, lfe bridged mono on sub from AVR, nothing; stereo receiver preouts to bookshelves, nothing.

:( Does it power on, do you get lights, any input voltage showing? Speakers connected okay? Gain dials turned up?

Yes to all, powers on, lights on, triple checked connections from receivers to amp to speakers/sub, left dial turned up in mono bridged with sub, both turned up in stereo set up.

Well the retailer refunded me in full, no shipping or restocking fees, so I am now free to choose a new amp, hopefully something with DSP/HPF selectable into the teens... and that functions.

@Rambles How you getting on with your A800? Im thinking about buying a few more to run my speakers, switching between my rotel class d 100wpc and the behringer with music in stereo i think the behringer sound a bit more powerful/fuller. Cracking value.

Does it still have distortion from the gain controls?

Last edited:
@Rambles How you getting on with your A800? Im thinking about buying a few more to run my speakers, switching between my rotel class d 100wpc and the behringer with music in stereo i think the behringer sound a bit more powerful/fuller. Cracking value.
Hi, so far so good! I am using it in stereo to run my two upfiring atmos speakers. Sounds great, no issues at all. I am tempted to try it bridged on my centre for a bit of extra headroom, I haven't got round to trying that yet. It will require a new Dirac calibration, so not a trivial undertaking.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom