Behringer A800 power amp announced

@Rambles Interesting you say about using it bridged for the center channel. I tried that today. My room is almost finished and we have been testing over the last week, one thing that was irritating me was dialogue would start to sound boxy the closer we got to reference about -10db. This was using my rotel 100wpc class d. I thought I would try the behringer, turns out the extra headroom does indeed improve the dialogue and holds clarity at louder volume. Im actually going to use these to do the whole 7. base layer. They are brilliant imo.

Center channel is the most important channel in surround sound so having a little more power isn't a bad idea.

I have got round to trying the Behringer A800 bridged on the centre speaker, so far so good. The speaker is a Kef Reference 202C, and the AVR is an Arcam AVR550.

I ran some sweeps in REW with the Arcam and then with the Behringer, using volume levels of 15db below reference, at reference and with Dirac on and off. The curves between the Behringer and the Arcam providing the power look indistinguishable to me.

I am just playing back Spectre at reference level to check for stability with the Behringer in bridge mode. It sounds amazing, but hard to know for sure if it sounds any different than if I power the centre from the Arcam, the placebo effect is a powerful thing!

I am tempted to get a smaller 2 channel amp for the atmos speakers, maybe a 1U size, and use this Behringer bridged on the centre.

Anyone any thoughts?

Centre with Behringer.JPG

The bang for the buck the A800’s do look good. Alas I don’t have another ‘decent’ amp to compare against. I’ve got a receiver but not seperate amp. I’m pretty sure a blind test and I’d not notice. I’m running MK 150’s and I understand they like power.

Been considering purchase of a couple of these for some time - well, ever since my Audiolab 8000X7 bit the dust a few weeks back. Any thoughts on how these might fit in to my Marantz / Monitor Audio setup? I listen to a lot of music but enjoy movies too - could I A/B against the 8000Ms?

Audio science review have tested the a800 so a great resource there for potential buyers to do some research.

I have one powering my rears in my cinema room although I have tried it in stereo on the front pair and it was really good I thought. Using a marantz sr6012 as a pre pro.

I have never seen for sale with a disount, anyone who has ?

They are pretty inexpensive as they are, around £150 - £170 at the moment. How much do you want to pay?

Often there are discounts on new products

Price on thomann.de is £159 + shipping, don't want to be unrealistic but if i could i would go for under £130 with shipping for a new A800, that is more or less the price of the Behringer KM750.

When buying new hifi i try to get the lowest possible price(many places have price match), i just haven't seen a new A800 for sale with a discount (used i haven't see any)

Personally i just want a bit more power without breaking the bank

Last edited:
I paid £137 for mine from Bax Music in March 2019, looks like price has gone up a bit, but it's still excellent value. The KM750 has reports of noisy fans, have you heard one?

Not heard any but i would change fan or disable it.

BUT i don't need 2x500 in 8 ohm i would trade the components that makes it a 2x500 watt for better sound, most people for hifi don't need more than 200 pr channel in 8 ohm.

Edit,update it's not a 2x500 watt amp i was looking at the Behringer KM1700 (same price as the A800)

Last edited:
Not heard any but i would change fan or disable it.

BUT i don't need 2x500 in 8 ohm i would trade the components that makes it a 2x500 watt for better sound, most people for hifi don't need more than 200 pr channel in 8 ohm.
Okay. Are you going for the KM750 then?

Did any mentioned about the potmeter, gain,volume control if they distort like the once the A500 does ?

I've had the Crown XLS 1002 and 1502, they were both good. I prefer the looks of the A800, it looks okay next to my other stuff, not obviously a commercial amp.

No reports of any issues with the volume pots, and I've not heard or measured any issues.

The Audio Science Review is worth a read if you are thinking of buying one:

have seen the site i linked to it somwhere but i think i got deleted

I've had the Crown XLS 1002 and 1502, they were both good. I prefer the looks of the A800, it looks okay next to my other stuff, not obviously a commercial amp.

No reports of any issues with the volume pots, and I've not heard or measured any issues.

The Audio Science Review is worth a read if you are thinking of buying one:

Oh... I prefer the crowns. I built a custom rack, so it's all hidden... Unless I want to give myself a green light show !

Attachments

• IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4383.jpeg
    IMG_4383.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 440
Omnitronic makes amps that look like crown xli but i don't know how they sound, if they are any good (The xpa-700 cost the same as the Behringer A800)

10451032a-p.jpg
1000371380-crown-pa-verstaerker-xli-800-rms-leistung-je-kanal-an-4-ohm--001.jpg

Have just pulled the trigger on one A800, ordered from Thomann with a couple of XLR cables, as a test against my Audiolab 8000Ms - will let you know how it fares once bedded in. Thought about ordering a couple but I may repurpose it for my home studio setup if it doesn't work out.

Have just pulled the trigger on one A800, ordered from Thomann with a couple of XLR cables, as a test against my Audiolab 8000Ms - will let you know how it fares once bedded in. Thought about ordering a couple but I may repurpose it for my home studio setup if it doesn't work out.

any thoughts on the a800

Initial impressions are encouraging - it doesn't sound out of place - music sounds a little more detailed and upfront than through the 8000Ms - haven't recalibrated the full surround rig yet so will have to do that before testing with a four speaker setup (will just leave the Audiolabs powering the rear channels).

Just ordered a second one, unbeatable for the money.

Am going to order one of these to power my front l and r xtz 99.36. Will be feeding them from denon x3600. Be nice to give them some more power.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom