• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Beginning of the end of the Lib Dems

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Had a thread for Labour and the Tories.

Just as fitting (more now) to have one for the Lib Dems:D

Tim Farron quits as Lib Dem leader - BBC News

Last 2 leaders have been awful (imo).

Smarmy. Smug. Know-it-alls.

If Jeremy takes Labour further and further left, I suppose there's some ground for the Lib Dems on the centre left.

Bit over 2 million votes they got at the last election so about 1 in 12-13 voters, voted for LD.

Hardly going to be missed.

D

Deleted member 293381

This is not the end,
This is not even the beginning of the end,
This is just perhaps the end of the beginning.

nheather

Distinguished Member
We wouldn't see eye to eye on politics but I'm 100% behind his sentiment here - good on him.

As a white, male, middle-class, Englishman I am getting thoroughly sick of this country that labels me as discrimintory, or a racist or a bigot before they have heard what I have to say.

Cheers,

Nigel

rancidpunk

In Memoriam
He was one of the big reasons I couldn't vote libdem, and he definitely should have left this announcement another day, but I did dislike the press hounding him about his personal views.
He was a big champion of LGBT rights and I think it's quite possible to separate certain personal viewpoints from party held ones. Saying that, maybe it was for the best, he really wasn't taking the party anywhere at all.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Though I don't like the guy, I have some sympathy for his current predicament.

If he was a leader of the party that I was voting for/supporting, I couldn't care less about his Christian faiths or whether he thought Gay marriage/sex was a sin.

There are so many problems in the world right now, the above is probably way down in the hundreds, as to how important it is, compared to other issues.

I wouldn't have a problem voting for a party that's stance on a number of issues, were a bit different to individuals in said party.

Everything has to be so politically correct these days. It's ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 293381

For a number of years the LibDems have been overly politically correct - seems to be an obsession with them.

To think they lost about 50 seats in the 2015 general election and never really recovered must be a blow to their confidence.

IMO they need a character, someone like Boris Johnson, to pull them up out of the sweetly sticky mess they're in. But of course a strong wilful character is not LibDem material, so it will never happen.

Cliff

Distinguished Member
Well, look it's simple. Tim Farron was an out and out... Can I say it? remoaner. He basically campaigned on the premise that the referendum result was wrong because Brexit voters were stupid or were misled or didn't know what Brexit really meant.
The LibDems were really the remain party.... And they lost because the country wants out of the EU.
Also T.Farron was a very annoying person....

D

Deleted member 293381

^^^ Alan, their well known 'characters' of recent(ish) years were a prolific paedophile, a leader charged with conspiracy to murder and a leader who drank himself to death

Not all bad then. The thing is those characters might even fit in with the core definition of the LibDems:

The Liberal Democrats exist to build and safeguard a fair, free and open society, in which we seek to balance the fundamental values of liberty, equality and community, and in which no one shall be enslaved by poverty, ignorance or conformity.

In addition Gladstone said:

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.

Wonderful stuff. Reads well and delivers the correct message, but what a load of bollocks.

Enki

Banned
Farron position was unattainable with DUP soon to be proping up Conservative government. As the DUP and views become more widely known it would become increasingly difficult for him to marry his religious and liberal views. Brutal decapitation by the party but necessary.

Sonic67

Banned
Farron, I could picture running the bread counter at Morrison's. Nice guy. No kind of leader.

IronGiant

The LibDems were really the remain party.... And they lost because the country wants out of the EU.
I'm not sure that's the case Cliff. I think sufficient people are still in favour of remain that enough of them had got together and voted Lib Dem as a tactical/protest vote then the Lib Dems could have been a serious opposition party. It would never have happened but imagine if 48% of the vote had gone Lib Dem? :eek:

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Over in our election poll more people voted 'I'm not voting' than voted Lib Dem :laugh:

Maybe it's time for the Lib Dems to rebrand as the 'Monster remaining loony' party, that should hoover up a few votes. Perhaps speak to Lord Sutch about some kind of merger? :D

Farron position was unattainable with DUP soon to be proping up Conservative government. As the DUP and views become more widely known it would become increasingly difficult for him to marry his religious and liberal views. Brutal decapitation by the party but necessary.

Except the entire point of Liberalism is to defend other people's right to do something your don't personally believe in so really his personal beliefs should not have inhibited his role as the Liberal leader. The fact he didn't understand this means it is probably for the best he step down.

Enki

Banned
Except the entire point of Liberalism is to defend other people's right to do something your don't personally believe in so really his personal beliefs should not have inhibited his role as the Liberal leader. The fact he didn't understand this means it is probably for the best he step down.

But it was problem and he acknowledged it himself. Im sure he had plenty of time prior to becoming leader to recgonise this would be fleshed out once his profile was on nations mind. And so, Paddick resigned and stood with the LGBT Labour party and bang the three horse apocalypse asked him to resign.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Farron's political problems were much bigger than his views on homosexuality, it's a convenient excuse though.

'I'm resigning because I'm a good Christian' sounds so much better than 'I'm resigning because I'm crap at politics'.

D

Deleted member 293381

Farron's political problems were much bigger than his views on homosexuality, it's a convenient excuse though.

'I'm resigning because I'm a good Christian' sounds so much better than 'I'm resigning because I'm crap at politics'.

Good point. What he meant was and might have said:

'I'm resigning because I'm crap at politics, but a good Christian'.

Thing is, who is he trying to kid? Politics and religion can be separated and mentally compartmented. Politics is his job, religion in his spare time.

What he said indicates he means politics is bad and religion is good. Also indicates a very confused man.

mij

The Lib Dems are a Tory plot to take votes away from Labour the natural party of government, just like UKIP. Good riddance to both of them and hopefully the end of Tory minority governments ;)

The Dude

Distinguished Member
I always knew Farron was a Tory/UKIP double agent, nothing else could explain him getting the leaders job.

Jezza99

Banned
The Lib Dems need 2 things. Firstly to move on and accept the Brexit result, and to stop making disingenuous calls for a 2nd Ref in the interests of "democracy". It's clear from the GE that there is no market out there for that view.

Secondly, and much more difficult, they need to find a charismatic leader (unlike the sanctimonious, irritating little Timmy). I understand that so far Lamb, Davey and maybe Cable will stand. Lamb comes across as a decent bloke, but rather boring. Davey would be a disaster - he is so chippy, and so far up his own fundament that I think he would become even more disliked than Timmy.

Cable if he runs will probably be elected, but he looks a bit old and bumbling nowadays. He is also tainted by his spell in coalition government.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom