Beginners trip to Whipsnade

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by johouston83, Feb 21, 2014.

1. johouston83

johouston83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am only a beginner to photography with a 500d - Got a new 55-250mm lens for Christmas which I haven't had much chance to use yet - so went for a trip to the zoo today in the lovely English rain and these were the results - I am pretty happy

Flickr: tigerstripesphotography1's Photostream

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,378
    There are some good shots in there, some difficult light as well. I know as I live in Whipsnade and frequent the Wild Animal Park regularly...

However, your stream is just a dump of all the photos...It makes me switch off. I think you need to be much more selective in what you upload and share as to be honest there are many absolutely rubbish pictures in there as well. I would suggest to slow down, just pick one of each animals that is really good and worth sharing and apply a bit of post processing to them. That way it is nice to take a look, as to me with this overload and me having to do the sorting/sifting I just switch off.

3. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,983
    I agree with dejongj (although may have put it a little more tactfully :devil: ;)). Some great shots, and not so great shots. However, as there's so many it does make you just flick through them all rather than taking the time to look at the good ones more closely.

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    I agree with DJ also - though I would add that the photostream is probably a pretty fair representation of how my photo-dump for the day you have looked - I just wouldn't have uploaded all of them.

Also probably a good idea to select a few of your favourites and post inline links that display them here and then if folk are interested they can click through the main link to see the whole set :)

Some good shots there but as already mentioned you've got to be pretty keen/dedicated to wade through the lot of them to find the best ones ;)

Jim

5. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    One good thing about Flickr is that you can have a photo assigned to multiple sets. So, I have a set for all of the photos (back up basically) which is set to either family+friends or just me and then the "interesting" ones I also link to a public set ("my public photos"). This then keeps your public photostream clean whilst also having all of your photos backed up. In my case I have something like 20k photos on Flickr but only about 800 publicly viewable.

Hope this helps.

6. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    Sorry for my confusion and apologies for the daft question but do you mean that you can upload shots and NOT have them appear in your main Photostream ?

7. johouston83

johouston83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    sorry, i am new to Flickr as well

8. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    No need to apologise - it's just some friendly suggestions :)

9. johouston83

johouston83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i put them all on there as a backup for me - I will have a play and see how to make a public one and a private backup
    It was the first time i have been out with the camera in ages and must admit i have pretty much forgotten half of the stuff i was taught on the short photography course I went on so will have to get my books out again!

10. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    Jim

When you upload you can set the security level on your photos to eith public, family, friends, non (IIRC) and also set them to be searchable or not (if using the web based uploader then they are links on the left hand side), if you make then family/firned or non then they will appear in your photostream when you view them but not in the public photostream for everyone else to view. As I said, I have nearly 20k photos in my photostream in 170+ sets but I only have about 6 sets set to public and about 800 photos that you should be able to see (and that is probably too many !). For example I have a public shots set and an AV comp set that I link to my entries so I have them all in one set if I need to go back to them for any reason (they are also in their originating set, one per month with all of the scrap photos).

So typically when I upload I select drop and drag photos from my PC onto the Flickr Web Uploader page, they are all selected by default, change the description (and sometimes filename), set the security to family+friends and make them non searchable (safe settings), I then add them to a new set (if uploading soemthing new e.g. a day out) or to an old set. If I want soem to be visible by the public then I choose them and change the security settign and place them in a public set. All of these setting can be changed in the gallery view as well if you want to do it retrospectively.

So, I use Flickr as an cloud based JPG archive for security and choose a few to be visible to the world. VEy handy with 1TB of storage, think I am up to about 7% at the moment.

Hope that helps.

11. johouston83

johouston83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hiya - thanks for the explanation i will have a play - its the 1TB that made me upload them there to be honest

12. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,983
    Great explanation, thanks :smashin: If you're uploading a heap of photos from an event/holiday etc can you specify on upload which ones go where, or do you have to upload them all with a specific security setting and then change some once they've uploaded?

TBH, either way Im not sure whether I'd have the patience :blush: :laugh: Thank god for Time Machine on Mac :)

13. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    Snerks, when you drop and drag the files onto the Flickr web upload window they appear as thumbnails immediately and you can select individual/multiple/all files using the usual shift/cntrl click windows method and then assign these their specific name, details, security, search and set details using the links/menus on the left hand side of the page.

Short answer YES.

14. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    Thanks - I'll need to have a play around with it I guess

15. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,983
    Cool, thanks. I may upload as usual, but then upload large batches for backup. I guess I cold always have a 2nd Flickr account?

16. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,574
    Remember you can only upload 200 photos at a time through the web interface but the amount in total is unlimited up to 1TB. I uploaded mine to mimic my hard drive structure (i.e. upload a folder at a time and then put those in a set named similar to my HD folder) which is typically by date/event e.g. 25_12_13 Christmas + extra folders for animals, landscape, macro, cars, family etc. Once you have everything in sets (i.e. individual folders) you can then go into the Organize [sic] menu and put the sets into collections (in my case years), you can nest collections 5 deep if you want IIRC. So my Flicker is organised like my HD except for two folders - Public Pics and AV comp pics which are publically viewable and double linked (i.e. photo is in two sets) so that people can see them, the rest are hidden (family+friend viewable). (I guess I could just make those public from their original set but anyway .....).

Also worth noting that if you have photos in "hidden from public/non visible" folders you can still send "guest passes" via email to family and friends to view.

17. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    I'm obviously still missing something here fundamental here but I think we've cluttered up the OP's thread enough - which should have been posted in the Photo Sharing section BTW ;)

So I'll need to have a play with the options in Flickr tonight and see happens as what I really wanted is to be able to upload shots into sets that are publicly visible WITHOUT them also being visible in the general photostream.... :blush:

18. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,983
    Don't think that's possible. AFAIK every shot goes into the photostream.

19. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,589
    "Indeed!"