Beginner's Shot

Orobas

Prominent Member
Reaction score
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_4750.JPG
Just starting to get into basic photography and have a basic Canon 450D dslr with some long range lenses. Living a mile and a half from the sea and 3 miles from the country make for some nice learning photo ops. These were one of my first attempts with my big 28-300mm Vivitar lens with the pigeon some 30 feet from me and the ruddy turnstone again some 30 feet from me on a misty pier. no cropping or post editing done (i dont understand that stuff yet so this is just a raw photo)

Both images are a bit flat and could definitley do with some boosting in PP. It's definitely worth investing some time learning the basics of post production.

I suspect having a cheap dslr/lenses havent helped me much on this but i'll definately start having a look at pp. thanks :)

I suspect having a cheap dslr/lenses havent helped me much on this but i'll definately start having a look at pp. thanks :)

The 450D body my be entry level for DSLR it's still a decent camera and shouldn't hold you back as a beginner. I used one for years and in the end only got rid of it for something smaller/lighter. I'm not familiar with the vivitar lens but had the Tamron 70-300mm (I think) and that was a really good lens for not much money.

If you're not familiar with/into pp at the moment then you might as well shoot jpeg (or jpeg+raw) as the raw won't look good without pp. In fact I'd recommend it starting as it's better to try to take good pictures sooc than rely on correcting in pp all the time.

The canon 450d is capable fo great images so don't worry about that. A good start, although the first looks a bit out of focus to me so make sure you're getting your focus right. As John says they lack a bit of pop. When you say they are raw images are you literally shooting raw or ar they straight out of camera jpeg?

Straight off the camera.. nothing fancy. just me, the canon, the vivitar series 1 and a "sorry" cheap tripod. but i am normally running full zoom on my shots in a pretty hazy environment most of the time

Straight off the camera.. nothing fancy. just me, the canon, the vivitar series 1 and a "sorry" cheap tripod. but i am normally running full zoom on my shots in a pretty hazy environment most of the time
OK, just so you're aware there are two formats that camera can shoot in, jpeg and raw. If you're shooting straight out of camera jpeg that's not raw as you mentioned in your first post :smashin: You can tweak in camera jpeg settings to give more contrast etc.

What focal length are you using?

For the bulk of my shoots i'm running at the max 300mm. The Vivitar is an f/4-6.3 lens with a push pull zoom facility.

For the bulk of my shoots i'm running at the max 300mm. The Vivitar is an f/4-6.3 lens with a push pull zoom facility.
Ahh OK. 300mm’s not that long tbh so you’ve done well to get such close ups.

Ahh OK. 300mm’s not that long tbh so you’ve done well to get such close ups.
Many thanks :) Thats the longest lens i have that i use.. i do have a 500mm mirror reflex but thats manual only and i'm not that experienced to use that just yet

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom