1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners Question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by loveleeds, Aug 11, 2005.

1. loveleeds

loveleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought an Aldi Tevion 42" plasma. I can hear the booing and hissing...but I'm happy with it for the price and the use it gets!!

At the moment I am running my sky+ into my JVC home cinema system via a scart and then running the JVC system signal into the plasma via a scart.

The only thing I have so far been disappointed with is the quality of sports pictures ie footie and cricket. Is there anyway to improve these pictures eg directly plug the sky+ into the RGB?? Or am I stuffed cos of the low screen res?

Any advice for a complete beginner would be appreciated!!

2. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Define "quality" and then it may be more obvious what the potential problem is

3. loveleeds

loveleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok....quality....hmmm...as players are running there seems a nasty pixelated quality to the crowd behind....the moving camera sweep type shots are the worst.

Not a good description I know so apologies!!

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    It is called processing and it is one of the reasons people pay more for a differnt brand.

Things to check, turn your Sky box picture settings to RGB and contrast low.
    Make sure you have turned off any processing off on the plasma itself, and make sure you have the contrast down to a resonable amount too.

Is there a cinema, user or film mode under the picture settings?

make sure it is on one of them and then put your contrast at 45% to start with.
    Adjust the brightness whilst playing a film with black bars and turn it down until it does not get any darker.
    And make sure the the colour looks natural, if you pump the colour up it will cause all sorts of problems to other areas.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Does it look like it is juddering across the screen rather than smooth as you would get on a CRT?

6. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When you mentioned the quality of the footy pictures I assumed it was because you were watching Leeds United on your plasma - obviously you wont be seeing very good quality images then!!!

CK

7. loveleeds

loveleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes that's a far better description!! :)

8. loveleeds

loveleeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oi!! :mad: Below the belt!! :D

9. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One other thing LL..once you have adjusted all the settings give the tv time to run in...I found the picture improves ...I saw pixelation with my telewest box when I first got the tv but now a month later its almost impossible find