1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner's Question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nheather, Mar 21, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    I have some Sony egg type speakers which were bought as a comprise because my wife liked them.

Actually they are not too bad but as they only go down to 120Hz they are rather lacking in bass.

So I want a reasonable but cost effective sub to go with them.

My concern is that she has heard a system with a Mission MS8 sub and she hated the ground shaking thumps when watching a dolby digital movie.

Is it possible to get a sub which delivers enough bass to support the satellites but that doesn't rattle out your fillings - I'm guessing that if I turn up the level to fill the room with bass then the sound effects are going to rock the house.

I'm considering the Ruark Vita 50 or 100 - any views would be welcome.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You've got it just right, there's no escaping the ground shaking when you start crankng the volume up I'm afraid.

I've not heard them but the Ruarks you mention would seem like a good option given your constraints. :)

3. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    from what i've heard of the Vita 100, its an impressive sub for the money. you can't really go wrong for £200, and i'm sure if you worked really hard, you should see £180 without too much bother.

Regards

Tom

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,347
    Tom,

Thanks for the response - yes I could get one for £179 but I guess I need to get it from BK as they have offered to increase the top roll-off frequency.

The unmodified Vitas go to 120Hz and my speakers come down to 120Hz so assuming that both figures are quoted at -3dB, there would be a substantial hole in the frequency range.

BK have said that they can modify the upper roll off to 240Hz - I guess I need this doing so am tied to them for supply.

Cheers,

Nigel

5. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did someone say Egg shaped speakers?

That won’t do there is ways around this; take small steps baby steps the man said?

And at the end of the road he said you will have a home cinema that will rocket you out of your chair; and woooo this blew me away…

Still getting over the shock of it all till next time Nanoo Nanoo?

Ashley…
    [​IMG]

That Will only go down to 120Hz well Star Trek 3 the search for Spock; isn’t going to blow you away?

Install matching speakers across the front; that’s the way of it and behind the cinema screen you will see no more than matching speakers.