beginners guitar player thread

I’m sure I read that they’d improved them, no idea in what way, from 2015 to 2016. Titanium nut in mine too, which may make a difference?

Mine stay solidly in tune, no issues at all. You can adjust between accuracy and speed to taste, so if you want them super accurate they obviously take a little longer, if you want them quicker, to within a cent or two, they can do that too.

If you just play standard and just want to check you’re in tune, or maybe Drop D, then yes, it’s probably quicker and easier, but if you want to go from Standard to say Open G, I find it much quicker and easier just to let it do it’s thing, especially as it means I don’t have to remember what string needs to be tuned for what for anything other than Standard or Drop D.

Bearing in mind it tunes all six strings at once, unless you can tune by ear, I’d say it’s defi quicker and easier.

From the front I don’t see any difference, looks
wise, obviously form the back, you’ve got the plastic box thing stuck on the back of the headstock.

The only problem I have with re-stringing is I don’t do it enough to remember how to do it without consulting the manual to see which combination of buttons to press :)

Other than that and remembering which Direction to wrap the strings around the tuners it’s a breeze, couple of button presses and it winds the string and tunes it. What could be easier?:)

Not played live yet, but wouldn’t hesitate to use them when I do.

I mean, how often to you change tunings playing live? Wouldn’t it be easier to have a couple other guitars on hand for different tunings?​

Yeah I could see how they would be handy for different tunings.....something I've never tried ..not even drop d...have enough trouble in standard tuning !

Keep saying I'll have a go at the "keef' tuning one day.

Maybe the nut might have been a big factor ...I took the robot tuners off and changed the nut for a tusqu adjustable one at the same time.
...only got the titanium freebie off Gibson later.

.....I got the junior for a steal price during that mad but short lived Amazon sale..regret I didn't buy a standard or something..or the double cut.

Was a blind buy at that price but wasn't sure how I'd get on with wide neck...but I like it and find it pretty comfortable to play...the junior is very light too.

Think at the time some of the standards were 700 quid !.

Last edited:
A week of practice and min of 12hrs input, I don't feel like there's been any kind of improvements :(. Still too slow on boom-chuck pattern and G-C change.

...keep at it ..:thumbsup:
plenty of times it feels you're not getting any where ...then one day ....it all comes together.
...I struggled with C for an age.

A 'big' G chord fingering to a C add 9 is an easy change that can be done very quickly..sounds just like a C and is used in stacks of songs....can get you by whilst you work on the C

Think Johnny cash uses it on ring of fire if I remember rightly

Hitting the bass note the boom Chuck stylee is a matter of keeping at it.

A week of practice and min of 12hrs input, I don't feel like there's been any kind of improvements :(. Still too slow on boom-chuck pattern and G-C change.
I find that learning guitar has more plateaus than peaks. The troughs are worse though ;)
Took me an absolute age to get C sorted. Take a break from that big chord change and go with the easier A, D, E 12 bar to keep your spirits up, then go back to C & G after a while. It sometimes surprises me that what seems difficult gets a bit easier after a break.

Another thing to have a little go at now and then is making a G with just your little finger on the high E..the next finger on the low E and the next finger on the A string....which Makes the C change a doddle...(you can get away with leaving your little finger on )...and frees up your pointy finger to do other stuff later.

Also makes a change to G7 really easy.
I use it for playing half a world away for a G to G7 change

Just have a little go at it now and then...it is hard to do and feels weird ...but getting used to it now will come in handy later down the line ...also pays to get used to using your pinky finger .

Nothing ever comes quick to me ..it all takes practice

good deal for anyone who just wants to play and jam along through their living room hi-fi or through headphones etc....£99

Buy the Line 6 Amplifi TT.

definitely would have had one of these when i first started playing electric

Another thing to have a little go at now and then is making a G with just your little finger on the high E..the next finger on the low E and the next finger on the A string....which Makes the C change a doddle...(you can get away with leaving your little finger on )...and frees up your pointy finger to do other stuff later.

Also makes a change to G7 really easy.
I use it for playing half a world away for a G to G7 change

Just have a little go at it now and then...it is hard to do and feels weird ...but getting used to it now will come in handy later down the line ...also pays to get used to using your pinky finger .

Nothing ever comes quick to me ..it all takes practice

This( fingers 234 instead 123) is what I've in mind and building up the speed but still early days. Can easily do G-G7-G with this combi but on C-G change, either pinky will just refuse to move or 1st string gets under nail :laugh:. Much easier with big G and Cadd9 with bonus of easy change to from D. Back to metronome and looks like a week on these chords plus strums.

When starting were any of you able to play those beginner songs from justinguitar,andyguitar etc after completing level1 or basics?

The quickest thing to come is trimming of nails since picking up the guitar :thumbsup:

I bought the Justin guitar beginners book...felt I should after all the time I was learning stuff off his vids.

Starts off on easy A E and D stuff..don't know if you can play those but I started on those chords....using the anchor finger method...

Once you got them they are absolutely stacks of easy songs you can play..then concentrate on strumming etc.

Talking of speeding up chord changes Justin's 1 minute chord changes is the way to go

I still struggle to play some chords clean, I've had to start to really try and remember to get my fretting hand away from the neck with my fingers on hooks not to deaden any near by strings.

Don't get hung up on how quickly you pick things up, the important thing is to keep progressing and enjoying playing.

A lot of guitar is muscle memory so repetition is what is needed hence the 1 min chord changes work so well. I do find when I knuckle down and put the hard graft in eventually there will come a point where I will see the benefit. Equally sometimes you hit a wall and just need to try a different approach or come back.

That's the great thing when you start out is that you see improvement so quickly but equally it can feel overwhelming that there is so much to learn. Recording or keeping a journal helps so you can see the progress and setting yourself a few short term goals so there is always something you can say you have improved.

Looks like the problem is the tempo of the songs listed as beginners song. Managed whole song without any hesitation on "500 miles away from home" (G Em Am A7 D7). What a pleasure to hit this song both with boom-chika and D DU U DU patterns. Wish you were here(C D Am G) is also a slow strumming song and think done it quite good with just the feel of the groove. If not for the super sloppy change on Bm, even Hotel california (Bm F#7 A E7 G D Am) went very well. Only stopped for today as my finger tips are super sore now with deep string marks ;).

Any other slow songs with tempo of 80 or below bpm?

I've given up now on I walk the line as the tempo is too fast for me. 500 miles & blowing in the wind need little bit of riff/licks in between but feels like I'm almost there. Well sounds good to me esp when drunk :D. Also progress on palm muting and Stand by me (D XU U XU) but off on timing.

On to my 3rd month: tears in heaven and A-shaped barre chords
I can now do 1st line of intro on tears in heaven and trying to build up speed. Not sure but feels like it's within my reach. I'm practising A shape barre chord on 7th fret and can form the chord with clean sound (1st string muted) but wow this thing hurts. Fine with E/Am shaped barre chords but never tried A shaped before as thought need a clean low e. Anyway these two with strum + chord changes practice looks like enough of work till end of april :thumbsup:.

What fingers do you use for the A barres? 1st and 4th works for me. Many use 1st and 3rd but I find that awkward.

1+3. Pinky is too weak and won't bend.

What fingers do you use for the A barres? 1st and 4th works for me. Many use 1st and 3rd but I find that awkward.
I'm the other way round, find it really hard with the pinky, doesn't bend and feels like it's not my finger.

I'm practising A shape barre chord on 7th fret and can form the chord with clean sound (1st string muted) but wow this thing hurts.
Acoustics tend to have relatively heavy gauge strings & even from the factory, can have high action. If the Yamaha was truly free then it would be worth getting a local luthier to look it over to check truss rod adjustment, any faults that could have raised the action & if the saddle & nut can be trimmed to lower it. Depending on what's on there it may also be possible to drop a string gauge or two for now.

Thought about that and have a new elixir 80/20 bronze ready to go. But out of nowhere the guitar is now sounding more like those used in youtube tutorials :). Not sure of the brand or age of the strings on guitar but at the moment with limited playing ability, will take it lil further. As for string ht, at 12th fret 6th string is 5mm :eek: and 1st is ~2mm. Again as most of my practises are upto 5th fret (~2mm) not sure if I should be looking to lower them for now. How much are the average costs for these?

As for string ht, at 12th fret 6th string is 5mm :eek: and 1st is ~2mm.
If my dodgy conversion skills are roughly right then both of those are well over double what they should typically be. So well worth getting it checked out.

How much are the average costs for these?
I'm afraid I've no idea. Might be a case of taking it into a couple of shops & asking their advice on if it's fixable & how much it will cost. If you post your location someone may be able to make a recommendation for someone near you.

The part that surprises me is the 3mm difference between the height of the 1st and 6th strings, a 1mm difference is typical. Something not quite right to cause that.

The part that surprises me is the 3mm difference between the height of the 1st and 6th strings, a 1mm difference is typical. Something not quite right to cause that.
I took that to be 3mm between 1st & 12th frets on the 6th string. But yes, it does sound like belly may have sunk & effectively raised the bridge. No wonder he’s struggling to bar at the 7th!

Although if your interpretation is correct the neck must be twisted.

Thanks and made up mind to take to shop (closed on weekends). There's one very near to us with good user reviews. He has £45 as guidance on price list for player setup (intonation, string action, neck relief, nut action, fret clean & polish) incl string change.

It is ~3mm difference on 1st & 6th string on 12th fret and similar on 6th string from 1st to 12th fret. Twisted neck, sunken belly :(

You should be able to get a good idea of how straight the neck is simply by looking down it. I would think that a twist of that suggested severity would be pretty obvious. If you have a metal rule of around 500mm you can place that on the frets & gently slide it towards the bridge. It should roughly be level with the top of the bridge (not saddle) & equal height both sides. The straight edge will also show if the neck relief is correct if you don't own a capo. Should be somewhere around 10 thousands of an inch at the 7th fret.

Can you post pics of the nut & bridge/saddle? That sounds beyond economical repair sadly.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom