beginners guitar player thread

Had a week there in 08, building works everywhere, is it finished yet ;)
Truly is an amazing place, but damn it was hot.

Seems mostly so, although they building another tower for 2020, so that when current highest building gets overtaken soon, they can retake crown

Also a 2nd palm out in water. There's some rich people around! First island has hundreds posh apartments/ hotels. The Burj Arab is £3000 a night minimum.

32 today but gone cloudy and windy. We packing for departure :)

Back to serious guitar practice tomorrow night!

IMG_4809.JPG

( oops didn't finish before posting )sent a cheeky email to guitar tricks.com to say their subs were a little to expensive, and that's why I left last time, asked if the pice was negotiable.

They sent me code for the price of $99 for a year, works out about £87 pa and £7.50 pm.

Think it's $20 ish pm atm.

If you don't ask......

Last edited:
Guitar Tricks is decent. Nice mix of songs on there, for various abilities. Some good structured lessons they branch off the core learning bit, into rock, country, blues and the like, so you can dip in and out of whatever you feel like.

I pay $14.99 a month, whatever that works out to these days.

Now if I could actually get around to actually using it once in a while.... :)

Guitar Tricks is decent. Nice mix of songs on there, for various abilities. Some good structured lessons they branch off the core learning bit, into rock, country, blues and the like, so you can dip in and out of whatever you feel like.

I pay $14.99 a month, whatever that works out to these days.

Now if I could actually get around to actually using it once in a while.... :)
Yeah I was a member for a few months, liked how you could follow your progress and keep track, plus showing you how to get a specific tone etc.

Was like you tho, just didn't get the time so was eating away at me paying the subs.

But when you've got money to burn even if your not using it, just send me your log in details and I'll put your money to good use. [emoji12]

last time I was there I was walking round with a gas mask round me waist.

place has changed beyond recognition from when I was there in 90.......do remember being chucked out of a restaurant mid meal whilst the police shut it down for afternoon prayers.

mind you they did stick it in the oven to keep it warm .

I think we were discussing this a few weeks ago? Their conclusion is not what I expected.

So the answer is 'the girl next door in jeans'! Watched last ten minutes, very interesting. Gkf9 deliberated this question recently.

Another repair. The bridge had pulled off a young lady's cheap classical.

Poor glue job and the bridge was sat on lacquer at the edges.
20170507_104039.jpg 20170507_104047.jpg

Took the glue off with a chisel and sandpaper.
20170507_105158.jpg 20170507_105308.jpg 20170507_110340.jpg

Cut out the remaining lacquer from the bridge footprint, masked off and applied slightly diluted glue to both surfaces.
20170507_110758.jpg 20170507_112800.jpg 20170507_113339.jpg

Can't justify the cost of sound hole clamps for a free repair so I resorted to gentle improv.
20170507_114032.jpg 20170507_114054.jpg

Well not posted anything for yonks .......so

Might be old hat to a few but was messing around yesterday and rather than playing to a backing track I decided to download a drum app to my tablet as I've never used one before.

Hooked it up to my stereo and killed an hour or 2.....punk beat was fun.

Never liked playing to a metronome when I started playing but I did find using the app that I had to concentrate a bit more than normal as its easy to drift off the beat a tadge if you're not careful.

Anyway good way to thrash out some power chords rhythms

I like to put my drum machine on and play along, or sometimes use Garage band with a click track, then overdub some drums with my fingers and build up a song. I find it really helps to learn a song inside out.

I did look at garage band..

Trouble Is it all looks complicated to me

I did use to use Garageband but that was back in the beginning when it was a lot simpler. I sometimes use the drum tracks on my RC-3 looper but did see this some time ago and the demos, although not perfect were pretty good at times.

Digitech Trio Band Creator: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Picked up the TC Angel Wing chorus and Sweet Cream pedal a few weeks ago - fantastic for the price. Tempted to get one or two more to build a full set of mini pedals as my board is quite small :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
yeah wouldn't mind a trio+....only snag is my blackstar hasn't got an effects loop so some potential there is lost

yeah wouldn't mind a trio+....only snag is my blackstar hasn't got an effects loop so some potential there is lost

I haven't got an effects loop either - run my RC-3 in the front but I don't use any distortion or effects on my Marshall anymore as I'm finding pedals to be a lot better.

Yeah would like to try lay a bit of both down .

Annoyingly black star introduced a firmware update for an effects loop

...but only the models above mine

A mate found a small old guitar for his 6yo grand daughter to beat on but it needed new tuners and a bit of fettling.

A bit of an oddball size but found some tuners on eBay for about £4. The shafts were too long though so needed cutting down.
20170812_095928.jpg

Frets and fingerboard needed cleaning.
20170812_103057.jpg 20170812_103600.jpg

Then the joys of stringing the thing at which time the saddle disintegrated.
20170812_104600.jpg 20170812_111145.jpg

A quick scrounge turned up and old pickguard so I made a replacement saddle.
20170812_111819.jpg

Finished the stringing and tidied things up.
20170812_115716.jpg 20170812_122344.jpg 20170812_120037.jpg 20170812_120112.jpg

Done. Hopefully it might just inspire the kid to be a future Taylor Swift :)

my daughters still got her classical guitar...gathering dust somewhere.....back then as neither of us knew anything about guitars we were persuaded to go nylon for ease on the fingers.

thankfully I've never been asked to re-string it

...wasn't that cheap if I remember rightly......probably struggle to sell it on.

well dug this up to see how long i've been playing now....

4 years in january .

not sure if i actually had a compliment in a guitar shop the other day...that would be my first!

was noodling around on a few guitars...got talking to the owner....when i said how long i've been playing he did look genuinely suprised !

...mind you thinking about it lately....that surprise could have worked either way!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom