beginners guitar player thread

must admit I prefer to play acoustic with my fingers...just sounds better...the only time in my entire life I've let my fingernails grow a bit.

sometimes strum my tele with fingers......seems to suit that particular guitar more than the others.

yeah I wish!

mind you I can see why he changed his original pick guard to red ! .....very easy to get carried away

Is it normal to seem to be getting worse on a guitar?

I've been trying to learn a solo for ages now, had the 1st part down, (well ok ish for now) but now forgot most of this whilst busy learning the next bit.

But the next part I've been trying to grasp, what seems like years trying to play it. I just can't get any better at it.

Really feel like giving the guitar up for awhile. I know I keep saying this, but I really do need to get out to a shop and try a few different guitars, maybe with thinner neck.

Don't know if the Epi is to chunky neck, I seem to struggle sometimes getting my hands around it.

Or maybe I'm clutching at straws and it's more me.

Really felt like lobbing my guitar out of the window tonight. Not felt like that for ages.

Bad tone, wrong notes, bad bends....everything.!

Probably coming across as a spoilt brat, but I'm putting the hours in with no reward atm.

Sounds like you're just having one of those days, when nothing you do sounds any good. Happens to us all, I'm sure.

It maybe that you're just burnt out on that one particular piece and you need to give it a break for a while and try some thing else and come back to it again later.

Leave it for today. For the next couple of days, strum some chords and get your smile back.

When it happens to me, that's my solution.

Yeah think we all have an off day....

Think having a couple of days out now and then can sometimes help rather than hinder if you ask me

Sounds like you're just having one of those days, when nothing you do sounds any good. Happens to us all, I'm sure.

It maybe that you're just burnt out on that one particular piece and you need to give it a break for a while and try some thing else and come back to it again later.
Seem to be having a lot of off days lately.

Weird things happen. When I was a student decades ago I bought an amp from The Maniac Cash Buyer secondhand shop in Tooting for £52. It was a Fender Deluxe Reverb, 1965, totally unmolested.
Used it on and off until 2011, then decided I wasn't playing much and sold it on eBay, still unmolested after all those years. Turned out it was the holy grail of amps, and I had bidders from all over the world.
A few people made the trip to try it, and fortunately the winning bidder was from London, so I didn't have to pack and ship. Once it had gone I got interested in playing again - see what I mean about weird? I started writing songs, then recording them in Garageband, and acquiring more gear. As a guitar player, one of the most interesting acquisitions was my Roland guiar synth - there's a six-part digital pickup you attach to a guitar, and the synth let's you play brass, piano, organ, strings, anything you fancy, all from your guitar.
Now that is power! I can now record all sorts of instrumental parts on my songs without leaving home. Fun stuff!

Is it normal to seem to be getting worse on a guitar?
Yep really common, happens all the time to me. The phrase "use it or lose it" always comes to mind as if I don't commit something to long term memory by playing it until its etched in stone in my memory I can guarantee it's gone in a short time.

Its a balance really as sometimes you just have to get your head down and repeat and repeat again until it comes together. Other times it's best to just call it quits or give up that day and jam. A good instructor can save a ton on this as they can usually tell if you are being to ambitious or help you in other ways. A decent practice regime also works wonders...but how many of us actually do that is another matter :)

Chances are it's not the guitar neck, but if a new guitar gives you enthusiasm and feels easier to play then its certainly worth a try. The next guitar just may unlock your hidden Hendrix and turn you into a Rock god, that's my theory anyway :laugh:

Ha, Hendrix with a new neck, that would be magical!

I've since calmed down now, and just jammed as you said. I seem to play and sound better when I'm not plugged in. Obviously the amp amplifiers all the mistakes.

Just going to start learning some easy licks for awhile.
I am at a stage now where I don't know what to practice because their's just to much information overload on the net.

Every time I seem to learn a song, I find another played and sounding better than my version so I start over again.

And once again it all comes down to limited time to learn stuff.
But I'll keep going.

Yeah think you get to stage where this does become a bit of a problem....what to focus on and when......

For me I can do various things in isolation ...its just trying to link them together.. …for example you'll watch players chugging along with a rhythm of whatever......chuck a little lick or something in ....then straight back into the rhythm without skipping a beat......as if 2 guitars are involved

Not sure how much an amp can be involved in masking a gap.....delay or a bit of letting a bit ring out a tadge etc....skill ....or both!

Spent a lot of time on my amp yesterday...had been using a lot of downloaded patches....but as theres 4 rows of banks....and Ive got 3 electrics....and the fact that I've been doing a bit of research on the valve types I've decided to use one row of 4 banks for each guitar...one clean ...one bit more dirtier etc

.....which leaves one row of 4 banks for some favorite patches

Took an age to get 4 for my tele....just the Lp and the dot to go

Ha, Hendrix with a new neck, that would be magical!

I've since calmed down now, and just jammed as you said. I seem to play and sound better when I'm not plugged in. Obviously the amp amplifiers all the mistakes.

Just going to start learning some easy licks for awhile.
I am at a stage now where I don't know what to practice because their's just to much information overload on the net.

Every time I seem to learn a song, I find another played and sounding better than my version so I start over again.

And once again it all comes down to limited time to learn stuff.
But I'll keep going.

Yeah, all the resources at your fingertips, great as it is, is a two-edged sword, it's easy to get distracted, which is my main problem, too easy to give up on one thing when it gets a bit tricky and move onto something else, rather than plugging away at the first thing.

Maybe be reconsider lessons? If nothing else, it forces you to focus on some things and stick with them.

I always try to start off and have 10 mins on the Pentatonic minor scale, but find my mind starts wondering on the second play through.
I should knuckle down on them really because I get Sloppy when playing them. I need to learn them in intervals instead of going from 1-5 in the shapes.

Need to be able to play any shape instantly. Getting there slowly. But then at the same time I'm learning the Caged for the majors, and it starts getting confusing with which shape goes with the major and minor.

I know you can move it all down 3 frets, I can do that easily on the bottom E string but struggle anywhere else moving it up 3 frets, just can't get my head round it.

Anyway sorry about the ramblings, I've only one guitar so don't have the problems you have.

No worries, that's what we're here for, it's good to vent and to get help and encouragement when things get frustrating.

Yeah, all the resources at your fingertips, great as it is, is a two-edged sword, it's easy to get distracted, which is my main problem, too easy to give up on one thing when it gets a bit tricky and move onto something else, rather than plugging away at the first thing.

Maybe be reconsider lessons? If nothing else, it forces you to focus on some things and stick with them.
Yeah that's definitely it, I'm really trying to not get distracted by ANYMORE songs till I've at least got one nailed, even if it takes me years!

I've been put off by lessons atm, I really just wanted a tutor to say, right go and learn this scale, riff etc then come back and we'll see how your doing. If you haven't learnt it I'll stick you in the naughty corner.
But then I'd start thinking I can learn this on YT all over again.

Plus I'm saving £50 ish pm, and putting it in the bank to hopefully help my GAS.

It's really hard knowing that if I hadn't commitments I could up my game 100% but hey, what would we do without lovely family and friends.[emoji1]

I think sometimes I might have OCD at trying to be good on the guitar now instead of many years down the line.

Certainly doesn't help when you see kids belt out solo's effortlessly.

Hope in my next life something twigs in my brain to learn music at school instead of paper plane throwing around the classroom [emoji1]

No matter how good you are, there's always someone better.

I've gone past the point now about worrying how much better other people are than i am, even those that haven't been playing as long as I have.

I just try and concentrate on improving myself, even if it does seem a really slow process and is very discouraging seeing an 8 year old shredding away better than I ever will :)

Finally got around to doing a clean and setup on a 2003 Ibanez RG.

The usual stuff apart from my (wifes) recent magnifying lamp.
20160806_122115.jpg

The guitar has been well looked after or hardly played, whichever. Just needs some TLC and set up properly.
Stripped and cleaned the Floyd.
20160806_123654.jpg

Dull frets sorted with the rubber and Dremel.
20160806_125248.jpg

One fret half done,
20160806_125617.jpg

A quick buffing to bring back the shine.
20160806_132135.jpg

That's the finish I'm looking for.
20160806_133949.jpg

New set of 10s
20160806_134601.jpg 20160806_134819.jpg

Setup the Floyd, action and intonation. Relief is a little bit on the straight side but I don't have a socket to fit this TR.
Fast fret and polished.
20160806_145319.jpg

Next job is to mow the grass. ;)
20160806_145703.jpg

[QUOTE="gkf9, Seem to be having a lot of off days lately.[/QUOTE]

Do you have an acoustic? If not I'd recommend getting one.. If you're banging your heading against the wall with a scale or solo etc pick the acoustic up and knock out a few easy 3 or 4 chord songs sing along chill out and enjoy playing, you still get your practice in you're still playing songs and more importantly it's fun I'd be lost without mine come in from work play a few songs on the acoustic before dinner then plug in the electric and you're already in the mood [emoji3]

[QUOTE="gkf9, Seem to be having a lot of off days lately.

Do you have an acoustic? If not I'd recommend getting one.. If you're banging your heading against the wall with a scale or solo etc pick the acoustic up and knock out a few easy 3 or 4 chord songs sing along chill out and enjoy playing, you still get your practice in you're still playing songs and more importantly it's fun I'd be lost without mine come in from work play a few songs on the acoustic before dinner then plug in the electric and you're already in the mood [emoji3][/QUOTE]
Yeah I've got one, but it's a dog to play, would wind me up even more [emoji1]
But like someone else said and you now, I've been playing some chords and yes it's calmed back down till next time.

No matter how good you are, there's always someone better.

This is so true...the tutor at the college started playing in the 1980s when I'd been playing for 7-8 years already and since he's my tutor you can guess who plays better...

My cousin's lad is about 28 and can play so many different styles from metal through to his latest passion which is Country music. He can play them all extremely well too.

That's just two people off the top of my head that I ought to be able to out play, but can't. However, I see it as a challenge to at least play some songs as well as they can and on rare occasions I think I've achieve that. Unfortunately, despite playing guitar much more in the last 2 years than any time in my 40+ years of playing I will have to take the next term off due to hand problems. :( On the plus side it gives me an excuse to play the drums next term...

OT: I also take the view that there is always someone worse off than me, plus no matter how well I think I might be doing there is always someone richer than me. Helps to keep me humble I'd like to think.

Without wanting to sound like an inspirational cat poster, it shouldn't matter who is better or worse than you, the main thing is are you better than you were, and are you the best you can be yet?

Unless it's that kid at school that used to bully you. You should be better than him.

Totally agree with the acoustic idea.....pick mine up all the time and strum a few chord progressions.....find it pretty relaxing and you don't have to do anything complicated for it to sound good.

I've heard many a good song writer say if you can't play it on an acoustic then its probably not a good song

Actually thinking about it so far the most money I've spent on one guitar is my Yamaha acoustic.

Mind you I first started on an acoustic ....personally i still think its the best way to begin playing

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom