Quantcast

beginners guitar player thread

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
As far as I can see, the nut and saddle look Ok. The strings at the nut look like they could go a bit lower perhaps. The neck shot isn't showing much, other than the really high action that you described.
Really needs to be handled to make an assessment. Take it to the guy and ask his opinion before going ahead with any work.

Couldn't find a pic on the net so I took a couple to help show how to check if a neck is twisted. Place a straight edge on the headstock and another on the flat part if the bridge. Sight down them and they should look parallel. Hopefully it is fine and we have just lost something in translation.

20190310_232400.jpg 20190310_232408.jpg 20190310_232507.jpg 20190310_232356.jpg

starfarer

I was sliding the ruler parallel on fretboard from nut side to bridge :blush: but your pics made it much clearer :thumbsup:. Placing a ruler as per your pics on headstock (after DG string pegs) and another one resting on bridge, all I can see is nut and not even the edge of ruler on the bridge?? No obvious sign of neck bend or any damage but when sighting from bridge side with 6th string as reference for straight line, the action starts to get bigger from 2nd fret to last. Thought this to be normal. Now if I press 6th string at last fret, then it is parallel to fretboard. I'm off for next two days and will be taking it for inspection plus work if not too expensive.

As for unplugged Tears in heaven, I'm stuck on F#7. No matter what I do, D string is always muted :(.

starfarer

Took it to the shop and action lowered. No other issues with guitar :thumbsup: and even strings didn't need replacing. Now the 6th string at 12F is under 3mm (~2.6). So much easier with barre chords. All I need now on A shaped bar chords are faster changes from open chords and E7/A7 barre chords are also showing big improvements with every strings ringing out.

starfarer

Now stuck on bridge part starting "time can bring you down..." There're too many quick finger picking style and finding hard to memorize changes.

Easily and almost every time hitting clean on A (with 1st string ringing too) and E7/A7 barre chords. Just the issue of changing quickly from open chords. Hoping more practice and time will sort it out itself. I can even play and do quick changes on open A chord with barre style :thumbsup:

Consistent strumming with pick is still a struggle. Basic DUx4 with metronome timer set at 3 mins at slow speed, I'm constantly missing strokes especially ups. I was also getting wrist fatigue on strumming so changed style with pick angle when hitting strings. It is now more at 90° with strings without needing to change angle on downs and ups or to twist wrist. Early days but much easier this way with better sounding. Dunlop max grip are on the way from amazon for next step up :D.

Not sure if it's a problem but iMO I'm spending far too much time on guitar practice. I've not actually clocked the times but someday it goes on for hours. It is basically what I do at home now these days ;). Practicing on barre chords, chord changes, strums, songs, fingerpicking and just messing around all adds up. Maybe better to scale back and drop few things like fingerpicking? At the moment, I'm trying to have some muscle memory on basic arpeggio, constant bass,alternating bass, outside/inside and basic travis on C-Am-F-G.

Overall happy with progress for 3 months.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Maybe better to scale back and drop few things like fingerpicking?
Depends what you want to achieve & when. Logically if you're attempting 10 different things then it will take (at least) 10 times as long to master them all. So concentrating on fewer should bring faster results. But on the other hand mixing it up keeps it interesting, as keeping on at the same thing can become tedious. One thing to watch though is that you don't just jump to something else when things get tricky, which is tempting. Sometimes you just have to knuckle down & persevere.

But I'd say that as long as you're enjoying it, it doesn't really matter.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Yeah I do a bit of finger picking for five or 10 minutes a day ..normally first thing in the morning with a cup or tea....have done for maybe a couple of years..

Still not much good at it though !

starfarer

Fingerpicking is just a show off for now :rotfl: as they sound proper "melody" on any chord combi. On serious note, I've sights on few off guitarnick.com. I can play pretty well Happy B'day but who plays it in real life ;). Main priority is on strum as I believe this is the weakest link holding me going any further.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
theres the 'most common strum pattern ever' ....forget exactly what it is ddu udu i think off the top of my head....a quick google will tell you

...you can pretty much fit that to stacks of songs

starfarer

After endless hrs of strumming dux4, finally getting very consistent with almost zero miss. I can now even count 16 DU notes too :clap:. I was ok strumming with fingers but using pick was different story. In the end, pick types (now have collection of 3 different ones) and size didn't matter much. Currently using Dunlop maxi-grip 1.0

Fingerpicking for next few months.

starfarer

On to the 9th Month

Still here :hiya: & not giving up that easily. Sometimes it gets extremely frustrating especially memorising the changes/next move for fingerpicking. Not sure whether if it's due to getting older or same for most ppl. Eg Dionisio Aguado. Short Easy fingering and pattern but remembering the whole thing is proving to be a real challenge. Need to improve on speed, some accuracy & mainly rhythm but IMO progress has been steady on fingerpicking songs like Wonderful tonight, silent night, blackbird, ode to joy,safe and sound, stand by me, flatpicking on Arkansas Traveller and combi of strumming + fingerpicking on I'll follow you into the dark. Yesterday took me under half hr mark to crack famous tune of Stairways to heaven with slight muting on some barre chords. Not the first try but yesterday it just clicked all the way until to strumming part. Soon planning to pick up on River flows in you from tricky chorus part & more practice time on last minor chords of Spanish romance. List looks extensive (most share similar patterns & chords) but most of the times, just a part sounds like them and some sections are way off :(.

I'm also slowly getting into small music theory, major scale patterns and trying to memorise the fretboard. No problem finding notes on strings and major scale notes of certain key but don't know the application. Maybe something that'll be useful in the future.

Changed strings following Youtube video and first week it sounded really bad. Think it's getting better now. Bought cheap used Korg CA-40 tuner and korg MA-1 metronome to help with practice.

Problem after all these months I've having is on G maj Chord as can't get very clean B on 5th string. As B is open on 2nd, is it necessary on 5th A string? I've looked on net and read some mixed answers so curious to hear opinion here. I've tried everything with different variation and the most I get is very muddy on 5th.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Well if you can finger pick the songs you've listed even half decently after nine months you've done well .
Regarding the G chord...do a 'big' G...rock G...Noel Gallagher G..or whatever it's called these days...won't have to worry about the B string as it's held down...also makes it easy to drop it down for a blagged C chord. (C add 9 )

..also good to try and get into the habit of playing a G with little finger on high E..3 rd finger on low E..second finger on the A string...frees up your first finger to add little bits..plus you can go to C or G7 easily

(The Verve's drugs don't work and Noel Gallagher's half a world away are a couple of examples where it makes things easier are a couple of examples I can think of )

Found it a bit more tricky to get used to after playing it the 'big' G way for ages

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Problem after all these months I've having is on G maj Chord as can't get very clean B on 5th string. As B is open on 2nd, is it necessary on 5th A string?
As a major chord is made of just 3 notes (in the case of Gmaj, G, B and D) it doesn't matter much from a technical view how many of each you play. But the sound is different by omitting that low B. Instead of working round the issue perhaps you should figure why the B isn't clean and fix it.
Regarding reevesey's point with the "big G" I will disagree here. Does't sound much different by playing that D note on the 2nd string, but it provides a nice anchor for a G to D change. Regarding Oasis, you can play all of Wonderwall without moving that finger. A perfect anchor for all the chords.
All IMO of course. It's what you are comfortable with that matters.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Horses for courses as you say..
I've also found when playing a G it can sound better leaving the A string note out all together and mute it ....especially when playing electric with some overdrive /distortion

starfarer

Well if you can finger pick the songs you've listed even half decently after nine months you've done well .

..also good to try and get into the habit of playing a G with little finger on high E..3 rd finger on low E..second finger on the A string...frees up your first finger to add little bits..plus you can go to C or G7 easily
:D thanks... it's just the clever selection of certain songs and easy arrangements from Youtube which sounds nice even playing at slowest speed.

As for G, yes I play with all kind of variations incl thump over 6th. It's also the most used chord for me as I practice strumming mostly on it. Never noticed the issue until trying to learn Stand by me where the changes are from 3-x-x-x-x-0 to x-2-x-x-x-0 and goes to x-3-x-x-x-5. I would've preferred to play 2nd change without worrying about lifting finger from 6th string. That extra move is slowing down. Looks like either I'll have to give more time with lifting finger on that move or nail down to get clean 5th string on G unless it's the physical limit of my fingers.

Just saw the reply. So muting 5th is not technically "bad habit" or cheat G chord? Not that I'll be doing critical playing anytime in future but want to stay away as long as possible from developing cheats/bad habit so early in learning process.

starfarer

Looked into justin guitar's G variation video and he has muted A string (chord chart) on one variation. Never noticed that before.

starfarer

A year here of mixed feelings and not even sure if I've made any progress at all in last 2/3 months. Every 1 year progress in youtube are way better than what I can play or make sound out of this damn wooden box :(. Not giving up after so many hrs spent last year and hoping for improvement this year. OK theres been some progress from playing single string twinkle twinkle star to some fingerstyle melodies but they're just simple moves with melodic tunes. Anything complex and struggle like astronauts doing space repairs.

Kept one eye on possible guitar upgrade and my god half decent ones with some recommendations are expensive for what it is :p. Don't think I'm ready for anything above £500 and don't think I can do justice to them with my current skill. I know it won't be long before getting one but will be dipping on used market. Actually looking few on bay market and itching to press the buy button. I'm seriously curious though what makes these certain guitars expensive compare to cheaper ones?

At the moment I'm bit of lost on what to practice or learn. Watched few CAGED tutorials and all of it bounced off head. I know few scales and box pattern but still no idea what to do with them. Don't get me wrong as I do really enjoy playing what I've learned so far and can easily spend couple hrs playing them but I want to jump :D. Now my expectations are higher than when I first started ;).

Happy new year!!

starfarer

For the sake of better sleep, picked up Faith HiGloss Venus FVHG(electro acoustics) for just under £400. In excellent condition. Handling with more care than freebie Yamaha :rotfl:.

Philly112

Distinguished Member
I have the same guitar; sub £400 is a very good price, I paid £450 for mine. They're very good guitars but unfortunately don't hold their value; don't let that worry you, it's the poor sod who bought it new who's lost out!