beginners guitar player thread

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all...
had a search through this section and couldn't find one place where all beginners could ramble,ask questions....give and receive tips etc so I thought I'd create one.

at the ripe old age of 46 I decided to finally have a go...only been playing just over a month after getting an acoustic but I'm really enjoying it....I was a drummer in a punk band in my teenage years and always thought guitar playing was some sort of voodoo magic...even 3 chord punk thrashings.

people have tried to show me a few times over the years but I always thought it was out of my league and it never took but now I've the time ...sitting down on my own with a few chord diagrams and youtube videos I've managed to learn about 9 chords and a handful of easy songs ..the latest is nancy sinatras 'these boots are made for walking' which is quite easy and really bounces along.
...so I guess you'll never too old to start learning.

anyhow i'll start the ball rolling by asking how long on average does it take to master quick major and minor chord changes?
...I tend to split my practice into 2...1 half chord changes and the other just playing about.

I have noticed a bit of this muscle memory thing...late last night I just sat there going from G to D to E minor to C and back again...closed my eyes for a sec and I was doing it with my eyes shut...thought wow...then lost it.

so I'm guessing just stick with it...I've heard a lot of people say that one day it will just happen but wondered how people have got on with it.

cheers all and hopefully theres a few beginners about

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I'm 53. I played bass in my teens and have never taken it out of the case since.

I have always admired the skills of guitarists so last year I bought an electroacoustic but basically lost interest due to the lack of progress. Since Christmas I have regained the interest by using the JustinGuitar web tutorials and now I have gone all out and bought an electric guitar and amp.

I'm not bad at remembering the chord shapes, but a bit slow changing between them and playing them cleanly.

Still, every day there is an improvement.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
yeah onwards and upwards !
used Justin guitar quite a bit...that's where I picked up the boots are made for walking...he does a good version with the index finger coming on and off the E chord...picked the walking bass line intro somewhere else.
another site is
Free Online Beginner Guitar Lessons

is another good one that I linked in another post...which brings me onto one tip ...I learnt G major right at the start and played around with it for a while before I came across the 'rock' G or the noel Gallagher G...on andyguitars site...using the little finger which helps with some chord changes.

...trouble is I got used to playing a normal G so had to re train my fingers ...also my pinky is more tender than the other fingers so has got to catch up

Goooner

Distinguished Member
You guys may want to have a look here - The learning to play for real thread | AVForums

There's a bunch of us over 40s, that have either started from scratch or restarted after many years that hang our there and discuss all things guitar, from lessons, techniques, gear... Whatever.

I know it's in the Xbox games section, which is because a lot of us started with Rock Band Pro Guitar and moved on to learning for real from there.

No question too basic, we're all at various stages from complete beginner to intermediate :)

reevesy

Distinguished Member
thanks....
thought there must be a thread somewhere but couldn't find one.

though i'll be sticking with acoustic for now

did look at the xbox rock band/smith thing......mind now I've been playing for a little while I'm wondering how I would have got on looking at a tv screen whilst trying to look where I'm putting fingers.

had one of those really good play arounds today where everything landed right and sounded good....even the G to E and back again change on 2 beats was pretty smooth and quick compared to how they have been.

.....also was in a city the other the day and wandered into a guitar shop ....had some amazing looking ones ....could bring myself to have a play in a Waynes World stylee but got me thinking about potential upgrades !

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
You guys may want to have a look here - The learning to play for real thread | AVForums

There's a bunch of us over 40s, that have either started from scratch or restarted after many years that hang our there and discuss all things guitar, from lessons, techniques, gear... Whatever.

I know it's in the Xbox games section, which is because a lot of us started with Rock Band Pro Guitar and moved on to learning for real from there.

No question too basic, we're all at various stages from complete beginner to intermediate :)
Thanks for the link Goooner. :smashin:

I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff somewhere in there for the beginner, but I've skimmed over the first and last five pages and I seems heavily focused on kit.

I'll watch the thread but it's a bit over the horizon from me at this stage.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
yeah onwards and upwards !
used Justin guitar quite a bit...that's where I picked up the boots are made for walking...he does a good version with the index finger coming on and off the E chord...picked the walking bass line intro somewhere else.
another site is
Free Online Beginner Guitar Lessons

is another good one that I linked in another post...which brings me onto one tip ...I learnt G major right at the start and played around with it for a while before I came across the 'rock' G or the noel Gallagher G...on andyguitars site...using the little finger which helps with some chord changes.

...trouble is I got used to playing a normal G so had to re train my fingers ...also my pinky is more tender than the other fingers so has got to catch up
This weekend I am concentrating on strumming patterns, scales and memorizing the notes on the neck.

I need to get some rhythm in there.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the link Goooner. :smashin:

I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff somewhere in there for the beginner, but I've skimmed over the first and last five pages and I seems heavily focused on kit.

I'll watch the thread but it's a bit over the horizon from me at this stage.
:laugh: we do tend to get a bit carried away with gear! Most of us have spent loads of money on gear way beyond our abilities :)

Don't be afraid to just jump in and ask questions or start a conversation, they're a very helpful friendly bunch and nobody will laugh, no matter how basic or silly you think the question may be. There are a few complete beginners in there that have only been playing a couple of months with the help of Rocksmith.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
This weekend I am concentrating on strumming patterns, scales and memorizing the notes on the neck.

I need to get some rhythm in there.
got a couple off now ...struggled a bit at first and used to 'make up' a rhythm ...DD/UU/D is a good one to start with as its applied to a lot of songs....something else I think you just get the hang of after a while

trying to learn the pattern for oasis live forever and hound dog at the mo

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
What pick size are you using?
I'm using Dunlop 0.46 at the moment. Light and forgiving for the strumming but not so good for individual strings.

Last edited:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
something similar...light..0.46 I think....started off with a medium one but as you say it wasn't very forgiving on strumming....light ones can sound a bit 'flappy' when you get going though

got a tin of various sizes from amazon for about 3 quid

Last edited:

Goooner

Distinguished Member
got a couple off now ...struggled a bit at first and used to 'make up' a rhythm ...DD/UU/D is a good one to start with as its applied to a lot of songs....something else I think you just get the hang of after a while

trying to learn the pattern for oasis live forever and hound dog at the mo
I can thoroughly recommend the Justinguitar Beginners Songbook, starts with some really easy songs, just four down strums per bar and goes from there, all the songs have suggested strumming patterns too.

After 3 years, I still can't really work out strumming patterns myself from just listening to a song, probably something I need to practice more.

A tin of various picks is a good idea, then you can try a few and find what suits you best.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
got the oasis strumming pattern off this morning....DDDUDD I think just got to find out hound dog a bit later.
people seem to say learn the song just doing down strums then worry about the strumming pattern later...which helps

...funnily enough I was looking at the justinguitar song book yesterday....17 quid I think....50 songs.

looked at the sample shots and they are laid out well with chords and where the words are in relation....strumming pattern at the side.

...something you could do and print off yourself I suppose but I do feel I should send some money his way as I've used his youtube lessons a lot.

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Yep, it's great that he does all those lessons and stuff for free, I always try and buy stuff off him when I can.

I've got all four of his songbooks now, all the same high quality and loads of great songs, not that I can play a lot of them yet though :laugh:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I have been practicing two chords I have always struggled with, C and F.

As muscle memory takes care of the chords I can focus on strumming. It's only been a couple of hours and things seem to be coming together.

When I look back just two weeks I see a lot of improvement. I'm not trying to strangle the neck anymore so it's much kinder to my fingertips.

Oh,and the minor petatonic is in the bag.

Last edited:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
well just ordered the justinguitar song book so i'll finally be able to chuck out all the bits of scrap paper with chords and bars all scribbled down.

...actually 100 songs....new edition copy

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
How's it going today reevsey?

Still a way to go yet with the C and F chords.

I've got the major pentatonic scale in the tin and the notes on the E and A strings.

Everything just needs to get cleaner, then quicker.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Hey...
well only had quick play this morning...will do a bit more later.....trying to get a good strumming pattern for hound dog....can play it pretty fast but one or two strumming ive tried dont quite sound like the song.
Plus everyone on youtube seems to play it slightly different

Good one to play though as its easy for quick chord changes...and rock n rolly...plus you can adapt and play around with it
A 4 bars.....D 2 bars back to A 2 bars....E 1 bar D 1 bar and back to A 2 bars- stop .....then repeat
A beginners intro to 12 bar blues!

Last edited:

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I have spent some time reading up on chord progressions and this site sums it up nicely for us beginners.

The tongue-in-cheek video is a real light bulb moment for me.

Guitar Chord Progression

I bought a guitar rack and brought my old bass down from out of the wardrobe. God that thing is huge!

reevesy

Distinguished Member
I've seen something similar before ....theres a guy on youtube..riptard I think his name is....also does a good strumming pattern vid

think the main ones are G... D...... Em and C think these get changed around for shed loads of songs.

been practicing something similar...and trying to get strumming patterns constant.

been having ago at F too...which I hit sometimes ....been using F major 7 too as its used in the last bit of oasis live forever chorus.....finding that one a bit tough for a constant smooth strumming.