1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners guide to buying a PJ (PTAE100)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi,

Sorry to ask this as it has probably been asked a thousand times before and I have tried searching, but some of the PTAE100 discussion threads are massive.

Anyhow, I am interested in a projector. The cost and description of the PTAE100 suits me. But, there are a few begginer things I need to know.

I am currently turning my spare room into a cinema room. Length is about 14 foot. Therefore, I reckon that a five to six foot image will be big enough in here. Can the PTAE do this? I would prefer to sit the PJ on a coffee table in the middle of the room but I am not sure what type of throw I would get from there.
    To be honest, I am not after a massive screen just an effective one within the size of the room. I pressume that the closer I place the PJ to the receiving wall, the smaller the image wil be. 5 - 6 foot would be fine I think.

I intend to route component video from the Sony DVD 735d player although this is not prog scan.
    Will this give me a cracking image?

How noisy if the PJ, or PJ's in general. Can it be distracting when viewing a film??

I have often heard of an effect called screen door. Can someone tell what this is and how it is best avoided.

Any advice offered taken. Not new to the AV world regarding sound, widescreen and so on but totally new to the projector. i.e room colours, placement and all that. Presently, 'cinema' room is a blank canvas and ready to start but need to get it right.

I would appreciate any advice offered here. Will the PJ/screen option send me down the true home cinema route or this silly to ask?
    The other thing that I am considering is an RPTV but here, my heart says PJ and screen, my head says TV. Decisions decision.!
    And finally, shold I wait for the new 200 or 300 models. Will they be that much better than the PTAE100???

One last thing to note is that the room will be used solely for cinema. Not s TV for footy watcher but I would rig up the x-box.

Thanks in advance.

Captain Benefit.

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a AE100 owner myself I'll give it a go.
    1. I have a 5 foot 16:9 screen and that places the AE100 about 6-7 feet away from the screen. But that with almost no zoom, so you can have it a litle closer to the screen with more zoom.

2. Component with no P-scan will give you a very good picture, but I recommend you to get a p-scan dvd-player or scaler.

3. It's makes some noise, but it's far from the worst PJ at this. I only notice it when the movie volume is very low.

4. Screendoor is the room between the pixels. When this black area is "big" it's like you look at the picture trough a scrrendoor. To avoid this you should sit something like 2 times the screen wiith away. A litle defocusing and a Hoya FLD filter will also help.
    I'm only bothered with this when the movie is bad and i start looking for it.;)

The room has to be as dark as possible to get desent black levels, the most important factor of a PJ, IMO.

The new models has higher resolution so the screendoor effect will be smaller (they are avalibel from here )
    If you can afford more than £800 there is better PJs out there, no doubt, but you have to double that amount.

Hope this helped a bit.
    Regards Hans

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hans

I have asked this before but never got an answer so here goes. I know the PJ is 700 ANSI but what is it in economy mode? The room I will have my PJ in will have some ambient light so how good is the PJ in economy mode with some ambient light?

Hope you can help:confused:

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mandelbrot,

To my eyes there isn't all that much difference between the two lamp modes on my AE100. I run it in Low and get a perfectly acceptable picture in a less than blacked-out room. Of course, what's perfectly acceptable to me might well not be to you. For "serious" viewing I do black out the area, and get what seems to me to be a fine picture, within the known limits of LCD technology and the Panasonic price range. In an ideal world I'd like more contrast, better blacks and an even sharper image, but this isn't an ideal world and I'm happy with what I've got. I've seen films in the cinema which looked much worse than the results I get at home.

Captain Benefit,

The screen door effect is like looking at a picture through a fine wire mesh similar to what the Americans use on those secondary doors to keep out insects, hence the name. The usual advice is to sit at least one-and-a-half times the screen width away from the projected image; I do this and the screen door effect doesn't bother me.

My AE100 is ceiling mounted just a few feet above and in front of my viewing chair, and the noise doesn't bother me either.

The AE100's zoom lens gives you quite a lot of control over the picture size from any given position.

Overall, I'd say take the plunge and get the AE100. I certainly have never regretted the purchase.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Bert

I am going to try to arrange a demo of the AE100 and the Sanyo Z1 soon. I know the Sanyo should beat it hands down but then again it is £400 dearer, I only want to see just how much better the Sanyo is and if its really worth the extra £400.

:smashin:

6. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I had my demo, the only DVD the store showed me was Toy Story.

CGI always looks great on a PJ but is a poor test of contrast. Think of all the dark scenes in Toy Story.

My tip is take a selction of DVDs. Try a dark film too, like parts of LOTR, just to make sure you are happy with the black levels.

7. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PTAE100 - I have one and recently projected it on a 20ft wall!!!!!
    Using a Digi Beta with component out.
    Oh.....My.....God..........
    It was amazing.
    Dont underestimate the power of this little PJ. Using A PC was even better...reduced the screen door as well...Plus you have total control of all the colour/brightness etc.

As Magking has said...The noise is something you start off hearing and then it soon becomes secondarry to the rest of the experience.

For a full 3D movie experience put a green sweetie wrapper over one eye and a red one over the other...Then get the wife to vibrate your seat and crack you over the head during action sequences :p

Best

Chris

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Chris,

ROFLMAO !!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nice one !

I believe this is known as the Hoyaaaaaah! Filter technique !

Sean G.

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Then get the wife to vibrate your seat...

Guaranteed to liven up any movie-watching experience, I'd have thought.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

10. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :D

lol

I wonder though, how many people tried the sweetie wrapper thing...