Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Beginners choice!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by stevem999, Oct 28, 2003.

1. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :confused: Well the smiley says it all - after having had a 26" Philips Matchline for many years of sterling service, it's showing its age and I need a new TV so in the next couple of months I'm going shopping and I need some help please!

From working my way through the forum, it seems I should be looking at Philips, Sony, Toshiba or JVC sets for picture/build/sound quality. I'm looking for a 28" widescreen - anything bigger would take over my room. (I'm sure all those fat people I see on TV's in Comet/Dixons etc are just badly set up) I also have Sky+, DVD, VCR to connect. I currently use Dolby Pro-Logic decoder in a hi-fi system to provide some surround sound but it's a nightmare of cabling and the speakers are too big, not very wife/family friendly etc etc. I'm not a sound afficianado and so am perhaps thinking of using a TV with internal Dolby PL/Dig which comes with rear speakers and I can plug my gear into - any surround is good as far as I'm concerned.

Budget is probably about £500, maybe some more for something cool! Can anyone give me a better place to start other than a list of manufacturers? Thanks in advance!

2. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I Know it's my first post and I'm looking for help but has anyone got any advice at all? Thanks. Have seen the Panny TX28PS5 - any thoughts. Also seen a couple of Philips ones with wireless rear speakers but they seem way too expensive - any thoughts?

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stevem999,

Welcome to the forums. :smashin:

From what i've seen on here previously, JVC are supposed to offer a good package for what you are looking for.

A good example would be this :-

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/453_104060.html

But always do a search for best prices.

Also this, a bit cheaper, not sure about how good it is though:-

http://uk.pricerunner.com/sound-and-vision/vision/tv/39958/details

Best thing to do is have a look around, find a couple of models that interest you, then post again and i'm sure you'll het some opinions on the sets your looking at.

Hope this is of some assistance to you.

Regards

PaulJ

:cool: :cool:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  5. stevem999

stevem999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the assistance - I will go and check out a few of these suggestions at the weekend and come back with some particular models - as you say I'm sure I'll get a response then!

6. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a JVC 32R25EKSC with the rear speakers and would definitely recommend it, the 28" version is pretty much the same. The one in Comet for £499 is the same tv but with a different model number. The picture is clear and sharp, the sound is fantastic and it looks great too.

Like the other's said look around you might get it cheaper, unbeatable do it for £419 but without speakers.

7. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How many of the R25's Scart sockets are RGB compatible? All the reviews claim it's two, but JVC themselves only list it as having one, despite the cheaper T25 being listed as having two.

I think I'll go ahead and buy one if it is two, don't think I can live with my 21" much longer :)

9. zman

zman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't know about the T25's but the R25's only have the one RGB Scart.

10. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both t25 and r25 have only one RGB scart.