Beginners Advice

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by WiseBuddha, Mar 16, 2006.

1. WiseBuddha

WiseBuddha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Apologies for the rather vague thread title, I have so many questions it hard to summarise them.

Today, on the spur of the moment I decided to have a look at replacing my current television. So I took a trip down to the local Dixons/Currys/Comet shops. I know these are pricier than other retailers, but they do give me a chance to press buttons etc.

I am not an audio or visual evangelist, so I simply want to buy something that will serve me reliably and well for the next 4 or 5 years. However it seems that the good old days of the only choice being Colour or Black and White are over, so I am after some advice before I spend my hard earned cash.

Considering that my current TV (Sony KV-29X5U) has a 29" display I am looking at buying something at least that size, preferably closer to 50". Based on that requirement I belive I am looking at LCD, Plasma or Rear Projection.

After looking at various models, it seems to me that both LCD and Plasma seem to be considerably more expensive than equivalent (size wise) Rear Projection, the only advantage I can see is that they can be wall mounted. Something I wouldnt dream of doing as I live in a relatively new house, and mounting 40kg+ of television on a stud wall is asking for trouble.

So based on my findings today I am looking at spending around £1500 on a 40" -> 50" rear projection television.

Although I think I may have found what I need, I still have a few questions:

- Is HD a flash in pan or is it the new defacto standard?

- It seems that Sky are planning on rolling out HD signals within the next few months (although I assume this will need a new decoder, and in keeping with Sky tradition additional subscription costs). Are any of the other channels planning on an HD rollout any time in the near future? After some hunting, it seems to me that while HD does give a better quality signal and output right now it would be like buying a Widescreen TV in 1995 (i.e. very little support for it)

- Do any of the current games consoles (i.e. Xbox 360) output HD signals?

- What sort of connectivity would the TV require to allow me to use Windows Media Center

- What is the difference between LCD Projection and DLP Projection - I have got conflicting reports on which is better.

- Based on the information above (i.e. requirements and budget) what would you buy?

- Everybody seems to talk about Lamp Life, what is it and should it be something to consider

- What should I look for/avoid when making a purchase

After some hunting these are the two devices I am currently looking at, with a bias towards the LG device.

LG 52SZ8R - http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/...oduct_id=10027 / http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=151706

Sony KDFE50A12U - http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model...&source=kelkoo

Apologies for the rambling post, this is all voodoo black magic to me and I dont want to end up with the 2006 equivalent of Betamax

2. Logan09

Logan09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    - Is HD a flash in pan or is it the new defacto standard?

Well it's taken off in the US and other markets and it looks set o be the new standard for a long while. I don't really think there's any danger of it being a flash in the pan.

- It seems that Sky are planning on rolling out HD signals within the next few months (although I assume this will need a new decoder, and in keeping with Sky tradition additional subscription costs). Are any of the other channels planning on an HD rollout any time in the near future? After some hunting, it seems to me that while HD does give a better quality signal and output right now it would be like buying a Widescreen TV in 1995 (i.e. very little support for it)

Telewest have a HD service now (although only a few programmes on their teleport sevice) and a number of channels have announced HD services due to commence this year. So I think the main options will be sky & telewest.

- Do any of the current games consoles (i.e. Xbox 360) output HD signals?

Xbox 360 does output HD (at 720p & 1080i) for games. PS3, when it's eventually released will support up to 1080p, so both these consoles will be high-def.

- What sort of connectivity would the TV require to allow me to use Windows Media Center

For best quality you want HDMI or DVI (make sure they're HDCP-ready).

- What is the difference between LCD Projection and DLP Projection - I have got conflicting reports on which is better.

DLP projection is generally considered to be better I think. Although Sony's new KDFE50A12U (which you mention below) uses a new type of LCD projection and is supposed to be quite good for the price. Having seen it, I don't think it's as good as the better DLP sets though. As for the technical differences between the 2 projection methods you'd be better looking in the rear projection forum.

- Based on the information above (i.e. requirements and budget) what would you buy?

I personally have a Samsung SP50L7HX that I am very pleased with, and given the choice I would buy it again, although it's a few hundred quid above your price range. The Sagem DLP sets are also worth looking at.

- Everybody seems to talk about Lamp Life, what is it and should it be something to consider

Rear projection TV's have a lamp that needs replacing after a number of hours of use, which depends on the TV, but is usually somewhere in the region of 10,000 hours.

- What should I look for/avoid when making a purchase

After some hunting these are the two devices I am currently looking at, with a bias towards the LG device.

LG 52SZ8R - http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/...oduct_id=10027 / http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?sku=151706

Sony KDFE50A12U - http://www.digital-point.co.uk/model...&source=kelkoo

Apologies for the rambling post, this is all voodoo black magic to me and I dont want to end up with the 2006 equivalent of Betamax[/QUOTE]