Beginners advice to a (reluctant) IPAD newbie

blaster9999

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My wife has aquired a 3g IPAD3 and now dumped it on me and told "me to sort it out".

What should I check to make sure it working ?
Are their basic app which are must haves.
tutorials ? are the "how to" vids floating about ? I'd rather give her a fist full of links, than become her Ipad "guru".

In other words what are the common pitfalls ? And what things should I be doing? If I sound confused, its because I've no real idea what too do with one (well what it does better than a laptop anyway).

Last edited:
My wife has aquired a 3g IPAD3 and now dumped it on me and told "me to sort it out".

tutorials ? are the "how to" vids floating about ? I'd rather give her a fist full of links, than become her Ipad "guru".

In other words what are the common pitfalls ? And what things should I be doing? If I sound confused, its because I've no real idea what too do with one (well what it does better than a laptop anyway).

Sell it and keep your laptop.

Sell it and keep your laptop.
The OP has been instructed by his wife to "sort it" for her; that is how I am reading it
Is this a new purchase or a second hand iPad? If not already done, then install the latest version of iTunes and create an iTunes account [for your wife]. Once performed, connect the iPad via usb to your computer. The iPad should be detected. You may choose to restore the iPad and start afresh. Install latest software... then disconnect. Ignore if already performed.

Then explore. Would begin with the pre-installed apps first: What Apps Come With the iPad? - iPad FAQ

Your post does initially look like a wind up, so please forgive some of the comments.

In most peoples experience, and iPad is one of the simplest devices to learn to use, and it requires little or no maintenance.

For the basics, try http://help.apple.com/ipad/guide/

What problems was she having exactly?

The OP has been instructed by his wife to "sort it" for her; that is how I am reading it

Is this a new purchase or a second hand iPad? If not already done, then install the latest version of iTunes and create an iTunes account [for your wife]. Once performed, connect the iPad via usb to your computer. The iPad should be detected. You may choose to restore the iPad and start afresh. Install latest software... then disconnect. Ignore if already performed.

Then explore. Would begin with the pre-installed apps first: What Apps Come With the iPad? - iPad FAQ

It's new, apparently the nice chappie in the apple store did everything., but what that was she doesn't know. Its only by q and a her and finding bits by google that I found out about the 150 page manual.

As for itunes my last real extended experience of it was several years ago. Really did not like it. Really is there no way of avoiding sticking itunes on my pc to get her ipad sorted. My son already has an iphone and ipod. As I understand it up to three devices can be tied to each itunes account?

edit; sees our home wifi netwrk, but wil let it join. (yet happy with our other devices ) The password is correct ?

Last edited:
It's new, apparently the nice chappie in the apple store did everything., but what that was she doesn't know. Its only by q and a her and finding bits by google that I found out about the 150 page manual.

As for itunes my last real extended experience of it was several years ago. Really did not like it. Really is there no way of avoiding sticking itunes on my pc to get her ipad sorted. My son already has an iphone and ipod. As I understand it up to three devices can be tied to each itunes account?

edit; sees our home wifi netwrk, but wil let it join. (yet happy with our other devices ) The password is correct ?

No, you don't need to use iTunes. As soon as it sees your wifi network (there's no good reason why it wouldn't work) you can login with the Apple ID you use on other devices, and away you go.

iTunes really is not that bad at all. It is just the nature of the beast if you are on Windows there are endless configuration possibilities so you cannot expect things to go flawlessly. Have never had an issue with iTunes on OSX or Windows. No you do not ever need to connect an Apple device to a computer. Just setup iCloud on the iPad for backups

I showed your answer to my wife and well I can't repeat what she said :blush:

Really are the any useful answers ?

Ha ha. Its a tough one to help out with really, I reckon you may be the first person to ever ask how to use an iPad! It really is a case of just picking it up and using it. But the very basics are...

1. turn it on and connect to your network
2. Set up an itunes account
3. Start downloading apps (there are no must haves, it depends on how you want to use it. I download music making apps cos thats how I primarily use mine. It really depends on what you want to do with it.)
4. Enjoy

It really is that simple. My 2 year old uses mine regularly!! :thumbsup:

iTunes really is not that bad at all. It is just the nature of the beast if you are on Windows there are endless configuration possibilities so you cannot expect things to go flawlessly. Have never had an issue with iTunes on OSX or Windows. No you do not ever need to connect an Apple device to a computer. Just setup iCloud on the iPad for backups

I'm with you on this, I've been baffled for years as to why people can't use itunes. Plug iphone/ipad in, drag music, done. I think the problem people have is that their music isn't tagged properly. I can see it being problematic then.

I'm with you on this, I've been baffled for years as to why people can't use itunes. Plug iphone/ipad in, drag music, done. I think the problem people have is that their music isn't tagged properly. I can see it being problematic then.

I accept its prob' moved on since I last used it, really I can't be asked :). I the idea of having to learn to use another chunk of software, which I will ony be called to use when things go wrong :thumbsdow. (Eps when I have an apple fanboy son, who actually went to "help" her buy it and then ran off dumping this in my lap, I can just picture the scene "Nah don't need more than 16 gig," "Yeah get the 3g one", thank you very much :rolleyes: )

A couple of quick questions about buying from the app store? I take it purchases are linked to the account. Does that mean I will be able to swop out apps? Are downloads limited either in number or time?
without extra charges? What about newstand subs? Will game centre log your progress, or will deleating from the the device cause achivements to be lost?

How many devices can be linked to each account ?

Ha ha. Its a tough one to help out with really, I reckon you may be the first person to ever ask how to use an iPad! It really is a case of just picking it up and using it. But the very basics are...

1. turn it on and connect to your network
2. Set up an itunes account
3. Start downloading apps (there are no must haves, it depends on how you want to use it. I download music making apps cos thats how I primarily use mine. It really depends on what you want to do with it.)
4. Enjoy

It really is that simple. My 2 year old uses mine regularly!! :thumbsup:

1) took more than hour just would not let me log on
2) Easy enough but the nice chappie in the shop set it up, so wife didn't know the password.the screen shot of the page see had taken had the log in box but sans password My son gave me the wrong passwords when I finally caught up with him.
3)Easy enough, but see answer1 and 2
4) Ownership has been a some what dubious pleasure so far, but its possible.

As for your last sentence Humm, how to answer without ending up in the Family Division. I do love her to bits but not so many years ago wifey demand to have an Iphone. Why I said, just because she said, But she insisted, she only wanted one of the non touch screen ones. :facepalm:

Last edited:
A couple of quick questions about buying from the app store?

1 I take it purchases are linked to the account.
2 Does that mean I will be able to swop out apps?
3 Are downloads limited either in number or time? without extra charges?
4 What about newstand subs?
5 Will game centre log your progress, or will deleating from the the device cause achivements to be lost?
6 How many devices can be linked to each account ?
1 Yes
2 Yes, you can delete apps from any device
3 You can re-download an app as many times as you like after purchase
4 Don't know
5 Game center info is saved in the Cloud, I think
6 At least 3 devices allowed, I have an iPhone and 2 iPads, plus a PC or two

Just a note about the game centre question - If you delete a game which uses game centre you will get a pop up asking if you wish to save the information in game centre or delete it. Note though it does not save game saves/progresses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom