Beginners advice required on NAS and streamers please

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Triggaaar, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Having just bought a 1080p projector (Benq W1070) I though I was going to buy a Blu-ray player. But one of these streamers looks more up my street. So I'm reading this forum, trying to learn about the WD Live, Mede8er, Dune and PCH models. Some include BD players, which is handy.

Some include HDDs - do these allow you the choice of streaming from a separate machine (NAS) or from the on board HDD? I presume some don't include an HDD, and require a NAS.

NAS: Can I just use my standard PC for this job? It's connected to my router via cat5e (happy to have it on when using the tv), as the new box will be.

Have I got the gist of this right, or am I missing something?

Thanks

2. planthead

planthead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The wd tv live, and others., Will act as a nas on your network, with the live you can attach a hard drive or it will stream from your PC.

It's better to use an attached drive, and pass the files from your PC, the drives can be hidden away on long USB cables if need be.

Use wd link, a programme from wd. to set it up.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Attaching an HD sounds good. The whole lot sits in a cupboard anyway, so I'm not bothered how it looks.

I'm more interested in the offerings from Dune etc, as I get the impression they're higher quality, which I might appreciate on a 100" screen.

Whatever I get, I need old fashioned 5.1 digital output (DTS or DD, coax or optical).

4. mr. shr

mr. shr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've tried streaming videos from my NAS to a blu ray player but not had any success. Reading the forums it does seem a bit hit and miss as to whether you can stream from a NAS. Some can do it, some can't.
    I'm in the "can't" camp!!

So I'm probably going down the streamer route. (Unless someone can explain how to make a NAS stream movies to blu ray player??)