1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners advice really...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mike261272, Mar 24, 2005.

1. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, having bought a Yamaha DSP-750 amp I have added to it some Monitor Audio Bronze speakers. The front B2's, the Back B1's and the centre. Sounds lovely when playing audio guitar for example. However its not a patch on my mates ready-made sony surround kit when playing films as his gives those deep booming voices and action scenes much more power with (I am assuming) the fact that he has a subwoofer. Ive looked at Monitor Audio's site and they reocmmend the AW100 however on google it seems really difficult to find this for sale in the shops here in the UK. Should I be looking at this or is there another Woofer around the 200 pound mark I should be after ?

Advance apologies for asking such a basic question on this obviously very technical site!

Thanks

mike

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    U need a sub mate for sure if your playing movies on this system. and with one your system should blow any sony system out of the water. if your budget is £200 I would recomend the following:

Mordaunt short ms-309 £220
    BK XLS200 £279

both offer great value I have heard both I found the MS very musical and fast but the BK had more depth for movies.

or if you want a really really good sub import an svs from the usa they ship door to door and the max you will pay is around £400 with all import tax etc. this subs are breathtaking and will compete with the best upto £1000!!!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For slightly over your budget I would recommend either the Mordaunt Short MS309 or else the Velodyne CHT8 or CHT10 that are currently being sold at heavily discounted prices in a forum powerbuy that you should be able to locate by clicking on the links at the top of the subwoofer forum.

4. mike261272

mike261272

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys..

5. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Remember to budget for a decent dedicated subwoofer cable as well, no need to spend silly money but the difference is worth a moderate outlay IMHO.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Have a look in the cable forums for Mark Grants sub cable as its superb quality at :beer: money

I also agree with what phillfyspoonsaid about the 2 subs and about importing from SVS.

Also worth checking out is the Ruark vita 100 on special offer from www.bkelec.com for £199:95 instead of £500:smashin: