Beginner - which setup to choose for £1K?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jalapeno, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I after some advice just to point me in the right direction......

I want to get rid of my very average technics 5.1 DVD/Hifi system and replace it with a good AV Receiver, DVD Player (to be also used for CDs) and 5.1 or 7.1 speakers. I have no definite maximum budget but I am looking to try to keep it to £1000.

Can anybody suggest 3 components that work well together for both Hifi and movie usage? I think the moive sound quality is slightly higher priority than hifi sound. My mate has a Denon AVR-1905 receiver with a 7.1 Tannoy speaker set up and this sounds very good to me. Is it possible to get a DVD player for £150 or less which is also good at playing CD's? I don't need anything amazing, but I do want something that is very good if that is helpful at all! :)

I only have a 28" Panasonic CRT tellie at the moment, so to start with I will have to use RGB scart. A receiver with HDMI sounds like a good future proof bet though.

Deciding on a receiver sounds quite easy. e.g. Denon, Sony, Marantz, Onkyo for £250 - £400. Choosing speakers is not so easy! For this budget does it matter much what you go for?

BTW: Is it possible to buy AV Receivers that have DAB, not FM tuners?

I have read that AV Receivers and 5.1 speaker packages are not very good for hifi usage. Is this true? I have also heard that they are good enough for most people. You have to be really in to it notice a huge difference.

Thanks any help!