1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner - What Accesories am I missing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by hawksa, Aug 31, 2005.

1. hawksa

hawksa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just about to put my order in a Sony DCR-HC90 (my first camcorder). I have come up with a list of other bits and pieces that I will need but am I missing anything obvious or that others found really useful?

Camera Bag
    Spare Battery
    Battery Charger
    MiniDV Tapes
    256 Mb Memory Stick

New Harddisk (Already got)
    DVD Writer (Already got)
    Pinnacle 9 DV (the one that includes the firewire bits)

2. Cam Korda

Cam Korda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a beginner too. I also got a UV Filter (can leave this on to protect the main lens).

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    This IMO is a very important bit of protection. A replacement filter at £10-£20 is far cheaper to replace than a new lens for the camcorder :eek:

I think your list covers all the requirements, but a tripod may well come in useful. You will however need to spend a fair amount on it as you need a fluid head on the tripod to get smooth pans etc and these don't come that cheap :(

Pinnacle Studio 9 may be worth passing up (see loads of posts here on how it keeps crashing :rolleyes: ) and getting a separate firewire card & cable (<£20) and then another editing package such as Ulead Video Studio, Sony Vegus Studio etc. All of these programs can be downloaded for a free 30 day trial. They all also include DVD authoring features. Or perhaps use the free Movie Maker 2 that is part of the XP OS with SP2 and then just get a dedicated DVD authoring program such as Ulead DVD MovieFactory for around £30.

Mark.

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with all that Mark says.

Can I ask why you're thinking of buying a memory stick? If you've already got a digital camera, you really won't be using your camcorder to take still photos. And if you haven't got a digital camera, then, IMO, you'd be better off putting the money you're going to spend on the memory stick, towards one!

5. hawksa

hawksa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All fair points. Thanks everyone.

I have now decided the following;

1) I will get Ulead software instead of Pinnacle.
    2) I will get a separate firewire card and lead (anyone got any web links?)
    3) I will get a UV filter (anyone got any web links?)
    4) I will not bother with the memory stick and use my digital camera instead!
    5) I will get my wife to get me a tripod for Christmas!

6. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Could I suggest that, before finally deciding on ULead (not that there's anything wrong with it), you download demos of both Ulead and Sony's programs. They won't cost you anything and that way you can see which one you feel most comfortable with.

7. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I recommend that you buy a Skylight 1A as opposed to a UV, does the same job as a UV but allows UV light to pass through, this kills mould that may otherwise accrue in your lens.

A second useful filter would be a circular polariser in fact Jessops do a kit comprising of a skylight, circular polariser and a nuetral density filter for not a lot.

I would also wholeheartedly recommend Adobe Premiere Elements, again a free trial is availbale on line from Adobe. As budget packages go, this is a beaut.

8. Greenbag

Greenbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree entirely with Roy about Adobe Premier Elements, it will allow you to edit to your hearts content, apply effects and then burn out to DVD. You can pick it and Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 up for around £100 at Jessops. I would also use a pair of headphones if your camera has this ability especially when recording important events and monitoring noise like wind levels or traffic. It incredible how much our brains filter out this noise but the camera mic doesn't.

9. letuongthuy2000

letuongthuy2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got a Sony TRV22E, and want to know what size of lens filter that fits my camcorder? Is there any difference between UV filter and skylight lens filter? What would you think I should get, a lens filter or an UV filter? And where can I find a filter with a good price?
    If I want to put the filter permanently on the camcorder, would I need to get a skylight filter? Can I put a UV filter pemanently to cover the lens?

found two from amazon:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/026-1573343-7503629
    and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/026-1573343-7503629

What's the difference between HR and HTMC? Which one should I choose?
    Thanks