Beginner setup question (Spotify)

ADAIRP83

Novice Member
Apologies if you get lots of similar posts but I will at least try to be specific.

I am in the process of building a starter hifi setup. I have acquired some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and am about to purchase a NAD D 3020 V2 amp. I will primarily be using Spotify through my phone (iPhone X) with ambitions to buy a turntable.

My question is which input method from my phone to the amp will give me the best quality audio? I’m not all too worried about convenience of streaming from my phone as having it wired to one of the inputs would be no big deal.

I do have an old Apple TV 3 laying around and a 2013 iMac.

Everything I have read has me confused. It seems the Bluetooth AptX that is a feature of the NAD amp isn’t supported by the iPhone X and there’s also the complication of the lightening adapter on the phone because it doesn’t have an 3.5mm headphone jack.

I’m almost certainly overthinking this but would like to know which input in theory has the best sound quality.

Thanks in advance

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Although the iPhone doesn't support AptX it will talk to the amp at standard bluetooth protocol, just not as high quality as AptX. Better quality would be Airplay to the Apple TV assuming it can be connected to the amp. Hopefully someone with more Apple knowledge than I possess will chip in. But it may make more sense to consider another amp with Spotify Connect built in. as you will then only use the phone to send the stream address to the amp & not drain the battery by streaming on the phone or powering bluetooth/Airplay.

acgingersnaps

You could just get a chromecast audio and plug it into the amp. It's a very cheap way to stream wirelessly.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
I would try connecting the Apple Tv to the Nad via the optical output as a first step. This should provide the best quality for spotify AFAIK.

ADAIRP83

Novice Member
So having a wired connection from my phone to the amp isn't preferable then?

I suppose I am open to suggestions for a different amp. I have roughly a £400 budget and as stated above I have Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers and aspirations to add a turntable at some point.

acgingersnaps

CCA's more than good enough for spotify.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Yamaha RN602 would be within budget, has Spotify Connect & a Phono input. No idea of it would pair with the speakers so you'd need to audition, preferably at home. Or look at the Apple TV.

They're more than good enough for spotify.
Unless budget is the only concern I can't think of a single reason to deliberately reduce sound quality.

acgingersnaps

Yamaha RN602 would be within budget, has Spotify Connect & a Phono input. No idea of it would pair with the speakers so you'd need to audition, preferably at home. Or look at the Apple TV.

Unless budget is the only concern I can't think of a single reason to deliberately reduce sound quality.
It's just a good budget conscious option.
Good suggestion re the Yamaha. As you say, very good feature set.

Ascotbilly

My previous amp was the RN602, when I first got it I paired it with a pair of old Mission M70 bookshelf speakers, sounded so good that I never changed the speakers.

ADAIRP83

Novice Member
I think I'm interested in the Yamaha now. It is massive though. Would the connectivity dongle be an issue in an enclosed cabinet?

like this

ADAIRP83

Novice Member
Thanks for your replies. So just to clarify...

If I purchase the Yamaha R-N602 what is the best route to get the full 320 kbps out of spotify?

Im guessing that the amp will show on the spotify app and after selecting the device the files will be played at source at the 320 kbps?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Yes, assuming you have a Premium account all you need is to ensure that Music Quality is set to Very High on the app.

acgingersnaps

OK thank you. Im now going down the rabbit hole of reading about these others streaming services :eek:
Yes. The selection on spotify is excellent, but quality is much higher elsewhere.