Beginner set up Wharfedale 9.1

Mike1911

Standard Member
Hi, i've been searching around and was just after some confirmation really. I'm wanting some speakers for house/techno, mainly just for me in my room but then also in the background if a few mates are over. I've got a budget of up to roughly £200. I wondered if the wharfedale 9.1s would be good for this? Also i need an amp, but don't even know where to start on that one.
Cheers,
Mike

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
In all honesty, I think you need another £100 or close to it in your budget.

The Diamond 9.1 are decent speakers and currently available for a very low price (£99/pr at Superfi). As 5" bookshelf speakers go, and especially in a small room, they should sound great. I don't think anything can beat them for the price.

As to amps, they need to be in the just barely £150 up to about £180. However if you can still find it, the Yamaha AS500 for about £230 with 85w/ch simply can't be beat for the money.

Here are a selection of amps that could meet your needs. They range from 45w/ch up to about 85w/ch

Denon PMA-520, 45w/ch, £149 -

Superfi - DENON PMA520AE AMPLIFIER

Marantz PM5004, 40w/ch, £154 -

Superfi - MARANTZ PM5004 AMPLIFIER

Yamaha AS300, 60w/ch, £169 (probably the best bargain) -

Superfi - YAMAHA AS300 AMPLIFIER

Denon PMA-720, 50w/ch, £199 (originally £350) -

Superfi - DENON PMA720AE AMPLIFIER

Yamaha AS500, 85w/ch, £227 (most power in a good amp) -

Superfi - YAMAHA AS500 AMPLIFIER

In speakers at about £100/pr, the only other quality speaker that comes to mind is the -

Tannoy Mercury V1, 5" woofer, 45hz, £95/pr -

Superfi - TANNOY MERCURY V1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Monitor Audio Bronze BX1, 5.5" woofer, 55hz, £199/pr -

Superfi - MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX1 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

All these are extremely common products, and available from many sources, it pays to shop around.

Some are well over you budget, but are still worth looking at.

Though over budget, the Diamond 10.1 from AVBristol are £149/pr -

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Bookshelf Speakers

Again, pushing your budget in the extreme, also from AVBristol, the Diamond 10.3 floorstanding with 1x 5" bass driver are £179/pr. The Diamond 10.4 with 2x 5" bass drivers are about £249/pr.

Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 Floorstanding Speakers

Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 Floorstanding Speakers

That should at least give you some framework to get you started.

Steve/bluewizard

Mike1911

Standard Member
Thankyou so much for the help BlueWizard! I'll have a search around to see what prices I can get for those amps.... I thought it might be the case that the amp would ruin my poor student bank! The only other thing I was unsure of is whether there's any cheaper alternatives to those amps such as a t-amp or is that completely the wrong thing?
Thanks again,
Mike

Riyazi

Just would like to say that I can highly recommend the 10.1s and they could be had for £100 at some RicherSounds stores as they are on clearance at the moment. Also, since yours is going to be a 2.0 setup think you might benefit from the higher spec 10.4s as indicated by Steve (but benefit might depend on your choice of amp). There is a pair of used 10.4s in great condition being sold by a forum member on the bay which you could have for just about £200.

Mike1911

Standard Member
Cheers Riyazi - i'm back in Manchester next week so will pop in store and see if i can grab hold of some 10.1s from clearance or even 9.1s. I've only got a small room in a shared university house so no room for the 10.3/10.4 unfortunately! Slightly out of budget too, was hoping to spend £200 all in for amp and speakers but i guess that's looking unrealistic.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom