Beginner Record player

tooley1878

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just ditched am all in one suitcase record player and I'm on the look out for a new one under £150 ?

I have bought myself some Edifier R1280Ts so just the turntable I need now...

Any recommendations?

Mark

If you are happy with second hand then keep an eye on this, you may be lucky. Its in Altrincham so not a million miles away to collect, just a trip down the M56. £150 is barely enough to get a decent turntable new, as stated this is a £300 turntable when new.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Something similar to the Audio Technica AT-LP60X should do the job, its got a built-in Phono stage which should be fine for your powered speakers. If you choose something like the Pro-Ject Primary E, then you will require a phono stage between the speakers and turntable. Hope that give you an idea or two

Hi,

Obviously, there is a large selection of pre-owned ("used") ones on places like Ebay. If you are keen to buy a new item, it may be worth trying this one at £149 (new):

It's not a big name "audiophile" brand, but I owned a slightly higher model TEAC turntable (£320) for several months and it was actually rather good. This one has an MDF chassis, a built in MM phono stage (so you can use this with your active Edifier speakers), and the option to upgrade the phono cartridge, which many cheaper decks will not allow. The reviews on RS seem quite positive also.

If you can find a cheap phono pre-amp somewhere, possibly used on Ebay, then you can get a refurbished Project Primary E from Peter Tyson for £159.

They also have some slightly higher spec Project turntables with built-in phono preamps for £210, if you budget can go a little higher.

Hope that helps. My advice would not be to go too cheap, nor to buy anything on Ebay that is very old or that seems "too good to be true", as this can potentially lead to disappointment and lost cash. I speak from experience.

Kind regards...

Hi,

Obviously, there is a large selection of pre-owned ("used") ones on places like Ebay. If you are keen to buy a new item, it may be worth trying this one at £149 (new):

It's not a big name "audiophile" brand, but I owned a slightly higher model TEAC turntable (£320) for several months and it was actually rather good. This one has an MDF chassis, a built in MM phono stage (so you can use this with your active Edifier speakers), and the option to upgrade the phono cartridge, which many cheaper decks will not allow. The reviews on RS seem quite positive also.

If you can find a cheap phono pre-amp somewhere, possibly used on Ebay, then you can get a refurbished Project Primary E from Peter Tyson for £159.

They also have some slightly higher spec Project turntables with built-in phono preamps for £210, if you budget can go a little higher.

Hope that helps. My advice would not be to go too cheap, nor to buy anything on Ebay that is very old or that seems "too good to be true", as this can potentially lead to disappointment and lost cash. I speak from experience.

Kind regards...
Agreed and as the cartridge is likely to be battered so will your records ! It’s a tough call buying a used TT unless you know the seller.
I’d go with the advice above re the Primary e from PT.

I was going to suggest the Audio Technica LP3, but it seems to have gone up in price (I paid around £130) since when I had one....though if you can up your budget get a Rega Planar 1 (you will need a pre-amp) or Rega Planar Plus 1 (no pre amp required).

@tooley1878 - you didn’t say if you have a record collection at present ? If you have, saving some additional £ for the above suggestion of the Rega RP1 ??

Thanks All, yes I have a record collection..

I originally was thinking of the LP60 or the Lenco L85.. just to get me going.. I can probably up the budget to £200 without telling the wife

I hadn't even considered them needing a separate Pre amp !

It seems to me, that at the HiFi entry level, a small increase in cost can often bring a large difference in sound, style, and versatility. An increase of £50 to the £150 TEAC buys you a lot more than the LP60 can offer. Go up to £210 for refurbed Project T1 and its another sizeable increase. Eventually the law of diminishing returns kicks in, but at this level, even a small increase can give you spades for your cash. Ultimately though, you need something that fits your budget. Good luck. Let us know how you got on :)

@tooley1878 - Have a look at this Teac well in budget

Update - apologies also listed above

Last edited:
Hi,

I'll just start by confessing that I have not personally heard any of these 3 turntables. From the specs, and my experience with a slightly higher model of TEAC turntable, I would lean toward the TEAC myself. At £125 new, it seems like a bargain. Spend a little more, and you will get more, but if this is within your budget and if its weighed up against the LP60, I would choose this one myself.

Hope that helps...

Hi,

I'll just start by confessing that I have not personally heard any of these 3 turntables. From the specs, and my experience with a slightly higher model of TEAC turntable, I would lean toward the TEAC myself. At £125 new, it seems like a bargain. Spend a little more, and you will get more, but if this is within your budget and if its weighed up against the LP60, I would choose this one myself.

Hope that helps...
Thank you !

Note the Project Essential III I listed went for £140 as a second hand comparison, this is a £300 turntable new for info.

I did...got the Teac.. not coming for 2 weeks.. is that a better unit?
Probably easier to upgrade than the Teac if that is a road you go down.

It's a good budget turntable, and is well made, not sure if it will offer a better experience then what you have ordered though.

Ahhhh don't know what to do now! I can deffo cancel the other like
I know you had a limited budget, but have you considered getting a turntable on finance.

You could get a Rega Planar 1 on finance spread over 12 months on 0% interest, trust me that would be an upgrade on those models.

At the moment I think it would have to be between the one you suggested or the Teac

I guess you should ask yourself if you are going to want to upgrade from the system you are buying if you are then the 2nd hand route may be beneficial for now as you may be able to get most of your money back on reselling the Teac.

Please note, the link to the Audio Technica lists this item as "Grade 3" (i.e. damaged). I quote:

"Missing 45 RPM, may have minor marks, original packaging may be marked / damaged. All accessories and full warranty included."

Basically, it has poor resale value if you want to sell and upgrade later. I personally would avoid it.

Please note, the link to the Audio Technica lists this item as "Grade 3" (i.e. damaged). I quote:

"Missing 45 RPM, may have minor marks, original packaging may be marked / damaged. All accessories and full warranty included."

Basically, it has poor resale value if you want to sell and upgrade later. I personally would avoid it.
Good point I didn't notice that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom