Beginner Question - Subwoofer for Sony STR-DH190 ?

darijames

Novice Member
Hey,

I have recently purchased a Sony STR-DH190 receiver to go with some Monitor 50 Bookshelf speakers that were gifted to me by a friend. I am trying to work out how and if I can connect a subwoofer to the system also, Ive read about high level subwoofer connections but as Im new to this its all going in one and out the other.

The question is can I connect a sub to this system and how do I connect it, in layman's terms.

Also any recommendations for subs would be welcome!

Thanks!

Pictures of current Amp & Speakers attached

Attachments

• 51XJ7wAROKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    51XJ7wAROKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 135
  • monitor_audio_monitor-50_white_back_left.jpg
    monitor_audio_monitor-50_white_back_left.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 91

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Yep, very simple to do, but as you suggest, you will need a sub with high level inputs. Something like this: Polk Audio PSW10e (Black) will do you very nicely.

In terms of connection and setup, you could connect it to your "B" outputs on your amplifier or wire the Monitor Audio speakers through the sub using the input and output connections. It will make no difference to the sound. To set up, plug it all together and put on a bit of music you know well. Set the crossover to about 80Hz to start off with, but be prepared to turn this to 120Hz or more if you feel there's a gap in the response between the sub and main speakers. Steadily turn up the volume on the sub until you can feel it adding some weight to the music and then back it off until you can no longer hear it. If you now turn the sub off, you will suddenly realise how much it is actually doing, but is well integrated.

Leave the phase switch at 0 degrees and just tweak the crossover to give you a full sound without boominess. If you have it set too high, the sub and speakers will both be outputting the same frequencies and this might make things a bit muddled.

Worth playing with position as well. Moving it a few feet can really change how it sounds in the room!

darijames

Novice Member
Yep, very simple to do, but as you suggest, you will need a sub with high level inputs. Something like this: Polk Audio PSW10e (Black) will do you very nicely.

In terms of connection and setup, you could connect it to your "B" outputs on your amplifier or wire the Monitor Audio speakers through the sub using the input and output connections. It will make no difference to the sound. To set up, plug it all together and put on a bit of music you know well. Set the crossover to about 80Hz to start off with, but be prepared to turn this to 120Hz or more if you feel there's a gap in the response between the sub and main speakers. Steadily turn up the volume on the sub until you can feel it adding some weight to the music and then back it off until you can no longer hear it. If you now turn the sub off, you will suddenly realise how much it is actually doing, but is well integrated.

Leave the phase switch at 0 degrees and just tweak the crossover to give you a full sound without boominess. If you have it set too high, the sub and speakers will both be outputting the same frequencies and this might make things a bit muddled.

Worth playing with position as well. Moving it a few feet can really change how it sounds in the room!
Amazing, thank you very much! saved me a lot of research. I was looking at the Polk also - think I will go with that one :)

Thanks again !!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom