1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner Question - Sonic Stage?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by redbiker, Jun 30, 2005.

1. redbiker

redbiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm new, so please be gentle with me! :D

I'm just about to take the plunge and get an MP3 player.
    Top of the list is the 20Gb Sony HD5.

One thing that's bothering me with his (and any alternative player I might choose) is this...

I've only got a fairly small hard drive on my home laptop pc (30Gb) and I don't really want to increase the size of this if possible. Do I have to have copies of all the music on my MP3 device on the laptop too? Or can I just delete the files once they are uploaded onto the player? Do programs like Sonic Stage/ I-Tunes etc insist on synching the files, or can I just uploads tunes to directories on the player as though it were just an external drive?

Also, I see that Sony advertise that the HD5 can be used as an external drive. Does anyone know if it's possible to get a card reader that can read photographs from a compact flash card onto the HD5? I realise I can't view the pictures on that player, but it would be useful as a storage device when I'm out and about with my digital camera.

Thanks in advance! :)

2. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Windows XP recognises the HD5 as an USB hard drive, it will appear as a drive in your My Computer window when connected.

You can store whatever you like on it.

Any music you wish to play on the HD5 MUST be uploaded with sonic stage, but once it's on the player you can delete the original files from your PC.

I would advocate keeping a backup somewhere though, replacing 20GB of mp3 is a pain if your player is stolen.

3. redbiker

redbiker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

Yep I agree, I should backup the MP3 files to cd/dvd before I delete them, I just don't want to clog up the whole of the hard drive.

I think (all though I might have imagined it) I've seen a card reader that plugs directly into an Ipod. If a similar device was available for the HD5 it would mean I could save pictures to it from the camera card on the go without having to have the laptop with me. Having 20Gigs of storage in your pocket would be very useful indeed.

Other than the infamous "button cracking" problems is there any other reason why I shouldn't go for the HD5??

4. DrillSgt

DrillSgt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, which is still only about a week, the only complaint I have is the Sonicstage software performs very badly.

It's crashed several times on me, but I guess I'm still learning how to use it.

I've never used an Ipod, but if you look through the forums, there's at least one thread running on which device is better.

I have an HD5HS, and as yet, no cracks!

I've seen a device on the market which will automatically suck data off one USB device and transfer it to another, but I'm afraid it's name escapes me.