1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

beginner question on fs2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dfield2000, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm trying to decide whether to go for the fs2 or wait for the fs1. I've read many of the threads on the various set up options for the fs2's, but I noticed somewhere that someone said that the sub on the fs1 had a built in amp and the fs2 didn't. I presume this is what is meant by passive / active subs ? Looking at my manual for my Sony 940 it looks like there is only a connection for a active sub. Does this mean that you can't connect a passive sub to the amp ? Does this also mean that connecting the fs1 to my amp means that the power to drive all the sat speakers comes from the amp in the sub ? If this is the case does it mean that the 100w per channel of power generated by the amp is wasted ?

2. Tides2002

Tides2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The FS2 sub does have an amplifier built into it so is indeed active. The sub’s amp is only mono and drives the sub but not the satellites.:)

3. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for that - but still two things I don't understand - I believe that the sat speakers are connected to the sub, so if the amp is just connected to the sub via the sub output where does the signal come from for the sats ? Also, does this mean my amp can't power an passive sub, ie, the fs2's, without a separate amp ?

Appologies if I'm being a thickie here, I'm just trying to make sure that I understand it fully before parting with my cash

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Hi

A passive sub has no built in amplifier, you would connect it to the speaker terminals of your amplifier which then powers it.

Bass is difficult to drive so most subs are now powered by their own built-in amps and you connect them to the sub-out on your amp/receiver.

Most sub/sat packages have the sub connected to the amp via the sub out socket and all the satellite speakers are connected to the relevant speaker terminals of the amp. The amp then drives those directly.

Some packs, like the FS2, have the sat speakers connected to the sub which is connected to the amp. The sats are´nt connected directly to the amp as such. As far as I know the FS2 sub is active.

Have a look here:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/SpeakerPackages/Mission/MissionFS2-AV.shtml

5. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The FS-2's sub is active with about 55w RMS amplification (according to the website, and whatever the hell that means), this drives the SW only.

With the FS-2 you get an 'umbilical cord' cable that connects the sub to your amp and has ends for the 5 sets of speaker posts and the Sub-out. This fits to the Sub which then sorts out the feeds to the satelites.

As the Missions run at a higher range than most ofther speakers (about 230hz I think) then the sub handles more of the lower end sound for them, once its setup OK though it sounds pretty sweet.

The FS-1 is to fit below the level of the FS-2 apparently although info is still a bit sketchy on it, although you do require and Amp with both systems.

6. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks everyone - I think I've got it now.

I seem to remember reading on a thread that the amp for the fs1 sub was 150w, which suggests its better that the fs2 if its 55w as you say. I just can't decide which one to go for. I suppose I'll have to wait for it to be reviewed.

cheers.

7. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are numerous standards for wattage out put RMS, Peak music and too many others. I havn't got a clue what they all are so I cant comment for sure. I remember somewhere someone telling my the FS-2 actually had a 150w amp depending on what measurement you were using so it could be beter than the FS-1.

I think there was a thread on here the other day with a link to a site that gave some info on it and it said that the FS-1 was baing aimed just below the FS-2 series.

More research needed methinks :D

8. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I posted a new thread yesterday with details of the FS1 package from Mission themselves:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41662

I would say that the FS-1 looks better, and in Mission's own words...has a larger sub, so the base performance "may" be better. But the system is less flexible when thinking about 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1.

I chose to sticj with the FS-2's to go along with my Denon AVR-3802 which I ordered yesterday.

If I had a crystal ball, i reckon in less than 12 months time we will begin hearing about FS3's..............