Beginner needs advice for my layout please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by happyhero, Feb 24, 2013.

1. happyhero

happyhero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am quite good with anything technical, tv, pc’s etc but a real amateur with projectors so need you guys to bring me up to speed. Basically I am redoing our bedroom and want to make it appear that we do not have a TV as there is no room in our plans, so we thought lets put in a projector and screen. We fancy a motorised remote control screen and we love a big picture although quality is fairly important so we do not want to sacrifice quality for size.

Because it is the bedroom and it will not be where we watch television the most, I do not need it to be absolutely fantastic but we would like a fairly high quality picture, preferably able to cope in daylight hours with the curtains open if possible. I fancy features if possible, they are not important but more for fun i.e. if it has 3D for example. I use Freeview occasionally so I don’t know if projectors have this or not but wouldn’t mind having it – I basically do not know how close projectors can resemble the new Led smart Tv’s with Freeview, 3D and other features built in, obviously i would love it to have everything the TV’s have if possible.

I would like reasonable sound but again do not really need it too special as it is for the bedroom. Do any come with reasonable sound or can I plug a couple of speakers into them without amplifiers and such like ( I am thinking if we want to watch something late at night and the kids are in bed we don’t want to have it blaring over our heads to hear it so possibly we could have a couple of speakers low down, we don’t need surround sound etc for the bedroom)?

I would like the screen to be as small as possible against the ceiling when closed within reason so as to be not so noticeable when closed. What screens are best?

I was thinking of putting a shelf up near the ceiling so that the projector hides up there basically over our heads when in bed. I have seen this layout before, but sorry amateur question, if the projector projects from a level that is level with the top of the screen does this not distort the picture, ie isn’t the ideal to be level with the centre which would be awkward for our bedroom? Or is there some clever way the projectors can deal with this or is it not noticeable?

I fancy having something up to date but not for silly money, so LED type for example.

I heard in the past that the projector bulbs only had a certain life and was incredibly expensive, can anyone update me on this situation now please?

I read stuff on the forums that talk about different coloured screens but do not really know what to make of this, should I be picking a certain colour for my situation?

My bedroom is 4.3m wide x 3.7m and the screen with wardrobes etc would only be 3m from the wall behind the projector, so what size picture should be able to get? And so what size screen should I get?

I have my Sky pumped through the whole house from the lounge via coaxial cable currently by the way, with magic eyes in every bedroom, probably seems crazy but we don't get many arguments over what we watch and who has control but then our kids are turning into teenagers soon.

I definitely do not want to spend thousands but prefer under a thousand as much as possible for the lot to get the right balance in price and quality, is that possible?

I’d really appreciate any advice or guidance as I am a little lost at the moment with what to look at as I see there is a massive choice.

2. happyhero

happyhero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why no answers, what have I done wrong????

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    You mentioned high quality image/daylight and curtains open in the same sentence so I guess that is the reason you got no response.:D

Get a tv.:)

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    If you have room for a PJ and a screen, then you certainly have room for a TV. Given your requirements (PQ, built-in features, not sacrificing PQ for size, needing curtains open etc) I would say you'd be daft to choose a PJ over a decent mid-range LED TV.

- I don't know of any projectors with built-in services (freeview, smart TV etc). They are not really designed with any assumption of it's use in mind.

- You will need to hook up your equipment to it, and a coax magic-eye from Sky is no good. You'll need to feed it from a source it can accept (HDMI/DVI/VGA/Component/Composite). This usually means you have to find space for certain kit nearby, unless you're prepared to spend on some very good, very long cables :)

- No projector is going to perform in a light room with curtains open in the day, and certainly not an LED PJ which have a much lower light output than a standard PJ.

- RE: bulb life - most quote a life of around 3000 hours which can be extended in "eco" modes (6000+ hrs). That's a few years for the average user. Bulbs cost on average £100-£300 to replace.