Beginner lumens question: Hitachi PJTX200W

spacemunkee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Right im set to buy myself the Hitachi PJTX200W

The only problem i can forsee is the lighting and lumens situation. Basically im going to be running the project in a room with three 50watt spotlights in the centre. One large window at the opposite end of room .. rough dimensions of the room are 15ft x 11ft. Im currently thinking of having the projector placed at the back wall or possibly on a small table beside the sofa, about 10ft from wall to project on. Now to get to the point how far would the 1200 lumens get me when it comes to lighting. I have taken a look on this site: http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/lumen-guide.asp and from what i can see im pretty much going to have to have curtains closed and lights off. When id prefer to have it running with lights dimmed or curtains open during the day. Would i be better off going for a higher lumen projector even if it sacrifices the contrast? Im look at spending around the £1000 mark on my project..currently found the hitachi going for £860 :eek: very tempting.

You need some sort of light control or any projector will look washed out.
If you can dim the spotlights and put a blind over the window then you'll find the TX100 to be a great machine.

spacemunkee said:
When id prefer to have it running with lights dimmed or curtains open during the day.

If that's how you want your ambient light, I would suggest that a projector possibly isn't the best solution for you. As cyberheater says, any kind of light will compromise the image quality. Having your curtains open will obliterate the image - you might even struggle to see an image at all.

spacemunkee said:
looks like ill have to rinse the money on a big tv screen :oops:

Or some nice thick curtains :D

I've got a Hitachi 32" 7200 LCD and a TX200 projector. My girlfriend refuses point blank to watch movies on the TV, because "it's rubbish now I'm used to the projector"!

Can't beat a projector for movies - it gives a wow factor you don't get with anything else - you just need it to be dark!

Your right.. wow factor is what its all about. Tv = stone age.. (ahem). Will i be able to run sky plus through this projector fine? just hit me.. i hadnt even thought about it

spacemunkee said:
Your right.. wow factor is what its all about. Tv = stone age.. (ahem). Will i be able to run sky plus through this projector fine? just hit me.. i hadnt even thought about it

Sky+ has s-vid out so no problem for the TX200.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom