1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner Interconnects Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Dave Wishart, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Dave Wishart

Dave Wishart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although I've read the main articles and threads I'm not 100% sure. I'd like some advise about how best to connect my old kit to my newly purchased Denon 2805 receiver.

The other kit I have is:-

Hitachi TV - 1 SCART + 1 S Video
    Sony Video - 2 x SCARTs + 1 S-Video
    Pioneer 656A DVD - Optical & Digital Audio, 2 Ch Audio, 5.1 Ch Audio, 2 x S-Video, 2 x SCART's, Component & Composite video.
    Grundig SKY Digibox 2 x SCART + 1 S Video + 2 Ch Audio.

My thoughts are to connect the Video, DVD and Sky box to the 2805 as follows:-

Video (SCART -> Component)
    DVD (Component -> Component for video and digital for audio)
    Sky Box (SCART -> Component)

I'd then connect the AV Receiver to the TV via the SCART connx.

My 2 qtns are:-

1. Is this OK or have I missed anything obvious ?
    2. Does it matter which of the digital outputs (optical or digital) I use ?

Thanks.

Dave

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The best way to connect your sources up is to connect them directly to the TV for picture and to the amp for sound.

I notice that the Pioneer 656 has two s-video connectors and wonder whether one of them is an input. If so you can connect the Sky box to the DVD player by s-video and that will be daisychained when the second s-video socket is connected to the TV.

The VCR scart on the sky box should be connected to the VCR in socket and the VCR out socket connected to the scart on the TV.

Connect the analogue audio out sockets on the Sky box and VCR to audio in sockets on the amp and the DVD player to the amp by either digital co-axial or optical lead - it doesn't matter which.

Just check in the manual first that the second s-video socket on the DVD player is an input.

3. Dave Wishart

Dave Wishart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Ian, the S-Video (and all the video/audio) connx on the DVD are out only. As I'm restricted on the TV inputs the only things I can think of are to use the SCART connections and a switch box (or S-Video connections and the AV receiver) as ways of selecting the alternate sources of video & Sky box. I know it's not ideal but in the absence of a display output that has 3 inputs. Thoughts anyone ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    S-video using amp will be OK going to Scart>componet is a no no on so may levels (scart is a cable component a video signal)