1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginner Help - Sahara AV1200

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lexeus, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,
    I have never had a projector before and am looking at buying a second hand Sahara AV1200. I want it to play films and probably games as well. The one I am looking at is second hand but in perfect condition and the price is about £300. Is that a good price ? I have seen them on sites for about £900 so I assume its ok ?

It only has a brightness of 1100 Lumens, do you think that would be ok for watching films etc ?
    I have yet to find a website for Sahara, does anyone know what the web address is ?

I would appreciate any and all advice on this :)
    As I said I dont have much knowledge of projectors so really need to know if I would just be wasting my money or if it would be fine for films etc. There is no chance of me spending more than the £300... So its either this or nothing ;)

Thanks for your time :)

EDIT:

Here are the details that I have been given:

The projector is a Sahara AV2100 is a LCD data projector the specs are as follows:

0.7" DLP
    Native XGA Resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels
    Maximum Compressed Resolution SXGA 1280 x 1024 pixels
    Aspect ratio: Native 4:3/16:9 compatible
    Throw distance 3.9 to 22.3 feet
    Lamp: 130W VIP
    Brightness: 1100 ANSI lumens
    Expected lamp life: 2000 hours (1975 hours left)
    Contrast ratio: 400 : 1
    Speakers: 0.5W x 1
    Power supply: AC220-240V 50/60Hz
    Power consumption: 180W
    DVI to RGB input via D-sub 15-pin adaptor cable - included
    Video Format: NTSC, PAL, SECAM
    Audio Input: Stereo mini jack x 1
    compatible with DVD and HDTV
    Video input:
    S-video: Mini DIN 4-pin input connector x 1
    Composite video: RCA jack x 1
    Audio Input: RCA jack x 2 (L/R)
    Dimensions: 233mm(W) x 176mm(H) x 59mm(D)
    Weight: 1.4Kg (3.1 lbs.)

This unit comes complete with wireless remote control, and the unit can be contacted to a PC via a USB lead so the remote control can be used as a mouse for presentations etc. You also get a soft carry case (great if bringing to a lan party!!), VGA lead (to contact to a PC), S Video Lead, Video/Audio Phono leads (gold plated) power cable, instruction book, audio leads.

2. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    PLease, anyone ??? I would really appreciate some advice :confused:

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the Forums......

I've heard of the "sahara" brand before for can't remember where........ think it might have been a Kodak branding, but not certain.

The specs suggest that it's an office-type projector and if £300 is the top of your budget then it's a start on big-screen entertainment. You haven't indicated where you're sourcing the projector (no, I don't want to steal your bargain !!) - if it was me I'd want to know a little more about it - if it's ex-rental it might have led a rough life - lots of switching on and off when making presentations etc which might affect the life of the lamp - I'd want to know how much a replacement lamp is etc. The hours you quote on the lamp arefairly low - how certain are you of these figures ? If it's coming from a known source (like a family members place of work or something) then you might take comfort from them telling you that it was rarely used... if it's from eBay, you might want to be a bit more circumspect.

If you were willing to wait a month or so and save another £150 or thereabouts you could pick up a more suitable projector from one of the members here on the "Hardware for Sale" forum......... £450 - £500 prijectors do come up now and then - do a search there and see.

Don't be disheartened by having to wait 5 hours for a reply (!!) particularly on a Friday - most of us have jobs and familys and traffic is usually slower here at the weekend.

In the realm of things £300 isn't a huge amount to spend on a projector, but I recognise that it's everything if it's your whole budget. If you've never had a projector before I'm sure you'd be happy with the result, but if the lamp blew after a few weeks and you were looking at £500 to replace the lamp it would not be a good result at all.

Sean G.

4. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for you reply, I have browsed there forums for quite a while, but never got around to registering; my lack og knowledge in this area leaves me with little advice to offer people ;)

I have done some research and apparently the specs given were not correct :(
    This link has the correct specs, which look more realistic for the price

http://www.delta.com.tw/pdf/LCD_Projector2100_3150.pdf

The person who is selling it posted it in a forum's for sale thread. They are sxelling it because they need the money to pay bills. Apparently it has been used for games and films, as I want to use it for. I doubt the replacement lamps are that cheap (none are ! :) ) so if it went pop after a week I would probably have to sell it on.

I am not sure about it now though. Do you think the specs would be suitable for films ? The contrast ratio is only 1:200 which seems to be about as low as possible, and the 800x600 resolution is a bit low for me.... I run all my things on 1280x1024

I have found that the person has also put it on ebay, so I may see if I can get it cheaper on there, as they have no reserve :). But I doubt it's possible with all the ideots on ebay who are willing to pay double the new price

Any more input greatly appreciated ;)

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the contrast ratio is 1:200, then I wouldn't consider it suitable...... but then I haven't seen the thing in action...........

Look, I don't want to be in a position of telling you what you should do, but if I was in your place, there's no way I'd buy a projector with that spec where I knew nothing about the history of the machine; If the lamp goes pop, it could be practically worthless, (you're willing to pay £300 for it, the seller doesn't seem to have a queue of potential buyers for it if it's on sale on a forum and is also now on eBay, if a replacement lamp cost is, say, £300, how much do you think anyone would pay for it ?? ) so you should rethink the idea that you could sell it on. The issue of your budget is very relevant here - someone in a different position might think it worth a "punt" on eBay for £250 - if it went belly up they might not be too fussed about the loss, but you might not want to take that chance.

If it was me, I'd save a little more and buy a secondhand projector from the forums here - £500 will buy you a hell of a lot more performance, and people who sell on their projectors here will usually have a posting history and will be honest in describing it's condition etc. There has been be a couple of Philips projectors sold here, full guarantee, 6000hrs lamplife etc. recently for not much more money than that from a very well respected forum member and there could be a few more, that would be a far better proposition.

Ultimately, it's your money, and it's up to you how you spend it, but that's the best opinion I can give you.

Sean G.

6. Lexeus

Lexeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

I think you are right, its not really worth spending the money on it. It looked like a good deal before when the specs were false, but now I know the real specs its not really worth risking it. I have found it hard to get any info from the seller, and I have discovered that the description posted was almost identical to one from another higher spec Sahara projector being sold on ebay, so it looks like it was just copied and pasted. Despite knowing the specs are wrong the seller has neglected to edit the details on the ebay auction too..... so probably not the most reliable seller.

See here : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22610&item=5706332882&rd=1

Hope its not against the rules to post ebay links ? Sorry if it is ...

Thanks for the advice :)