Beginner - Help Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bjp1979, Dec 7, 2001.

1. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm using a Toshiba SD2109 and a Sony Wega LS28 TV.

I'm about to invest in a home theatre setup, but I really know very little about audio - practically nothing.

Basically, Ive done some looking around, and narrowed it down to two systems - both have DTS, 5.1 etc.

A Yamaha AVS 77

http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/yamaha_home_cinema/yamaha_Systems/av-s77/av-s77.asp

and the Videologic DTS Digitheatre - for considerably more.

http://www.videologic.com/Products/VL-60421/ProductIntro.asp?Product=VL-60421

Now I'm thinking of ringing up the web-site, and ordering the Yamaha, which they have for £250, but I'm wondering why the Digitheatre DTS is much more expensive at £350. Is it because it has higher wattage.

Or will the Yamaha need some other component to work with the Toshiba dvd player (which has no decoder on board) - why the £100 difference in price for systems that both have DTS?

Have I missed something?

Please help in leymans terms!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No you haven't missed anything. Both units are amplifiers with five small speakers and a subwoofer and you can connect up your DVD player to either for 5.1 surround sound.

I cannot comment on the performance of either unit as I haven't heard them but to be brutally honest they are both at the very bottom of the price scale and the performance will not be as good as separates which will admittedly cost you more.

Ian

3. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never had any problems with Yamaha Amps, CD players, Tuners, Subs over the years. Whilst I do not have the unit you talk about, I do like Yamaha products and would guess that it would be a safe bet

;)

4. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help so far - can anyone tell me why there's a £100 price gap between the Yamaha and Videologic systems?

5. iwilson

iwilson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The price difference can be put down to a myriad of factors. Better quality speakers, amplification, marketing etc etc. Price is often not a good judge of performance. The problem with these satellite speaker systems is that there is generally a gap in frequency response between approx. 80 and 120hz.

The best advice is to go out and listen to them both. Preferably at the same location. Try and get a demo of a system with full range speakers to see what you'll be missing and decide if you can live with it.

Ian