Beginner and Plasma

Juiceloose

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if the answers to the following are obvious but I know next to nothing about plasma screens.

My current CRT is now 8 years old and I'm considering buying a plasma to replace it. I have a relatively small room so think a screen size of 37 inch is the maximum.

I have just got back from Currys/Comet and the sales guy at both outlets have told me that I must buy either the Philips, Sony or Pioneer units as they come with a tv tuner box without which I will not be able to watch anything.

Is this actually the case ?? I have a pioneer On Digital box which I use for digi tv purposes and wonder if there is someway that I could use this as my tuning box and then just buy a plasma screen.

If that is the case can anyone suggest any suitable screens of 32 or 37 inch.

I also have a VCR and DVD player as well as the Denon 3802 so would also need to connect them up to the plasma unit. Can I only do this via the tuner box which the sales guy referred to ?

Any help would be greatefully appreciated.

Steve.

:confused:

Yes, Go for the Panasonic 37 incher available from loads of places [www.av-sales.com, www.plasma4u.com etc] Buy one of John's RGB to VGA or RGB to component boxes from www.rgbtosvideo.com and set the ondigital box to RGB out. And you'll be able to do it without the tuner. I'm more or less doing the same thing with my Pace cable box. The panny 37 inch is fantastic.

Cheers,
Neil.

Neil,

Thanks for that.

I'll go and have a read of my Pioneer Digibox manual to see if it will allow me to select RGB out. I haven't go a clue what RGB and all the other technical terms mean i.e progressive scan etc. etc.

Do I connect my DVD and VCR via the same box from John ?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Just go into the Picture menu. It isnt hard. And RGB basically makes your picture better:cool:

Originally posted by Juiceloose
Neil,

Thanks for that.

I'll go and have a read of my Pioneer Digibox manual to see if it will allow me to select RGB out. I haven't go a clue what RGB and all the other technical terms mean i.e progressive scan etc. etc.

Do I connect my DVD and VCR via the same box from John ?

Many thanks,

Steve.

I'm assuming you use SCART out from the digibox?
If so all you are doing is plugging the SCART lead that used to go into your TV into the device that John sells, and connecting that device to your PLASMA.

If you aren't using SCART out, then buy a decent SCART cable and setup your digibox for SCART OUT, it should be fairly straight forward, and your picture will improve drastically.

Cheers,
Neil.

Neil,

Thanks again for your advice.

I've currently got the following connections:

Scart from Digibox to TV
Scart from Digibox to VCR
Co-Axial cable from VCR to TV
SVideo from DVD to TV

I understand your instructions re digibox to Johns box but will I need additional boxes for all the other connections.

As an aside which is the best method of connection for the best picture and sound ? Scart, Svideo ??

Thanks again,

Steve.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom