1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Before i start to channel..speaker positions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Matt, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am in the process of redecorating my living room so have the chance (other half permitting) to chennel out the walls and get my Home cinema set-up sorted out for the first time in years. The problem is that i cannot work out the best place for the surround speakers.

The TV would go in a bay window with the front speakers about 2m apart. The sofa would sit in one half of the room, below a beam (used to be two rooms, now knocked into one) shown below

[​IMG]

So the two places the speakers could go would be 1 or 2

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The problem with the rear right is that it would be in an alcove by the chimney breast so i guess thats not ideal.
    The only way to really tell would be to try out both options but wondered what people thought might be best.

2. conkerman

conkerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    What rears do you have. A dipole type rear would probably be OK in both of thes positions.

3. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'm just about to site my surround right speaker in the alcove, like your position "1" but opposite it, i.e. on the side of the chimney breast.

It will be on a wall-mounted speaker bracket and turned through 90°, facing out into the room, which means it will be about 15" away from the alcove wall behind it. I haven't run the system yet and am hoping that the speaker won't boom too much, it being rear-ported. If it does, I'll have to bung the port up.

The reason it is on that side of the alcove is it's a surround in a 7.1 set-up, the rears are on the rear wall (i.e. where your space through to the other room is) and I didn't want them too close.

4. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry should have said, they are Mission M7DS bipoles